Goalkeeping over the years (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the goalkeeping position at the club has been the one area there doesn't seem to be any priority on investing. The last few years because of the tight financial situation each manager has overlooked the GK area to concentrate on other areas. It seems managers hope whatever the academy churns out will be 'ok' to get us by.

The last decent keeper we had was Murphy. Goals win you games (another issue) but a top keeper can clock up vital points over the season.

steve82

It's bizarre how previous managed have opted not to invest in a senior keeper, you can only suggest the budget hasn't been able to stretch to cover one at times or simply opted not too being happy with what we have.

Pressley, TM and now MR have entered a season without one.

We've had Alsop, RCC, O'Brien and Burge who's about to enter the CCFC 100 club.

4 errors 2 apiece isn't good stats in a poor league.

One needs releasing this summer for me it's Burge who should be given a free transfer as O'Brien seems on what we've seen slightly better.

Preference would be a senior keeper for No 1 spot should we gain promotion.

AFCCOVENTRY

It's bizarre how previous managed have opted not to invest in a senior keeper, you can only suggest the budget hasn't been able to stretch to cover one at times or simply opted not too being happy with what we have.

One needs releasing this summer for me it's Burge who should be given a free transfer as O'Brien seems on what we've seen slightly better.

Agree. If we had a senior/experienced decent keeper it might have helped prevent us from relegation last year.

steve82

Agree. If we had a senior/experienced decent keeper it might have helped prevent us from relegation last year.

I'm not convinced, the spine of the side was still weak. A senior keeper would of most likely helped as Lee Burge did make errors along with RCC but overall it would of been a huge task still.

I think it's time for O'Brien was given a run of games again and a decision made over the summer.

SlowerThanPlatt

The stats are:

Burge played 82 games at L1 & L2 level and conceded 95 goals

O’Brien played 55 games at L2 level (never played at L1) and conceded 101 goals

Burge concedes 1.15 goals a game over his league career

O’Brien concedes 1.83 goals a game over his league career

Terry Gibson's perm

Is burge entering the 100 errors club

pastythegreat

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the goalkeeping position at the club has been the one area there doesn't seem to be any priority on investing. The last few years because of the tight financial situation each manager has overlooked the GK area to concentrate on other areas. It seems managers hope whatever the academy churns out will be 'ok' to get us by.

The last decent keeper we had was Murphy. Goals win you games (another issue) but a top keeper can clock up vital points over the season.
The last decent keeper we had was Westwood

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JulianDarbyFTW

Only fair way to judge it is to look at how many cock-ups other L1 and L2 keepers have made that cost goals. Apart from the McNulty one at the start of the season (which was more like the defenders fault tbf) can anyone think of one in our favour in the last season or two?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I really would argue about Murphy being decent.

See when Murphy first arrived I wasn’t his biggest fan. Thought as he came Fromm scunthorpe we weren’t being ambitious by signing him. But I must say he was a top keeper for us. And didn’t want to see him leave.

Investment in that area has always been a problem.

We’ve tried the academy route - Montgomery, Quirke, Hyldgaard, And more recently Burge and RCC (sure there are more)

We’ve tried the loan route - Allsopp, Fulop (how many years ago was that?), Schmiechal, was there a lad from Man U at one point?

Ones we’ve brought (possibly all free transfers?) - Westwood, Murphy, O’Brien

Bar Schmiechal, Fulop, Westwood and Murphy I think that list shows we’ve never been lucky in the GK position and have rarely invested in it

pastythegreat

You were clearly not at Upton Park on January 2nd 2012. We lost 1-0 to West Ham, Joe Murphy produced the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen from a City goalkeeper in the last 40 years or so.
Murphy was a great shot stopper. Nothing more, nothing less! Decent in 1on1 situations and decent reflexes, but, (much like Burge) rarely left his 6 yard box!

The difference between a decent keeper and a poor 1 over a season is maybe 10 or so points!
The amount that would of seen us promoted under Mowbray (or at least in the play offs) and the amount that would of saved us relegation last year! It 110% needs addressing. How many of the big teams (Barca, Man City, Chelsea, Madrid etc) win titles using 2 inexperienced keepers fighting for game time? ZERO!!! Why we've had 4 or 5 managers now happy to play like that is beyond Me!
The stats of clean sheets and so from this season I think are reading well but when you look at teams we play, Newport at home, 1 shot on target, keeper fuck up, goal. 11 men defended. Easily, in all my years of watching football at many different levels, the most negative team I've seen! We've played so many negative (non attacking) teams this season! When teams do attack they pass it around us so easily.

bringbackrattles

We've had some great keepers over the years. Glazier, Sealey, Blyth, Westwood to name just a few. The great managers like Busby, Clough, Shankly, Ferguson, always built their sides from the back starting with a keeper. Emphasis these days seems to go with a striker first when a manager is given money to strengthen etc. Yet a solid keeper behind a strong defence can be worth valuable points over a long season.

stevefloyd

I'm not convinced, the spine of the side was still weak. A senior keeper would of most likely helped as Lee Burge did make errors along with RCC but overall it would of been a huge task still.

I think it's time for O'Brien was given a run of games again and a decision made over the summer.
The same thing that cost us relegation last season may well cost us promotion this season...goals

JuFoster

Totally agree - last good keeper was Westwood, Murphy was decent too, but only at L2 or L1 level.
Have never understood why we don’t sign an experience keeper, someone like Scott Shearer, Rob Green, even Jaaskelinen have all signed for clubs and been decent enough. Could’ve really helped one of our younger keepers improve too.
The problem with Burge is that he’s been made to feel like a solid first team keeper - when really he is not that good. He has to dropped for O Brien for the next game

Otis

Totally agree - last good keeper was Westwood, Murphy was decent too, but only at L2 or L1 level.
Have never understood why we don’t sign an experience keeper, someone like Scott Shearer, Rob Green, even Jaaskelinen have all signed for clubs and been decent enough. Could’ve really helped one of our younger keepers improve too.
The problem with Burge is that he’s been made to feel like a solid first team keeper - when really he is not that good. He has to dropped for O Brien for the next game
I liked O'Brien at first, but I am now not sure about him either. :(

Bennosdancingfeet

This has probably been said before but maybe ogrizovic could be part of the problem? I know he’s a legend in many peoples eyes but being a good keeper don’t make you a good coach.

BackRoomRummermill

You have forgotten Kirkland was the best Keeper we ever had and went on to Play for England and Premier, I find it strange you all forgot to be honest

Mucca Mad Boys

Murphy was a great shot stopper. Nothing more, nothing less! Decent in 1on1 situations and decent reflexes, but, (much like Burge) rarely left his 6 yard box!

The difference between a decent keeper and a poor 1 over a season is maybe 10 or so points!
The amount that would of seen us promoted under Mowbray (or at least in the play offs) and the amount that would of saved us relegation last year! It 110% needs addressing. How many of the big teams (Barca, Man City, Chelsea, Madrid etc) win titles using 2 inexperienced keepers fighting for game time? ZERO!!! Why we've had 4 or 5 managers now happy to play like that is beyond Me!
The stats of clean sheets and so from this season I think are reading well but when you look at teams we play, Newport at home, 1 shot on target, keeper fuck up, goal. 11 men defended. Easily, in all my years of watching football at many different levels, the most negative team I've seen! We've played so many negative (non attacking) teams this season! When teams do attack they pass it around us so easily.

Joe Murphy was an excellent goalkeeper for us, he wasn't the finished article, but not many Championship goalkeepers are. In my mind, Westwood was a deity he was that good. I was convinced he'd be a Prem GK after us - well, he wasn't...

I love how the example you've used to make your point is Barca, Man City, Chelsea and Madrid, compared to us!? All these teams, compared to us, literally have endless resources. Man City pay £50m for full backs... And even last year they were stuck with Bravo, who had the worst save % in the league.

I think of all the positions we needed to strengthen in the summer, and even this window, GK was probably at the bottom of the list of priorities. Burge is a good L2 GK, no question about it. The mistake yesterday cost us a goal but he's made 2 mistakes in 20 games, and the usual suspects are calling for LOB to be reinstated to the 1st team. He looked a bit all over the place for a few chances at Stoke, and he was responsible for 2 mistakes consecutively against the lesser teams in this division and deservedly lost the shirt he'd earned with his early performances.

All this talk of Burge doing well this season because of the defence in front of him, you can't completely put it down to that, because he's made less mistakes (as in a games:mistakes ratio) than LOB who's had the same defence in front of him.

As for GK over the years, it's actually a position I've been happy with, we had Hedman when I first started keeping track of us and since had; Steele, Fulop, Marshall, Schmeichel, Westwood, Murphy. I also seem to remember Bywater being terrible for us, but he's had a good career since us so I don't know if I was being fair or not. Say what you like, but even in the last few seasons, I just don't think goalkeeper has been that much of a priority compared to other positions.

My 2p.

pastythegreat

Correct, but Schmeichel has to be considered decent ....now.
Forgot about him tbf. Although he again was young and learning his trade and still not the "experienced" keeper were crying out for.
He relegated Leicester so I'll class him as a good keeper though!

pastythegreat

Joe Murphy was an excellent goalkeeper for us, he wasn't the finished article, but not many Championship goalkeepers are. In my mind, Westwood was a deity he was that good. I was convinced he'd be a Prem GK after us - well, he wasn't...

I love how the example you've used to make your point is Barca, Man City, Chelsea and Madrid, compared to us!? All these teams, compared to us, literally have endless resources. Man City pay £50m for full backs... And even last year they were stuck with Bravo, who had the worst save % in the league.

I think of all the positions we needed to strengthen in the summer, and even this window, GK was probably at the bottom of the list of priorities. Burge is a good L2 GK, no question about it. The mistake yesterday cost us a goal but he's made 2 mistakes in 20 games, and the usual suspects are calling for LOB to be reinstated to the 1st team. He looked a bit all over the place for a few chances at Stoke, and he was responsible for 2 mistakes consecutively against the lesser teams in this division and deservedly lost the shirt he'd earned with his early performances.

All this talk of Burge doing well this season because of the defence in front of him, you can't completely put it down to that, because he's made less mistakes (as in a games:mistakes ratio) than LOB who's had the same defence in front of him.

As for GK over the years, it's actually a position I've been happy with, we had Hedman when I first started keeping track of us and since had; Steele, Fulop, Marshall, Schmeichel, Westwood, Murphy. I also seem to remember Bywater being terrible for us, but he's had a good career since us so I don't know if I was being fair or not. Say what you like, but even in the last few seasons, I just don't think goalkeeper has been that much of a priority compared to other positions.

My 2p.
How has Burge made less mistakes than OB this season? Percentage wise yes, but both at fault now for 2 goals each this season!
My biggest criticism of Burge is his dreadful distribution. The reason why I'd of kept RCC this season and let Burge go.

steve82

How has Burge made less mistakes than OB this season? Percentage wise yes, but both at fault now for 2 goals each this season!
My biggest criticism of Burge is his dreadful distribution. The reason why I'd of kept RCC this season and let Burge go.

It's 2-2 in my book and bizarrely identical errors.

O'Brien has received criticism for coming to claim risky balls v stoke yet Burge has too that's gone under the radar due to his clean sheets. Burge has also gone on crazy wonders recently and got away with them till yesterday.

Burge has improved fractionally but not enough to rave about as his decision making and distribution remains questionable. Tho there has been minor improvements in the later recently

Both have there supporters while most remain neutral in saying both ain't the desired answer from what we've seen.

Mucca Mad Boys

Well, because O'Brien has played 4 league games compared to Burge's 23. O'Brien has fucked up in 50% of his league appearances (4), compared to Burge's 8.7% (23)...

It would be fair enough had they played a similar amount of games, but Burge has played nearly 20 more games than LOB.

pastythegreat

Well, because O'Brien has played 4 league games compared to Burge's 23. O'Brien has fucked up in 50% of his league appearances (4), compared to Burge's 8.7% (23)...

It would be fair enough had they played a similar amount of games, but Burge has played nearly 20 more games than LOB.
Yet they've both made 2 huge blunders this season.
Looking at it your way Burge has played much more game time to his blunders........
But........ other side of the coin, Burge is the FAR more experienced of the 2, but has still made the same amount of mistakes!

ceetee

I seem to remember Murphy being the boo-boys target, mainly , I suspect becase he wasn't Westwood.

Westwood was good, by our recent standards, (and yes i do remenber Bill Glazier, which is why I said recent), but Westwood has hardly moved up through the leagues.

And for what it's worth, I thought Buckland's effort for Grimmer's goal was hardly what I'd expect from someone on the fringe of International call-up

pastythegreat

I seem to remember Murphy being the boo-boys target, mainly , I suspect becase he wasn't Westwood.

Westwood was good, by our recent standards, (and yes i do remenber Bill Glazier, which is why I said recent), but Westwood has hardly moved up through the leagues.

And for what it's worth, I thought Buckland's effort for Grimmer's goal was hardly what I'd expect from someone on the fringe of International call-up
Murphy, for Me, was a lot like Carl Baker! Was hit and miss (on a good day) in the Championship. But once in L1 he looked like a fantastic keeper! Shame we couldn't keep hold of him! Was probably on a big wage though, but a top class L1 keeper, average Championship

Adge

See when Murphy first arrived I wasn’t his biggest fan. Thought as he came Fromm scunthorpe we weren’t being ambitious by signing him. But I must say he was a top keeper for us. And didn’t want to see him leave.

Investment in that area has always been a problem.

We’ve tried the academy route - Montgomery, Quirke, Hyldgaard, And more recently Burge and RCC (sure there are more)

We’ve tried the loan route - Allsopp, Fulop (how many years ago was that?), Schmiechal, was there a lad from Man U at one point?

Ones we’ve brought (possibly all free transfers?) - Westwood, Murphy, O’Brien

Bar Schmiechal, Fulop, Westwood and Murphy I think that list shows we’ve never been lucky in the GK position and have rarely invested in it
Andy Marshall was decent-did you forget about him?

Users who are viewing this thread