Goalkeeper (1 Viewer)

Woolly68

Christy Pym from Exeter City out of contract. Watch both clubs and he’s certainly no worse than Burge.

Great_Expectations

Kieran Westwood, one of the best keepers we’ve had in recent seasons, came from a lower league club and was relatively unknown when we signed him.

I’d much rather us sign a player on the up who can grow and develop with us, than a name on the way down, especially if it’s one who could take a large portion of our budget. The weaknesses Burge displayed don’t necessitate us signing an older established keeper. There will be keepers in our league (or even L2) who can kick, command their area and ultimately have the trust of the defenders in from of them.

Equally if someone of the calibre of Stockdale was available at a significantly reduced salary, then I can understand why MR may go down that route.

Adge

Glad old flappy has now gone like the rest of us-did wonder at the time if we had let the wrong one go (in RCC) and would have been interesting to see if he may have matured during the last 3-4 seasons.
I guess not as the last I heard he was at Shrewsbury? Probably the same level then as Burge will be at next season.

better days

I mentioned Eliot Justham in an earlier thread
He's just signed a new contract at Dagenham & Redbridge to the delight of their fans who think he's the best keeper in the National League
Tim Howard is part of the American group who own the club & he knows a good keeper when he sees one
The lad is ambitious and would come to Cov

Reactions: vow

Mucca Mad Boys

Glad old flappy has now gone like the rest of us-did wonder at the time if we had let the wrong one go (in RCC) and would have been interesting to see if he may have matured during the last 3-4 seasons.
I guess not as the last I heard he was at Shrewsbury? Probably the same level then as Burge will be at next season.

Not a chance. Burge has done far better than RCC since we let him go. RCC’s last game was for Swindon last season. Which tells you something about RCC. Now Burge is leaving, it would be nice not to discuss him! I wish him best the luck going forward.

We just need a better keeper than both of them.

Let’s see what MR and his team come up with. An experienced GK like Stockdale seems like a sensible choice if he were to become available!

Esoterica

We have
He's in the last chance saloon now
I guess he has some maverick qualities which would make him very interesting if he was doing the basics solidly too. To give him another year, on the wages he must be on, to see if he can mature and iron out the mistakes is pretty low risk if it isn't inhibiting the development of an U18 keeper.

SkyBlueCRJ

I guess he has some maverick qualities which would make him very interesting if he was doing the basics solidly too. To give him another year, on the wages he must be on, to see if he can mature and iron out the mistakes is pretty low risk if it isn't inhibiting the development of an U18 keeper.

Exactly. His physical attributes make him an attractive prospect and in turn worth developing further. Standing at around 6"4 and just 21 years old it's not that surprising MR wants to take a punt on him for another year. Given Robins has pretty a significant recruitment job on his hands this summer, there's no sense in completely re-hauling the squad because young players aren't quite where they need to be in terms of their own personal development. It creates unnecessary work for Robins and disrupts the squad chemistry. Plus, sometimes a club need to show a little faith in their youngsters.

covcity4life

Chris wilder on football focus earlier tlaking about how goalkeeper is thr most important signing

Excisted to see who robins brings in

Mask

Joe Day for Newport has looked really good during their two play off games against Mansfield and during their entire FA Cup run. Maybe we wouldn't want to dip back into League Two for a young keeper but he seems impressive...

harvey098

Burge was unfairly treated by the large majority on here. He made mistakes but when you watch the league one goals, the standard of keeping is shocking throughout this level.

I don’t think we’ll get anyone vastly better than Burge tbh but we’ll see in a few weeks.

I was genuinely embarrassed to be a city fan when we ironically cheered him catching a ball after making a mistake then we wonder why he looks nervous coming for crosses etc.. good luck to him elsewhere.

Greggs

Burge was unfairly treated by the large majority on here. He made mistakes but when you watch the league one goals, the standard of keeping is shocking throughout this level.

I don’t think we’ll get anyone vastly better than Burge tbh but we’ll see in a few weeks.

I was genuinely embarrassed to be a city fan when we ironically cheered him catching a ball after making a mistake then we wonder why he looks nervous coming for crosses etc.. good luck to him elsewhere.

Did you politely clap when he came flapping for crosses, did you stand up and cheer when he cleared the ball straight to opposition strikers and did you shake his hand for not signing a new contract?

Nick

Administrator
Did you politely clap when he came flapping for crosses, did you stand up and cheer when he cleared the ball straight to opposition strikers and did you shake his hand for not signing a new contract?
He didnt get offered one.

skybluesam66

Burge had a good spell earlier in the season - but xmas onwards was the worst i have seen of any city keeper and cost us the play offs without doubt, through basic errors, that I would expect an U18 keeper not to make

SkyBlueCRJ

Joe Day for Newport has looked really good during their two play off games against Mansfield and during their entire FA Cup run. Maybe we wouldn't want to dip back into League Two for a young keeper but he seems impressive...

He's not that young, isn't he about 28? One of the better goalkeepers at League Two level though.

Grendel

Ha ha what a wet blanket you are

fernandopartridge

He wasn't, he has played 150+ times yet in the second half of this season made the same elementary errors he'd made in his first few games and at greater frequency. I defended him for a long time and recognise some of the good aspects of his game, but ultimately he does cost too many goals and has to go.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Point 1) I dont think he was harshly treated on here. He made way too many errors, can't claim a cross and has worse distribution than I.
Point 2) If this is true, it is a major concern for us
Point 3) I do however agree with this. It wasn't on, it benefitted noone and it wouldn't have done the lads confidence any good. I think people should be able to give their opinions on players etc but to humiliate your own player wasn't on in my book.
I hold no ill feeling towards him, but it is right for both parties that he has moved on. We need someone better.

ccfcricoh

Burge had a good spell earlier in the season - but xmas onwards was the worst i have seen of any city keeper and cost us the play offs without doubt, through basic errors, that I would expect an U18 keeper not to make
Bollocks did he... we conceded less goals than Donny and P'boro last season but couldnt score more than the likes of Plymouth... Putting away chances was last seasons main issue.

Don't get me wrong I think we can (and will) sign a better keeper than Burge, but he didn't single handedly cost us the play offs

SkyBlueCRJ

The fact that we roughly scored the same amount of goals as both Walsall and Plymouth had nothing to do with costing us promotion then? Just to put it into perspective, McNulty scored more goals on his own last season than our current leading goalscorers (Hiwula, Chaplin and Bakayoko) combined. So, you'll probably find that our forwards consistently failing to finish chances has cost us more points than Burge over the course of the season. Fingers should be pointed especially at the likes of Chaplin, Thomas and even Hiwula in my opinion.

We conceded less goals than all of the teams around us: Doncaster, Peterborough and Burton. Granted we had a fantastic defence and Burge may have had a fair few howlers, but to blame him solely for costing us promotion is completely misguided.

Last edited:

Mask

He's not that young, isn't he about 28? One of the better goalkeepers at League Two level though.
Ah didn't realise he was quite that old. Had him down as 24 or so. I think if we're going up to the late 20's perhaps a more experienced keeper is needed, preferably one with experience of the higher leagues. It's a tough one.

clint van damme

Watching Sunderland v Pompey the other night it was obvious we weren't a million miles behind either team at the end of last season but both clearly have better keepers.

SkyBlueCRJ

Ah didn't realise he was quite that old. Had him down as 24 or so. I think if we're going up to the late 20's perhaps a more experienced keeper is needed, preferably one with experience of the higher leagues. It's a tough one.

Apart from a handful of appearances at Peterborough, Joe Day hasn't consistently played higher than League Two which doesn't fill me with confidence considering he's nearly 29. I'd suggest he'd be an effective No.2. but realistically we need someone of a far better pedigree between the posts if we're to have a go at achieving promotion next season.

harvey098

This is one of the more bizzare posts I’ve ever seen on here (and that’s saying something). Why would I cheer when he cleared the ball to an opposition striker?

Out of interest, who would you replace Burge with?

harvey098

Point 1) I dont think he was harshly treated on here. He made way too many errors, can't claim a cross and has worse distribution than I.
Point 2) If this is true, it is a major concern for us
Point 3) I do however agree with this. It wasn't on, it benefitted noone and it wouldn't have done the lads confidence any good. I think people should be able to give their opinions on players etc but to humiliate your own player wasn't on in my book.
I hold no ill feeling towards him, but it is right for both parties that he has moved on. We need someone better.

Point 1) You haven’t been to many games if you didn’t hear the constant abuse he had to endure this season from our own fans.

Point 2) If you disagree, who would you sign that is better?

Point 3) We agree.

Grendel

This is one of the more bizzare posts I’ve ever seen on here (and that’s saying something). Why would I cheer when he cleared the ball to an opposition striker?

Out of interest, who would you replace Burge with?

The last line is the ultimate get out - what you really should be asking is would any of the top 6 teams in this league want Burge as their keeper? Answer - no.

RoboCCFC90

Burge made simple mistakes, but beyond that the issue was, he didn't do it once, twice or three times, it was beyond that.

His form in the season just gone has been woeful and to defend him is borderline madness.

If LOB had been fit I am sure he would have been put into the team at some point because Burge was woeful.

higgs

I trust robin's judgement and if burge was consistently producing the goods he would have been offered a new contract. The lack of one says it all really

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bristol sky blue

Going back to original post...

Have spoken to several Bristol City fans... who are relieved that Frank Fielding is off their books. Decent shot stopper, not good at taking crosses at all, according to them.

Never seen him play myself, but from what others are saying he doesn't sound like the answer for us. Be delighted if he signed and proved me wrong though.

hamil99

Facebook User
I think we should go for Christy Pym from Exeter. I live in the city and the fans all hope Pym signs the contact hes been offered, but they are not hopeful. He's very highly rated down here, with some people saying he would be harder to replace than Stockley. Something ive only just learned though is that hes 6 foot tall, do people think that's to short for a keeper? He's seemed to do well whenever i have watched him, so he never came across as short, or maybe all their defenders were tiny :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Last edited:

no_loyalty

31yr old Stephen Henderson has been released by Notts Forest, however he has only played 198 games since his career began in 2007, so don't know how good he is?

Users who are viewing this thread