Gillingham Match Thread - The Ricoh Return (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Your insinuating I was being purely negative when in fact there were 3 positives and 3 negatives, that's what you would call a balanced assessment.

Point taken. I just wanted to enjoy one day to the fullest. God knows we haven't had many lately.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Disappointed with the lack of urgency shown from 75 mins on. Also thought we maybe looked a bit unfit, which was surprising given Pressley's a stickler for it. Decision-making tailed off badly in the last 20 which is often a sign of tiring bodies and minds.

Nonleagueherewecome

Shame about the finish by O'Brien, but it was another one of those Robson-esque late runs from midfield from him that lead to a lot of our best chances. Anyone see who played the cracking ball in to him?.

CWR confirms that it was Thomas who played that lovely pass.

Hobo

Allsop? Thomas? Tudgay? Not convinced, but the rest is a nucleus of a good side. A work in progress and progress we have made. Not only come home but secured a win, I have seen many city sides buckle before big crowds with slender leads.

Well done lads!

stupot07

Misplaced a couple of passes and caught in possession once, but otherwise some good passing and pressing. I really like his movement, especially that forward run down the right near the end. Gets forwards well now-shame he'll never be able to finish!

Agreed. Fleck lost the ball as many times as Thomas tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

mark82

Agreed. Fleck lost the ball as many times as Thomas tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I thought Fleck was excellent tonight personally. Nouble looks a good player for this level.

torchomatic

Just got back. Brilliant night and a brilliant atmosphere.

stupot07

I thought Fleck was excellent tonight personally. Nouble looks a good player for this level.

I thought all 3 midfielders were outstanding tonight.

I wasn't taking a pop at fleck

mark82

I thought all 3 midfielders were outstanding tonight.

Yeah I did. Thomas did ok. Not as bad as some like to make out. McWank looked decent too. Reds is a big guy, did well. Haynes had a good first half and reasonable second half. Good team all round.

mark82

Yeah I did. Thomas did ok. Not as bad as some like to make out. McWank looked decent too. Reds is a big guy, did well. Haynes had a good first half and reasonable second half. Good team all round.

Not impressed with Allsop either. Made me nervous!

Otis

Despite your attempts to say the opposite Thomas again was poor.

Thought Thomas was brilliant first half. Our best player. 2nd half though he was like a different player, misplacing passes and getting caught in possession.

The player that disappointed me the most was Marcus Tudgay, who was just about anonymous. Not at all the player I thought he was going to be tonight. Slow, sluggish and always seemingly trying to give the ball back to someone else the minute he got hold of it.

torchomatic

KNow what you mean, thought that all season, but he's getting on a bit and that pitch is pretty big. Best game I've seen Fleck play in a long time. Even Conor Thomas looked good tonight.

Disappointed with Tudgay. Offered nothing.

The CableGuy

Allsop? Thomas? Tudgay? Not convinced, but the rest is a nucleus of a good side. A work in progress and progress we have made. Not only come home but secured a win, I have seen many city sides buckle before big crowds with slender leads.

Well done lads!

Agreed, our record at CV6 in front of big crowds isn't that great, so glad we actually done the job tonight.

LilleSkyBlue

Watched on TV. 6/10 from City for me. Some exciting mini-spells and we rarely looked in real trouble. Sumpuous move for our goal, Haynes outstanding for most of the first half. The last 15 minutes were strange, like we'd given up trying to build any attacks. Even saw defensive punts forward from 15 yards inside their half. Tudgay anonymous.

Allsop was fine(ish) except for his rush out of the area in the second half and his failure to collect the ball leading to that own-goalorama that thankfully never happened.

Dunno about Thomas, seemed all right, but far from great.

In tears when they came out for kick-off, pleased to see the mad hatters back where they belong.

Can't ask for much more really though, looking forward to the rest of the season, finally competing on a level footing.

Fantastic crowd, Lille was rocking with beer and the Sky Blue song tonight.

Will try to get over for a match in October or something, proud isn't the word.

stupot07

Thought Thomas was brilliant first half. Our best player. 2nd half though he was like a different player, misplacing passes and getting caught in possession.

The player that disappointed me the most was Marcus Tudgay, who was just about anonymous. Not at all the player I thought he was going to be tonight. Slow, sluggish and always seemingly trying to give the ball back to someone else the minute he got hold of it.

Yeah, completely agree

The midfield of Fleck , Thomas and O Brien will be pivotal to how well we fare this season. Don't get a lot of the posts on here criticising Fleck and Thomas in particular. The movement and touch of both were outstanding ( especially for League One standard) and are instrumental in how we set up. O Brien is a difficult one, shows glimpses of real Quality but for me always wants an extra touch of the ball. Maybe in terms of opinion our new Baker?. Take Fleck Thomas and Johnson out of that side and it looks very ordinary

great to be back moaning though :)

PUSB

mrtrench

Midfield was really effective in the first half for me, but poor in the second. Defence is better - but crikey how poor is attack now? Nouble showed some touches of skill but cannot hold the ball up, which after all is his principal role! His first touch was dreadful. Tudgay did nothing. How many goals would we have scored if we still had Wilson and Clarke?

Ryan Haynes? I will be surprised if he is still a Cov' player this time next year.

Nonleagueherewecome

Despite your attempts to say the opposite Thomas again was poor.

Despite your attempt to imply that I have alone have poor judgement, I'm happy enough to be agreeing with the likes of Stupot and Otis rather than you.

mrtrench

McWank has a really kind face but he's not a striker. Who told him he's a striker? That was unkind.

Sky Blue Pete

Jim obrien has some engine. Him, Haynes, fleck, nouble, Webster, Willis, Johnson, all had 7/10 or more. Thomas was Jekyll and Hyde. Tudgay disappointing and Clarke not a right wing back. Keeper needs to be more decisive. Crowd great. Pressley should have made the last 2 subs earlier. Excellent 3 points and clean sheet.

Otis

great night, great crowd and atmosphere and decent performance in the first half.

The Ricoh showed tonight that it is anything but a cold, soul less stadium didn't it.

It's all relative to success. Get the success and with that come the big crowds. Get the big crowds and you will get the wonderful atmosphere we got tonight. It was a fantastic atmosphere and at times totally deafening too.

Nonleagueherewecome

The midfield of Fleck , Thomas and O Brien will be pivotal to how well we fare this season. Don't get a lot of the posts on here criticising Fleck and Thomas in particular. The movement and touch of both were outstanding ( especially for League One standard) and are instrumental in how we set up. O Brien is a difficult one, shows glimpses of real Quality but for me always wants an extra touch of the ball. Maybe in terms of opinion our new Baker?. Take Fleck Thomas and Johnson out of that side and it looks very ordinary

great to be back moaning though :)

PUSB

I think O'Brien's movement is superb, he buzzes around and makes those runs from deep. His pass for the goal to Haynes was quality, he works hard and he was unlucky not to score. After the brilliant pass by Thomas *cough*.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Thomas first half was very good, he looked a player. Second half tailed off with the rest of the team.

Played some fantastic balls which I didn't think he was capable of today. Pinged a diagonal right into O'Brien? I think which was a beauty it was where he volleyed it wide first time during the second half.

Nonleagueherewecome

KNow what you mean, thought that all season, but he's getting on a bit and that pitch is pretty big. Best game I've seen Fleck play in a long time. Even Conor Thomas looked good tonight.

In terms of his "oh, I really thought that he was older than that"-ness, do you know who he reminds me of? McSheffrey towards the end. Only 31 but moves more like 34. But I still didn't think that he was that bad: he's OK with his back to goal, links play and closes down. Just doesn't look like he has goals in him. Maybe a deeper role would suit him better? He has played in midfield before, hasn't he?

Otis

I think O'Brien's movement is superb, he buzzes around and makes those runs from deep. His pass for the goal to Haynes was quality, he works hard and he was unlucky not to score. After the brilliant pass by Thomas *cough*.

Only criticism I could label at O'Brien is that he's not the most physical player going is he. Got knocked off the ball on 2 or 3 occasions tonight. When he's playing a combatative midfielder like tonight he needs to learn to move the ball on a bit quicker.

He's got a great engine though hasn't he and he covered every single blade of grass. Creates space too. Good acquisition he'll prove to be I think.

Moff

I agree I thought O'Brien was excellent, and put himself around well.
Thomas and Clarke both had better first than second halves and began to run out of steam towards the end.

Moff

Only criticism I could label at O'Brien is that he's not the most physical player going is he. Got knocked off the ball on 2 or 3 occasions tonight. When he's playing a combatative midfielder like tonight he needs to learn to move the ball on a bit quicker.

He's got a great engine though hasn't he and he covered every single blade of grass. Creates space too. Good acquisition he'll prove to be I think.

He did get knocked off a couple of times but they all can. Thomas who is a big lad, got knocked off the ball easily by a smaller Gillingham player just before he went off, , but to be fair it did seem he hadn't had a call and so had no idea the opposition player was on him.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yup. Shades of Andy Morrell's cartoon-legs at times.

Mr T - Sukka!

The Rioch is a souless bowl line has been well and truly blown out of the water today.

Cracking atmosphere and when the whole stadium stood up in unity to stand up if u love city will live long in the memory for me.

Truly magical moment if u were there.

Users who are viewing this thread