Get that clown out of goal (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

No just thick judging by his recent posts

Thanks Martin.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I was playing devil's advocate.

shmmeee

Not saying Collins is incredible, he's better than Wilson.
Same as Bidwell is better than DaSilva.

We need better in both positions. And to be fair there’s time Dasilva is better than Bidwell (despite the memes on here) Wilson has been dreadful every game this season.

Just want a keeper who can catch a ball.

Evo1883

Couldn't believe what was being said pre game yesterday about his ability to command the box , he can't.

I also don't think he's a very good shot stopper backed up by the fact he's conceded 5 of the last 8 shots on target faced .

I struggle with the fact he's back between the sticks tbh , a position we don't need to keep tinkering with .

Collins is better

TomRad85

I honestly think some of you are going to be surprised about who we'd be able to attract. There aren't many in this league better than Collins imo, they all have weaknesses. Also this isn't really about Collins, whether you think he's mediocre or good... fine. It's about the baffling decision to put fucking Ben Wilson back in. A keeper completely out of his depth.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Collins undoubtedly better but neither are at the level I think we need. I’d be shipping Wilson (and Moore, obviously) out and bringing in a new 1st choice.
tbh Wilson's as good as you'd get for a backup, so would be happy for him to hang around. Is a bit surprising he came back in, but guess after a clean sheet and doing nothing wrong really (and yes, I understand he had nothing to do to do wrong!) the temptation is to keep him there. I'd have been just about OK with that if we'd picked the right defence to match up against Preston tbh - that's the greater failing of last night.

As an aside, Woodman looked shaky for them, we just didn't test him at all!

Happy_Martian

That ball in in first 30 secs had frost on it it was so high. Inside the 6 yard box any competent keeper punches or catches that.

Wasn't in the 6 yd box. But are you referring to the ball that is being covered by Thomas ? Or the one where Riis overpowers one of our best CBs (according to fans on here) to have a free header ? Check the video again, Thomas didn't even criticise Wilson after the goal. Maybe he knew that was on him.

And something people may have ignored or overlooked. Wilson had to be wary of the overlapping Preston attacker. Thomas and Riis miss the ball and that guy has a direct shot on goal.

Afterwards, he probably felt guilty hearing all the boos from the stands.

1708776558235.png

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't in the 6 yd box. But are you referring to the ball that is being covered by Thomas ? Or the one where Riis overpowers one of our best CBs (according to fans on here) to have a free header ? Check the video again, Thomas didn't even criticise Wilson after the goal. Maybe he knew that was on him.

And something people may have ignored or overlooked. Wilson had to be wary of the overlapping Preston attacker. Thomas and Riis miss the ball and that guy has a direct shot on goal.

View attachment 34222
Where was it when it was at head height?

That's still a keepers ball all day.

Post op the OG too

Londonccfcfan

View attachment 34222
Watch the replay from a PN vlog. Can clearly see him come out then he back tracks 3 paces to his goal line. Sorry ball was in the air a LONG time he hesitated and that's all it takes. If he comes out and makes a challenge to the striker even though Thomas is there 99/100 he would get the foul.

75% keepers fault.

Happy_Martian

The "delay" in Wilson getting to the ball for the second goal...

Seems to be another defender in the way to protect that ball. Keeper leaves that to his defenders, 9 times out of 10.

1708778177664.png

And the own goal...

1708778298860.png

Weight on his left side to fall that way. Ball goes through his legs. @Nick, are you suggesting he could have stopped it with his legs ? Bent down to collect it ? Remember the speed at which the ball is travelling.

Londonccfcfan

Ffs he can see the flight of the ball clearly it was so high...The ball wasn't fizzed in flat and hard.

It's a harder ball for defenders to defend imo..Still think Thomas coukd have made it more difficult for that.

Happy_Martian

Well, this is going to run and run.

Some fans think he's crap, others think he's being hard done by.

Guess what ? It's not our decision. MR picks his team, not ours.

If he picks Wilson over Collins, regardless of whether you like it or not ...

SUPPORT THE PLAYERS IN THE SHIRT FFS !!!

Nick

Administrator
The "delay" in Wilson getting to the ball for the second goal...

Seems to be another defender in the way to protect that ball. Keeper leaves that to his defenders, 9 times out of 10.

View attachment 34223

And the own goal...

View attachment 34224

Weight on his left side to fall that way. Ball goes through his legs. @Nick, are you suggesting he could have stopped it with his legs ? Bent down to collect it ? Remember the speed at which the ball is travelling.
I'm suggested he could have communicated with his defender to tell him there's no defender behind him so he didn't need to do anything.

Then Wilson could have picked it up.

fernandopartridge

View attachment 34222
It isn't "covered by Thomas", goalkeepers are supposed to command the area. He should shout that he's coming to get it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

Would choose Collins, definitely. But we should be on the look for better. Tbf Wilson has the very short time of the ball being between their attacker and Thomas to communicate that he’s gonna gather the ball. That’s no time at all.

Happy_Martian

The ball was moving and took less than a second to be sent across. So you expect Wilson to shout at Thomas between the Preston player missing it and it hitting Thomas to leave it so he can pick it up ?? Shout before the player missed it ? How would he know if the attacker would miss it or not ?

I know we call Ben Wilson "Super" but he's not faster than light.

Some fans are just desperate to apportion blame. And now Simms is playing his part, Wilson is the boo-boy.

shmmeee

I honestly think some of you are going to be surprised about who we'd be able to attract. There aren't many in this league better than Collins imo, they all have weaknesses. Also this isn't really about Collins, whether you think he's mediocre or good... fine. It's about the baffling decision to put fucking Ben Wilson back in. A keeper completely out of his depth.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I fail to believe there’s not a human out there that can both catch a high ball and pass a football. I agree they don’t seem to be playing football right now but it’s weird that instead of training up commanding keepers to use their feet the sport seems to have dropped commanding keepers entirely.

Happy_Martian

It isn't "covered by Thomas", goalkeepers are supposed to command the area. He should shout that he's coming to get it.

Which he has done before. So you then have to ask what happened for him not to do it this time ? Has he been told to leave them for the CBs ? Did Thomas call him to leave it ? As I've said, Thomas didn't berate Wilson after the goal so wasn't angry about his inaction.

fatso

Couldn't believe what was being said pre game yesterday about his ability to command the box , he can't.

I also don't think he's a very good shot stopper backed up by the fact he's conceded 5 of the last 8 shots on target faced .

I struggle with the fact he's back between the sticks tbh , a position we don't need to keep tinkering with .

Collins is better
Amen

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
No world beaters in this league, we have two of the better ones but we have to stick with one all season rather than swapping them over.

for context, Hull have Ryan Allsopp, I seem to remember far worse threads on him

its as much the defence this year as our goalkeepers

CCFCSteve

View attachment 34222

I 100% agree with supporting players on the pitch but but that’s a very sympathetic photo. The reality…..

053DCBCF-63EE-4A43-8EC9-ACF1226FA481.jpeg

It’s about 4 yards out after a looping cross

Happy_Martian

I 100% agree with supporting players on the pitch but but that’s a very sympathetic photo. The reality…..

It’s about 4 yards out after a looping cross

Okay. I'll ask again then.

Why is Wilson standing there when he's come and collected crosses previously, on his own and in crowds ?

Why doesn't Thomas berate him when the ball hits the net if it was supposed to be the keeper's ball ?

Has Robins told Wilson to stay on his line and leave the crosses to the CBs ?

Did Thomas told him to stay on his line ?

Willing to be educated but I'm not blindly jumping on the boo-boy pile-on because it's cool.

CCFCSteve

Why is Wilson standing there when he's come and collected crosses previously, on his own and in crowds ?

Why doesn't Thomas berate him when the ball hits the net if it was supposed to be the keeper's ball ?

Willing to be educated but I'm not blindly jumping on the boo-boy pile-on because it's cool.

I don’t think it’s a pile on, more questioning whether a goalkeeper should be commanding his six yard box. Thomas isn’t going to berate Wilson as it’s his man who scored, that doesn’t mean a keeper shouldn’t be at least punching that.

I’ve never thought Wilson commands his box or deals with crosses particularly well and said it before inc last season. I’ve also said I like Wilson and he comes across as a great lad but Collins every day of the week for me if he’s fit and available (unless going through really bad form which he wasn’t)

SBAndy

Largely because his decision making is poor. Feel like you could tell he felt he should have come for it when he went a lot further out to punch a ball 10 mins later.

I do wonder, though, how much is down to playing instructions. It strikes me that the vast majority of keepers stay on their line now. A bit like the whole ‘bring everyone back for corners’ thing - when you see every team doing it (give or take a couple) there has to be a wider theory behind it.

Happy_Martian

I don’t think it’s a pile on, more questioning whether a goalkeeper should be commanding his six yard box. Thomas isn’t going to berate Wilson as it’s his man who scored, that doesn’t mean a keeper shouldn’t be at least punching that.

I’ve never thought Wilson commands his box or deals with crosses particularly well and said it before inc last season. I’ve also said I like Wilson and he comes across as a great lad but Collins every day of the week for me if he’s fit and available (unless going through really bad form which he wasn’t)

You answered one of my three questions. Wilson has come out for crosses so it's not unknown to him. So why not this one, especially as it was in the air for so long ?

And was he under instruction, either by Robins or more directly Thomas to stay on his line and Thomas was to take control of the cross ?

I only used pile-on as there has been a mass movement to blame Wilson for everything. Simms has improved so some people need to blame another player. Collins may be better at some things, I don't deny it. But considering how much he's praised, how many goals has he conceded this year ? And that's with our best back 4 supposedly. And never gets blame.

Happy_Martian

Largely because his decision making is poor. Feel like you could tell he felt he should have come for it when he went a lot further out to punch a ball 10 mins later.

I do wonder, though, how much is down to playing instructions. It strikes me that the vast majority of keepers stay on their line now. A bit like the whole ‘bring everyone back for corners’ thing - when you see every team doing it (give or take a couple) there has to be a wider theory behind it.
That's why I asked if it was Robins or Thomas telling him to stay. He has come for crosses before so why not this one ?

SBAndy

That's why I asked if it was Robins or Thomas telling him to stay. He has come for crosses before so why not this one ?

I can say with almost certainty Thomas would not be telling a keeper to stay in that situation. Coaching instructions unsure, like I say, feels like it’s almost discouraged by and large.

But the fact of the matter is he should have come for it, there will definitely be an expectation for him to in that situation. The reaction to the punch I mention tells me he also knew he should have come for it. It’s just poor decision making.

fernandopartridge

A goalkeeper doesn't listen to defenders telling him to stay on his line if they'd even do that, have you ever played football?

Cov98

I'll always support whoever wears the shirt and whether that be Wilson or Collins, I'm hoping they play well and keep a clean sheet.

But lets be honest, Wilson is not a great keeper. Much like the year Lee Burge got in the League 2 team of the year, he was greatly helped by a solid defence last season.

Now obviously I'm not comparing Wilson to Burge but you get my point.

Wilson pulled off some great saves last season and in general improved massively throughout the season, but he's still not at the level needed for a play off chasing championship team.

Collins is better overall but a truly class keeper is hard to find at this level. Most of the best keepers are in the teams that come down from the prem.

Happy_Martian

A goalkeeper doesn't listen to defenders telling him to stay on his line if they'd even do that, have you ever played football?

Yes. And as a defender.

And the other bit you ignored, if your manager says stay on your line and you don't do it, you're out of the team.

You and I have no idea why he chose not to come for that ball. But there does have to be a reason.

PVA

Collins is the better keeper, definitely.

But, in the interest of fairness...

People posted Collins' post shot xG a few weeks ago showing he's one of the best in the league.

Wilson's PSxG last season is better than Collins' this season.

Wilson's is much worse this season of course , but I think it's worth pointing that out to put Collins' season in perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread