Get behind Coventry United, YOUR LOCAL TEAM (1 Viewer)

Gint11

CCFC all day. This Cov Utd or Cov Phoenix is not the way forward.

Greggs

coventry UNITED, playing in RED, 4 business men trying to make a quick buck.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

AFC Coventry playing in Sky Blue, with equal fans input and opportunities please.

I will NOT be supporting Coventry United

SBS

If CCFC cease to exist then itll be Sphinx for me. I don't think I could ever chant "United"

torchomatic

It'll be Leamington for me.

Nick

Administrator
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

AFC Coventry playing in Sky Blue, with equal fans input and opportunities please.

I will NOT be supporting Coventry United

What do you mean by equal fans input?

I think they have said IF CCFC ceased to exist they would look into a name / kit change.

mrbluesky87

CCFC all day. This Cov Utd or Cov Phoenix is not the way forward.

So what is the way forward? I see all ideas suggested but has TF taken any notice of what the fans really think? We are just the shit on the bottom of his shoe. IF and only IF we are playing our games at sixfields then surely a new local team or phoenix are the way forward.

Greggs

If that is the case and you are not "supporting" the new team and simply just watching another team for 3/4 years, what is the point in investing your money into a flash in the pan club which will die as quick as it was made in 3 years time???

Put money into the Sphinx and help them!! They haven't asked for this situation with CCFC whereas the founders of Coventry United are in my own opinion trying to exploit the situation to make a bit of money!!!!

Spot on pal

RoboCCFC90

It has to be Coventry City for me or it's nothing if the Coventry City failed to exist I wouldn't support any team and just be neutral.

Edit: While obviously retaining the hatred of our local and non-local rivals.

ajsccfc

I don't see why any replacement support needs to go to a new club. Sphinx appear to be well-run, are a long-established club and represent the city, and are just a football club rather than a reactionary measure.

Nick

Administrator
If Coventry didn't exist, I wouldn't truly support anybody to be honest. I couldn't just go and support a random team. I could watch them, but it wouldn't be the same.

RoboCCFC90

If Coventry didn't exist, I wouldn't truly support anybody to be honest. I couldn't just go and support a random team. I could watch them, but it wouldn't be the same.

Exactly supporting and loving the club you have so many memories with isn't tranferable.

Greggs

I don't see why any replacement support needs to go to a new club. Sphinx appear to be well-run, are a long-established club and represent the city, and are just a football club rather than a reactionary measure.

Also add to the fact i've played for and against the Sphinx many times. I guess a few CCFC fans could say this too! Adds a bit of romance! Let them move into the Ricoh, i would go for sure :)

andyboy81

Also add to the fact i've played for and against the Sphinx many times. I guess a few CCFC fans could say this too! Adds a bit of romance! Let them move into the Ricoh, i would go for sure :)

Just think what an extra 200 - 300 fans week in week out would do for that club!

Instead people want to give these muppets at Coventry United some money to line their pockets with!! They are no better than the people that put us in this situation in my own personal opinion!!

Greggs

I'm glad a few of us are of the same opinion! :p

Nick

Administrator
Just think what an extra 200 - 300 fans week in week out would do for that club!

Instead people want to give these muppets at Coventry United some money to line their pockets with!! They are no better than the people that put us in this situation in my own personal opinion!!

How do you know without knowing them?

I am put off by the Sphinx, mainly because of when I was younger and some of the players used to stroll round like they were Jonny Concrete Premier League players and were absolute pricks...

Greggs

How do you know without knowing them?

I am put off by the Sphinx, mainly because of when I was younger and some of the players used to stroll round like they were Jonny Concrete Premier League players and were absolute pricks...

Agreed Nick. Loads of them used to play for Keresley Jag, we had some battles against them! BUT...they have fantastic youth set-up from under 8's to under 16s. A VERY good youth team and full squad of reserves! It's not all about the first team posers! I have always said they should have a closer connection to CCFC, maybe now is their chance to step out of the shadows.

andyboy81

Sorry Nick, Maybe the "Muppets" petty namecalling was out of line.

I just don't really trust how quickly this club came about and was pushed onto people as being the only other option.

As I have said earlier, I just think that investing in a club with some history and infrastructure already in place would benefit the local community more than a flash in the pan. You have to look at what will happen when CCFC move back, would Coventry United survive losing all those fans? Sphinx were here before and will be here afterwards.

theferret

Surely you'd just call a new club AFC Coventry City? Why would you lose the 'City' when there is no need to?

Edit: I'm talking about a proper phoenix club rather than a new name for CU.

mark82

Surely you'd just call a new club AFC Coventry City? Why would you lose the 'City' when there is no need to?

FA wouldn't sanction it. The AFC bit is a prefix to denote its a football club and is superfluous like the FC currently at the end of our name. AFC Coventry City and Coventry City FC would both just essentially be Coventry City in the eyes of the FA.

theferret

FA wouldn't sanction it. The AFC bit is a prefix to denote its a football club and is superfluous like the FC currently at the end of our name. AFC Coventry City and Coventry City FC would both just essentially be Coventry City in the eyes of the FA.

It's not a discretionary thing is it? Surely the issue is about trademarks - and Coventry City Football Club is trademarked - but as far as I know 'Coventry City' isn't. As long as you do not contravene trademarks you can call yourselves what you want I would have thought - and the name of the club does not have to match the name of the registered company (as we know). If Wimbledon FC can become AFC Wimbledon, I see no reason why CCFC cannot become AFCCC. Perhaps my understanding is wrong though. I'm pretty sure ashyjan knows the specifics of this.

mark82

It's not a discretionary thing is it? Surely the issue is about trademarks - and Coventry City Football Club is trademarked - but as far as I know 'Coventry City' isn't. As long as you do not contravene trademarks you can call yourselves what you want I would have thought - and the name of the club does not have to match the name of the registered company (as we know). If Wimbledon FC can become AFC Wimbledon, I see no reason why CCFC cannot become AFCCC. Perhaps my understanding is wrong though. I'm pretty sure ashyjan knows the specifics of this.

Maybe you are talking about if CCFC no longer exist. I've not read the whole thread. If so, you are right and we could call ourselves Coventry City.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
good luck to Coventry United amd Coventry Sphinx ........... just that neither are my team.

Other than CCFC I will concemtrate on watching my lad play for whatever team he chooses..... a simple but strong connection neither of the above can replace if there is no CCFC

Last edited:

theferret

Maybe you are talking about if CCFC no longer exist. I've not read the whole thread. If so, you are right and we could call ourselves Coventry City.

Yeah sorry, I was referring to a scenario where CCFC withers away or is liquidated. Obviously, if the two clubs co-existed then I take your point completely.

mark82

Yeah sorry, I was referring to a scenario where CCFC withers away or is liquidated. Obviously, if the two clubs co-existed then I take your point completely.

Probably my mistake. I didn't read the whole thread.

Agree with you though, if CCFC were liquidated we should go as close to the current name as possible. I know the trust own the rights to the name in the event of liquidation. There may need to be a small concession in the official name like AFC or Coventry City 1883 FC, something superfluous that could be dropped.

Brighton Sky Blue

Red and green are the city colours so don't object to that-what I do object to is these people acting like the current CCFC has ceased to exist and is no longer worth fighting for. You won't be getting my support just yet.

shepardo01

Fry I think your completely right there mate. As for "Coventry united" I'm gonna give it a miss, 3 things put me off, there name, the fact red is there main colour and the fact that someone mentioned the guy who set them up is a plastic man united fan.

Shocking standard of football.
COVENTRY Sphinx 3 levels higher.
CCFC as it stands just about still exist.
Very little affiliation with anything CCFC related.
Having played non league football I doubt that whoever is running this pointless vehicle has any idea of the sort of money/standard of players and time it takes to climb the nine league ladder....
And a RED kit!!??.... oh dear....

NorthernWisdom

Red and green are the city colours so don't object to that-what I do object to is these people acting like the current CCFC has ceased to exist and is no longer worth fighting for. You won't be getting my support just yet.

Yeah colours, name, irrelevant.

Saying 'we've set up a new club, fancy popping along?' fine.

All this nonsense linking them to us and how they might change their name etc. if our club folds, looks suspiciously like they're trying to dance on our grave.

Covsphinx_badge.png
Cov Sphinx FC - Sky Blue and 3 spires...

hill83

I've got no problem with them being called 'United' or playing in Red. If they changed to Sky Blue and called themselves 'Jimmy Hills West Terrace 11' I'd be annoyed though. Keep the Red.

I do have a problem with people piping up telling Coventry City fans to support them though. They are not my local team as long as CCFC exist. Have your 'United' let the support grow organically and leave us alone. Getting people's backs up straight away is not a good plan.

Users who are viewing this thread