George Thomas -whats the point (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

useless on saturday - useless today
he has absoloutely nothing to his game

hopefully we wont be seeing him again any time soon

no coincedence that the game turned when he went off

AFCCOVENTRY

He doesn't seem to have improved from last season. He seriously needs a season long loan to a L2 or Conference team.

Great_Expectations

I mentioned the same thing in the match thread. He doesn't seem to add anything to the game. I thought his main strength was pace, but that's certainly not the case based on today.

I don't like criticising our own players, especially youngsters, but he's just a body at the minute and should not be ahead of Rubén or others when fit.

I agree with AFC he need a confidence boost at a lower league club.

steve82

You cannot really judge him on tonight surely? Haynes had a poor first half and lumped the ball over the top a lot for him to try and run on to, the lad had no chance trying to win high balls from the air and over hit balls to chase.
Taking him off at H/T was the correct decision tho for the game as we needed pace up top and a direct runner. JJ gave us this, George Thomas is not that type of player.
People are judging all wrong.
1) he's not Adam Armstrong...
2) he's a different type of player to Armstrong who we should not compare him to a striker who we loaned from a premier league club and turned out to be a luxury to watch who's main strength was his pace.
Sure George has not shone yet but to write him off at this stage is crazy, he's still learning and developing

Cavan O'Doherty

You cannot really judge him on tonight surely? Haynes had a poor first half and lumped the ball over the top a lot for him to try and run on to, the lad had no chance trying to win high balls from the air and over hit balls to chase.
Taking him off at H/T was the correct decision tho for the game as we needed pace up top and a direct runner. JJ gave us this, George Thomas is not that type of player.
People are judging all wrong.
1) he's not Adam Armstrong...
2) he's a different type of player to Armstrong who we should not compare him to a striker who we loaned from a premier league club and turned out to be a luxury to watch who's main strength was his pace.
Sure George has not shone yet but to write him off at this stage is crazy, he's still learning and developing
How many times have we said this Never works out except from the select few

Nick

Administrator
I mentioned the same thing in the match thread. He doesn't seem to add anything to the game. I thought his main strength was pace, but that's certainly not the case based on today.

I don't like criticising our own players, especially youngsters, but he's just a body at the minute and should not be ahead of Rubén or others when fit.

I agree with AFC he need a confidence boost at a lower league club.

Agreed, last season his strength was pace.

He is the wrong body shape, way too top heavy and it has slowed him down massively.

Taking him off and replacing him with actual pace and directness changed the game.

He had that chance that was offside in the end but was clean through before the whistle went and just sort of went weird and didn't do anything. He hadn't seen the flag and the whistle hadn't gone so he wasn't to know he was offside. Rather than putting it in the goal it just kind of ran.

If pace isn't his game, what is it? He isn't a target player? He just seemed to slow everything down.

steve82

To me he will develop into a better 10 than a no 9. He's not a out and out striker. His strengths won't really show in a 343 system as like it's been said he's not a target man and don't have the pace to cut in from wide.
When we've got a full compliment of fit strikers he won't be a starter and hopefully get that loan spell to develop his game.

pipkin73

Asked a family member who works for CCFC, they say he is fast (but fast by mind). So if no confidance he won't be fast. Needs confidance and he should be ok, but with no one building his confidance he will faill big time. Seems he needs people to give him confidance more than him grabbing it.

Nick

Administrator
Asked a family member who works for CCFC, they say he is fast (but fast by mind). So if no confidance he won't be fast. Needs confidance and he should be ok, but with no one building his confidance he will faill big time. Seems he needs people to give him confidance more than him grabbing it.

I think he could do with a loan spell, maybe he was playing with an injury tonight?

He wasn't the same player as the end of last season when he was getting a run out towards the end, he didn't look right.

Still, maybe once the U21 games start he can get more gametime and maybe a loan and sharpen up a bit.

Bob Latchford

Does anyone recall a certain Mr Greg Downs when he first arrived ? us West Enders gave him unmerciless stick,we hated him - turned out to be a very accomplished left back and popular hero. and he had the head of a snooker ball too !

skybluetony176

Bit harsh. The whole team wasn't great in the first half.

Wouldn't write him off yet.

They were but Rose put a couple of good through balls for him in the first half and he never looked like getting near and I don't think you could say it was because Rose over hit them.

ajsccfc

I read somewhere that Joe Cole rated him as the most skilful player at the club. Means little if he can't put it into practice, but it's a bit soon to be giving up on him yet.

Nick

Administrator
They were but Rose put a couple of good through balls for him in the first half and he never looked like getting near and I don't think you could say it was because Rose over hit them.

Barton outpaced him easily a couple of times, as did their other centre half.

That is what made me wonder if he was 100% or not, as last season he was a lot quicker.

Nick

Administrator
Bit unfair to compare him to Armstrong.

I am just not sure what type of striker thomas is, but then somebody who watches the u21's a lot will know a lot more as he was banging them in wasn't he?

stupot07

Very harsh, is only 19 and everyone was was shite first half. There's a good footballer in their, his movement is good, he's got a decent touch and brain, just lacks a bit of pace (he's no slower than lamieres) and confidence. I didn't think he was any worse than any if his team mates in fhe first half and was the only player willing to make runs in behing. Not everyone is as good as Rooney or Armstrong at 19, players develop at different rates

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Adam Armstrong went a lot of games last season without scoring. I would not write off G. Thomas before he gets a run of starts. Otherwise, he'll be off and prove himself elsewhere just like Sambou.

ccfc1234

I would not write him off as he has the ability To find the net. However my concern is his lack of speed and strength you need either or to thrive esp with the style of play in the lower leagues.

Otis

Very simple. If we get the strikers in we need, send him out on a loan til January and get him some real game time and see if he comes back a better player.

As it stands, if he is not pulling up any trees and not scoring, he is going to be out of the team very soon and warming the bench all season long.

Let's see who else TM brings in. Get the numbers, then send the lad out in loan somewhere. Might come back a much better player for it.

SkyBlueScottie

Many in the club rate him, however like the majority I am yet to see what they are seeing, which must be down to confidence. Talk of Barton outpacing is quite possibly a bit of a misnomer, it might be that Barton reacted quicker, which again is possibly down to low confidence, cos instead of playing your natural game you are thinking about what you are doing, then reacting to where the ball is fed into. Rather than being full of confidence, you make a run and dictate where the ball is played to.

JWC

I remember Maddison having a couple of similar performances when he was first breaking into the team.

Think he could do with a loan spell, not sure we can afford to be loaning players out though

ccfcway

He wont be in the 1st team when we are full strength in Sept. In the meantime, support the lad

Nick

Administrator
In fairness, I didn't hear any booing or anything towards him at the game. He didn't get badly treated or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread