George Floyd (13 Viewers)

Grendel

Gone with the Wind banned deemed too racist

NorthernWisdom

Gone with the Wind banned deemed too racist
We going to restrict Othello?

Actually, this came out more sarcastic than I meant, but if we're stopping all literary works with dubious representations in them, we might end up with a very short canon!

(Oh, and not enough words here to go into what's wrong with his portrayal or, indeed Shylock in Merchant of Venice but it's not simple!)

Last edited:

shmmeee

There's an awful lot of problematic stuff out there, some of it absolutely offensive if played straight. I appreciate the danger of normalising representations, but I'm nervous of restricting people's ability to see them as wrong.

There’s also the whole forbidden fruit thing. Hiding things away gives them a cache they otherwise wouldn’t have. It’s not like you can erase media from the Internet.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There’s also the whole forbidden fruit thing. Hiding things away gives them a cache they otherwise wouldn’t have. It’s not like you can erase media from the Internet.

That's a very good point.

I also have said for a while that I feel many people these days are too wrapped in cotton wool to deal with the realities of life.

I'm not saying expose everyone to mass murder like ISIS, but banning certain comedy like little britian (even though it is shite) is a step too far.

shmmeee

That's a very good point.

I also have said for a while that I feel many people these days are too wrapped in cotton wool to deal with the realities of life.

I'm not saying expose everyone to mass murder like ISIS, but banning certain comedy like little britian (even though it is shite) is a step too far.

It’s a whole new Mary Whitehouse type thing. Ironically at the exact time the net gives us everything from cute bunnies to nuggets fucking donkeys uncensored. Frankly I’d rather a budding white nationalist watched GWTW than some of the shite on YouTube.

I will say, I get the difference between the government banning something and a platform deciding not to host it. But the BBC is an interesting halfway house between the two.

Moreover, shitty ideas don’t go away, they are the product of defects in human cognition not some disease you can squash like corona. It sucks to say but we are going to be fighting racism, and sexism, and cult like thinking, and all the other crap as long as there’s humans so we need to figure out how to deal with it in an age where complete censorship of ideas is impossible.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We going to restrict Othello?

Actually, this came out more sarcastic than I meant, but if we're stopping all literary works with dubious representations in them, we might end up with a very short canon!

(Oh, and not enough words here to go into what's wrong with his portrayal or, indeed Shylock in Merchant of Venice but it's not simple!)

As well as Merchant of Venice which could be seen as massively anti-semitic and Taming of the Shrew is mysogynistic.

What a bastard! Down with the RSC! Time to burn the Globe again!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Who gives a fuck about his past, he was still choked to death live on camera.

so fuck off you inbred, small dicked, shit eating racist c**t.

It's a stain on this site vile cunts like you are still here @Nick
Says the man who hero worships Gerry Adams.

ajsccfc

People raging at 'snowflakes' this morning because now The Inbetweeners has gone too, except it's just been taken off Youtube for licensing reasons to go to Britbox and is still available everywhere else it was before

Nick

Administrator
People raging at 'snowflakes' this morning because now The Inbetweeners has gone too, except it's just been taken off Youtube for licensing reasons to go to Britbox and is still available everywhere else it was before

I can't think of anything that could be deemed as racist in it anyway, off the top of my head.

ajsccfc

Exactly. Well, there was the handsome French guy saying he doesn't like Arabs, but that's all.

Seems that rather than copyrighted material being taken off an unofficial page while still widely available on Channel 4's service, it's leftie snowflakes ruining society

Tommo1993

If we’re gonna nitpick, I can remember Will calling Patrice a “fucking baguette eating dickhead frog”. Still makes me laugh.

We’re still allowed to laugh, right?

Nick

Administrator
Heard that a statue fell on somebody when they were ripping it down, is that true or just bullshit?

fernandopartridge

No. It's been removed from an unofficial Youtube and is going on Britbox, is still available on All4 and gets repeated on various Channel 4 channels every week

It is on all of the bastard time, I only get to sit down to watch tv about 10.00 at night and it always seems to be on.

chiefdave

No. It's been removed from an unofficial Youtube and is going on Britbox, is still available on All4 and gets repeated on various Channel 4 channels every week
Seen some people mention that the titles coming off Netflix were also about to see their license expire and be moved onto Britbox. Were Netflix really concerned about racism or cheap publicity stunt?

chiefdave

Full map of intended statue and memorial targets here

Topple the Racists
Some of them are mental. Robert Peel statue in Birmingham is on there because he invented policing! This is exactly how a campaign loses mainstream support. You've got something that nobody could really argue against, unless they're a racist, but the spotlight is on taking League of Gentlemen off Netflix and removed the blue plaque of the chap who first brought magnolias to the country.

skybluetony176

It’s got people talking and that’s a good thing. Some people in this country need to hear an adult conversation about our countries history and the history of those in charge in those periods who have statues. I remember watching QT last year when the very well documented involvement of Churchill in the Boer war caused people to lose their shit, put that shit in their ears and then try and rewrite history. Rees-Mogg being the ringleader trying to compare the internment camps of the Boer war to Glasgow.

Grendel

Some of them are mental. Robert Peel statue in Birmingham is on there because he invented policing! This is exactly how a campaign loses mainstream support. You've got something that nobody could really argue against, unless they're a racist, but the spotlight is on taking League of Gentlemen off Netflix and removed the blue plaque of the chap who first brought magnolias to the country.

I said peel was an obvious choice - founder of police, the “modern” Tory party and his father profited from the slave trade

Users who are viewing this thread