George Curtis (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

At Stratford races today and looked through the race card for a horse to link to George known as the Iron Man, found horse called Nikki Steel bit of an outsider but has to be worth a silly tenner each way.

The Great Eastern

Such a sad day. Like many others on here, the image of George and John Sillett running up to the City supporters at Wembley, holding the FA cup aloft, is one of the happiest memories of my life.
When he did his leg at Forest ('thanks' to Frank Wignall) I can recall the press having headlines of 'The Iron Man breaks his leg....' The Iron Man. What an absolutely accurate nickname for a true club legend. I also remember a club lady, in a tv interview just before the 87 final, describing George's management style being somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan but he was hugely respected as a result of that style ! Lol !
A true ambassador of Coventry City Football Club
R.I.P. The Iron Man, George Curtis

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Very sad news. Legend is massively overused these days but George was a legend among legends. And so much more than that besides. A gentleman and just a nice guy in general.

RIP George.

joemercersaces

What sad news. George was the rock on which City’s rise to the top flight was built, and then later on his dual role with Snoz leading us to the FA Cup. Remember being in Lino’s on the Brinklow Road one night and George walking in. My old man had always idolised Elvis and John Wayne, and I suppose he was about 50 at the time. He screamed like a teeny bopper “it’s George Curtis” with as much excitement as if ‘The King’ or ‘The Duke’ had wandered in. RIP big feller. Sad, sad day.

COV

I posted a bit earlier but I don't think it really sunk in that he’s gone.

What does George Curtis mean to us?

On the surface he delivered happy times for all of us, years of service as a player as we went up through the leagues, then '87, and then behind the scenes for so many years. Always smiling, and he will forever be associated with good times at Coventry City and he is part of the DNA of the club.

But going further than that, its another reminder that time moves on. I remember my granddad god bless him telling me about Harry Storer, how we would have been promoted had WW2 not come along. And I remember my dad telling me about the Jimmy Hill years, the excitement in his eyes telling those stories and it was magical. A lot of us will have told our own kids about '87- George & John, and in time our own kids will tell our grandkids about Wembley '17, Champions '20, and so it will continue. Time moves on, and its sad as hell but it does give us a chance to pass these memories from one generation to the next, and George will be part of those memories.

We've lost a giant of our club and our city, but he'll live on in our stories and there aren't too many that will be immortalised in that way.

Thanks George- you will never be forgotten for many generations to come, we will all make sure of that.

PUSB

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

RIP George, thanks for the memories. ❤

pipkin73

RIP George.

Without you, our history would be a lot poorer.
You led us through the leagues with another legend in Jimmy Hill.
Then along with John Sillett led us to the FA Cup.

Record appearance holder (only beaten by Oggy) during the most exciting times in our history, as the club went from the bottom to top division.

You are a true Sky Blue legend.

@Nick any chance of adding him to the header for a while as done with Cyril Regis?

glasgowfan

George Curtis was a massive figure in the history of Coventry City and his contribution will stand as long as the club stands. Great leader and I will never forget the photo of George on the stretcher at Forest with a broken leg in our second game in the top division. looked totally unfazed. Legend.
For better or worse, I missed that match..... we arrived late and couldn't get in, then the news of his broken leg got out to us outside the ground. Never met him, but a great player, a great leader, and (more importantly) by all accounts a great person

Paxman II

Oh what a very sad moment, a true legend of the club. Saw many of George's battles on the pitch during his playing days when I was a nipper on the Spion Kop. (no pun intended) Later helping to bring the FA Cup our way. A fantastic servant of the club and he will be sorely missed by all of us. They just don't make 'em like George any more!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
..... They just don't make 'em like George any more!
I think the nearest any other player to come close to being like George, was when Bobby Gould signed Stuart Pearce from Wealdstone. Hard as nails - just like George.

Cranfield Sky Blue

The football world is a little bit smaller tonight. They’ve lost a little bit. We have lost a true legend that will probably never be seen again.

RIP mighty man x

Calista

Only just heard this sad news. George was one of a kind, and the absolute foundation of City's rise to the top flight in the 60s. To then go on and play such a magnificent part in the 1987 cup win makes him arguably the single greatest figure in the club's history. RIP Iron Man.

Irish Sky Blue

RIP George, a true legend as many have said. I've just had a search for George Curtis videos and enjoyed this piece with John Sillett which was part of the FA Cup final build-up - some wonderful memories.

I've never seen this before.That was lovely, thanks for putting it on here.

usskyblue

RIP and thank you for everything, especially 1987. Words can’t describe the pride, passion and joy he brought, not only to the club and the fans but to the city of Coventry.

With his passing the club need to seriously look at a couple of things. Firstly, to only use the word ‘legend’ to those who actually come anywhere near the label… and secondly, to think of a suitable tribute. Perhaps a plaque or statue.

He was a true legend

RegTheDonk

Such a shame, spoke to him a couple of times when he was helping out behind the bar in the supporters club, loved his confidence and passion. Not quite old enough to have seen him on the pitch but for that - and everything else he's done for the Sky Blues behind the scenes - thank you George, RIP.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
RIP George, a true legend as many have said. I've just had a search for George Curtis videos and enjoyed this piece with John Sillett which was part of the FA Cup final build-up - some wonderful memories.

Tried watching but the volume is lousy. Couldn't hear a thing! 😟

JimmyHillsbeard

There’s a photo of him from the 1996 wedding of his son and daughter in law on the “Football and other sports” thread. Apparently shared w permission of the happy couple.

It’s a lovely photo. Look closely and you notice that GC is wearing a ccfc club tie. Imagine being so in love with your club/employer that you wear a ccfc tie at your son’s wedding.

JimmyHillsbeard

There’s a photo of him from the 1996 wedding of his son and daughter in law on the “Football and other sports” thread. Apparently shared w permission of the happy couple.

It’s a lovely photo. Look closely and you notice that GC is wearing a ccfc club tie. Imagine being so in love with your club/employer that you wear a ccfc tie at your son’s wedding.

the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread