George Curtis (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

RIP George…a true legend and gentleman
My dad’s favourite player ever and one of my first City heroes. In an era of ‘hard men’ he was the hardest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

Well before my time but there’s certainly very few City fans that do not know what he did for our club on the pitch and off it. Proper club legend and a true gent.

CDK

When people say legends there was a true legend helped the club on the pitch,with sillet off the pitch and helped out at backstage level and he remained a gentleman so rest in piece big man ,George Curtis.

Moff

Absolutely gutted to hear this news, RIP George.

I never saw him play but just from hearing the stories about him from both my mum and dad who were huge fans. I knew what a colossus he was for us and what a hugely influential player he was.

I will never forget the happiest Sky Blue memory he and a John Sillett gave me as a 16 year old with our FA Cup win, and will always see him as one of our best ever, and will always be grateful for that wonderful day.

slowpoke

Needs saying besides everything George was a really good player, he was selected as a third division player to be a travelling reserve for the England under 23s might sound nothing now but that was a major honour then there were no substitutes in those days I think that could have been pre Jimmy Hill too.

D

Deleted member 2477

RIP George. Thanks for the fantastic memories and a true club legend

olderskyblue

I was in the executive lounge at Highfield Road, Peter Bodak had only played a few games, but had wound a sponsor up to suggest to George Peter should get a “company “ car, as the other players did.

George approached Bodak, grabbed his shirt and raised him about a foot off the ground and gave him a tongue lashing, ending with “no car for you” 🤣

RIP George

slowpoke

I was in the executive lounge at Highfield Road, Peter Bodak had only played a few games, but had wound a sponsor up to suggest to George Peter should get a “company “ car, as the other players did.

George approached Bodak, grabbed his shirt and raised him about a foot off the ground and gave him a tongue lashing, ending with “no car for you” 🤣

RIP George
Lots of stories like this I was talking to an old city player few years ago and he told me he had a wages issue and being a bit arsey at the time and George poked his head into the dressing room and shouted to him my office. Said he sat outside like a headmasters office for an age and George shouted Smith ( not his real name) so in he went, said Curtis spoke non stop for about ten minutes hardly took in a word that was said but signed the contract. A month or so later he was given an increased contract.

6 Generations

Terribly sad news of a true club legend. I had the good fortune to meet with him and play golf with him Ona few occasions
I also possess somewhere a photograph of my brother and I taken at the Coventry City supporters club (when it was part of Highfield Rd). I believe It was a promotion celebration night in 1967.
George Curtis and Bill Glazier were up on stage, ‘assisting’ the band. George singing and Bill on the drums. They invited us up on stage and gave us 2 bob each. RIP to a gentleman and footballing warrior.

Samo

RIP George. Thanks for the best football experience of my life.

DannyThomas_1981

George and John dancing on the Wembley turf holding the FA Cup; one of the most iconic images in our history.

And not many people know this; frequently went miles out of his way to call in on Jimmy Hill in his final years as Jimmy was fighting dementia.

A Coventry great on the pitch. A huge contributor in our finest moment as we lifted the Cup in front of millions worldwide (the FA Cup was a huge deal then). And most of all a gentleman.

Paul Anthony

Well before my time unfortunately, but obviously his impact was such that I think even fans from well after his time know about him and the impact he had at the club. In Every sense of the word a proper City legend.

Major Tom

Will always remember that image of Sillett and Curtis during the FA Cup nudging each other shoulders and laughing on the bench, enjoying every minute and then the scenes after walking around the pitch with the cup… happy days for so many fans and for that alone definitely a Coventry City legend!

Users who are viewing this thread