General Election 2019 thread (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueDom26

4959.jpg

SkyBlueCharlie9

Donald Trump London NATO visit includes tea with Prince Charles Queen and Downing Street reception | Daily Mail Online

General election: Donald Trump backs Boris Johnson but says 'I'll stay out of election'

Asked about whether the NHS would be discussed between US and UK officials for a future trade deal after Brexit, he said: "No not at all. I have nothing to do with it. Never even thought about it, honestly.

"I don't even know where that rumour started.

There we go, can we put this nhs for sale to bed now
Let me get this right - The Tory's using and quoting Trump because no one believes them. They are panicking more than I thought. Hilarious.

chiefdave

Won't be hilarious when they have a majority though will it, then we'll see who's laughing
Did you watch Dispatches last night? Would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Personally struggle to comprehend how anybody could watch that and still consider voting Conservative.

covcity4life

Did you watch Dispatches last night? Would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Personally struggle to comprehend how anybody could watch that and still consider voting Conservative.
snowflake! keep britain british! brexit means brexit! leave means leave!

answer your question?

skybluetony176

You mean you find it an awkward one so don't want to answer it.

It wasn't so long ago nobody imagined life away from the EU.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No, I mean if you have to invent imaginary scenarios to win an argument you haven’t got an argument. It’s proper Harry Enfield character territory. Is that what you want because that’s what will happen. Yeah OK Angry Frank, or was it Lee and Lance. Either way.

skybluetony176

But in that scenario Johnson and co would come out and say the US were after the NHS and we put our foot down and said it wasn't up for discussion.

What we're actually seeing is a denial from everyone involved that there has been a discussion when we can all see the evidence there has been for ourselves.
Exactly, not once in the minutes does it say that the NHS is of the table, end of conversation. The opposite is in fact true, they then go on to have a conversation about the NHS. If the same negotiators were asked how they felt about a kick in the bollocks they wouldn’t have then started talking terms on how to receive a kick in the bollocks, they would have quite clearly stated that kicks in the bollocks are not on the table.

Last edited:

stupot07

Asked why he was staying out of the election, Trump said:

"Because I don’t want to complicate it. I’ll stay out of the election. You know that I was a fan of Brexit. I called it the day before.
I think Boris is very capable and I think he’ll do a good job."

Trump has repeatedly claimed that he predicted the result of the Brexit referendum in advance, when he was visiting his golf course in Scotland. As explained here, this is not true. FactCheck: Did Donald Trump predict Brexit at his Scottish golf course the day before the vote?

Trump has been proven time and again to be a compulsive liar.....just like he blonde shaggy haired mate.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Astute

What kind of world do we live in where looking into whether it's feasible to improve workers' conditions is a vote loser...?
A world where there is no trust. Neither Corbyn or Boris seem trustworthy.

The problem that has been highlighted several times on here is we shouldn't trust the Tories because of the previous times they have been in power yet we should forget what happened on the previous times Labour have been in power. Don't you think that Tory voters push the same ideals?

The last Labour government took away decent pensions for all. All workers that live long enough to retire are affected by this. Yet the point raised is workers rights.

The finances of the UK are important. Look at last time we had a Labour government. We used to have a massive gold reserve. It was sold off when prices were very low. Prices then went up multiple times. Now we have Labour that want to spend hundreds of billions of pounds. Yet some make out it isn't a problem. Free internet for the rich?

And some on here either don't get it or don't want to get it. Concentrate on the good on one side and the bad on the other and there is only one logical answer. But where is the financial stability for the future of the UK? Labour?

Astute

That’s been pretty much the entirety of the anti Labour argument. “But what if this bunch of mental scenarios happen?” Hardly ever “I don’t like this specific actual policy”.

When did we become so anxious and cowed as a country?

Weird how the bombastic buccaneering Brexit spirit goes missing and suddenly we’re a useless country that doesn’t deserve better and couldn’t achieve it if we wanted to.
One question for you. The question that never gets answered. When was the last decent Labour government? I'm 51 and have never had one.

How about financial stability? Is this a mental scenario?

Astute

Asked why he was staying out of the election, Trump said:

"Because I don’t want to complicate it. I’ll stay out of the election. You know that I was a fan of Brexit. I called it the day before.
I think Boris is very capable and I think he’ll do a good job."

Trump has repeatedly claimed that he predicted the result of the Brexit referendum in advance, when he was visiting his golf course in Scotland. As explained here, this is not true. FactCheck: Did Donald Trump predict Brexit at his Scottish golf course the day before the vote?

Trump has been proven time and again to be a compulsive liar.....just like he blonde shaggy haired mate.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He also said he wasn't interested in the NHS even if it was handed to him on a silver platter. You seem to have missed that bit out. Don't understand why.....

Grendel

One question for you. The question that never gets answered. When was the last decent Labour government? I'm 51 and have never had one.

In terms of the economy the Blair Brown administration was ok. Brown may have been a good PM but was tarnished in the end by his association with Blair and the spin machine Campbell

Astute

That's the actually quote, thought it was from a parody site!

And trade...which drugs is a major part of...And not the NHS? Of course not cus Corbyn says so.

So why is leaving the EU bad because of buying drugs? Oh yeah the EU wants to take over the NHS.

Brighton Sky Blue

The years containing stable low unemployment and a budget surplus?

Astute

In terms of the economy the Blair Brown administration was ok. Brown may have been a good PM but was tarnished in the end by his association with Blair and the spin machine Campbell
Pensions bad.

Selling off the gold bad.

Their government based on Tory ideals...depends which way you see it.

NorthernWisdom

Quoted for posterity!

Brown's error was allowing the PR machine to try and portray him as Blair-lite, when what the country was crying out for was an anti Blair. Brown, deep thinking, conviction politician who kept his personal life out of the limelight instead of using it for political gain, was it, if they'd let him be himself. What they saw as weaknesses were his strengths.

Have to say, Blair and Brown's governments are the best ones during my lifetime. In my view, of course. They weren't as left as I'd have liked ;) there are some obvious sticks to beat Blair with, in particular, but there was a return to a general philosophy of inclusiveness within society.

Plus my Mum could catch a bus into town again(!)

shmmeee

Define “decent”. Blair’s government was the best in my lifetime. It’s the only acceptable form of neoliberalism and still has major issues. But it tried to smooth the edges off it at least.

Before my lifetime? I’d take most government pre-Thatcher Labour or Conservative. Obviously 1945 is special.

When was the last decent Conservative one? You’ve got a lot to pick from.

And yes, given the evidence, banging on about finances when all the stats show Labour governments are better for them is a bit mental. Thanks for asking.

SkyblueBazza

But in that scenario Johnson and co would come out and say the US were after the NHS and we put our foot down and said it wasn't up for discussion.

What we're actually seeing is a denial from everyone involved that there has been a discussion when we can all see the evidence there has been for ourselves.
What has been said is that it was on THEIR 'wishlist' to discuss Pharma pricing - which is NOT privatising. 'Opening up the NHS to big US Pharma' is a scare story. They are already here. They price products competitively ageing EU & UK Pharma. If US Pharma get patent extensions, so do EU & British.
Patent life was last extended in 1995 for drugs filed. There is an argument that this helps reduce the overall cost of drugs as they can recoup development costs over a longer period, but that it would also free up more money to be reinvested in research of the next generation of potentially life-saving medications.

You won't miss them unless you are ever unfortunate enough to need them!

shmmeee

Well Abbott who is Labour seems to agree with the point made

That the Tory government has dropped the ball on deradicalisation? A politician attacking an opponent in an election period? What a shocker!

Have you actually read the article?

SkyBlueDom26

That the Tory government has dropped the ball on deradicalisation? A politician attacking an opponent in an election period? What a shocker!

Have you actually read the article?
"The “lock ’em up & throw away the key” battle cry may suit a panicked politician in the middle of a general election campaign, but it isn’t going to keep us safe from another Usman Khan”

Justify that title

SkyblueBazza

No, I mean if you have to invent imaginary scenarios to win an argument you haven’t got an argument. It’s proper Harry Enfield character territory. Is that what you want because that’s what will happen. Yeah OK Angry Frank, or was it Lee and Lance. Either way.
You're being a tit...many people use hypothetical examples to make a point. Even yourself I am sure.

shmmeee

"The “lock ’em up & throw away the key” battle cry may suit a panicked politician in the middle of a general election campaign, but it isn’t going to keep us safe from another Usman Khan”

Justify that title

So you didn’t read the article?

It’s not the title. It’s the final sentence of an argument about doing what works to deradicalise.

Users who are viewing this thread