General Election 2019 thread (2 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

So you think a train would be costed at 4 for 1. It’s £65 by the way and I don’t think non train taxpayers should be funding 4 people to jolly to London. I’m amazed you get can there and back on 3 gallons of fuel, no congestion and free parking

stop talking bollocks
It's actually £24 so you're right I'm under costing it. Parking is free in London if you know where to look, outside of the congestion zone then get a tube, which I'd have to get off the train anyway.

Even if going alone I'm saving £135.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 19.49.02.png

Can you please explain to an idiot like me how this is cheaper. Please don't use big words.

Sky Blue Pete

I remember dropping my daughter in Nuneaton to go to Peterboro and checking the cost on line was £15 or so. Didn’t have time so turned up to buy the ticket and it was £30 at the counter. I said don’t be stupid and showed her the price on my phone. She couldn’t sell it me for that so I bought it and printed it off. That’s not right!

today I travelled to Manchester and back for work. Ticket to and from Manchester about £70. Splitting the tickets so cov to stafford and stafford to manchester £30

that’s not right

Lots of savings to make on the trains with one price for each standard journey

it’s the same with utilities. Why should companies make profits at the expense of the poorest and most vulnerable its a national disgrace

Grendel

It's actually £24 so you're right I'm under costing it. Parking is free in London if you know where to look, outside of the congestion zone then get a tube, which I'd have to get off the train anyway.

Even if going alone I'm saving £135.

View attachment 13589

Can you please explain to an idiot like me how this is cheaper. Please don't use big words.

Is this work or pleasure

Grendel

Is this cheaper or more expensive?

well if it’s work the tax relief on the mileage is a huge profit which we as taxpayers will pay

If it’s also work the rail fare is refunded isn’t it?

So work or not?

Grendel

So just checked business will pay £105 from the revenue so it’s £85 profit

Grendel

Good old subsidised rail travel.

No if you go with business I’m sure you’d agree it’s absurd that we should as taxpayers subsidise a private company

why so coy what it is?

Grendel

Didn’t realise I’d stumbled onto Booking.com

You do realise he by his calculations makes £80 tax free profit by car?

SkyblueBazza

Then it won’t happen. But people said the same about the five day week and here we are, so what’s the harm in having it as an aim?

Edit: by the way, skilful moving of the goalposts from Dom’s mistaken point of on it being a manifesto pledge to whether it’s workable.

I haven't moved the goalposts at all. I backed you up in a way by clarifying it is not a part of the manifesto...and pointing out it IS actual Labour policy for now at least.

You obviously have a problem with the truth just like Bojo.

As for the "then it won't happen" - it seems it is that you must accept it as as much a lie as the numbers on the side of a bus, or the use of the words 'new nurses' when they aren't new at all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Otis

Bloody hell, yet another Conservative leaflet through my door today. Never seen anything like it and nearly every single one is not bigging up the Tories, but telling me why I shouldn't vote for Corbyn.

Last edited:

Philosorapter

I remember dropping my daughter in Nuneaton to go to Peterboro and checking the cost on line was £15 or so. Didn’t have time so turned up to buy the ticket and it was £30 at the counter. I said don’t be stupid and showed her the price on my phone. She couldn’t sell it me for that so I bought it and printed it off. That’s not right!

today I travelled to Manchester and back for work. Ticket to and from Manchester about £70. Splitting the tickets so cov to stafford and stafford to manchester £30

that’s not right

Lots of savings to make on the trains with one price for each standard journey

it’s the same with utilities. Why should companies make profits at the expense of the poorest and most vulnerable its a national disgrace

Oh, the splitting ticket fiasco.

There's a whole website dedicated to this to find the cheapest travel.

Otis

I travel to London a lot. I can get a return for between £18-£27 if it is off peak.

Peak hours or is about £57. That's me and my daughter, though her fee is next to nothing, because we have a Family and Friends railcard.

Philosorapter

£190 single 2nd class for me to get to Coventry. Need to do some shopping about usually to get this down to acceptable levels.

shmmeee

I haven't moved the goalposts at all. I backed you up in a way by clarifying it is not a part of the manifesto...and pointing out it IS actual Labour policy for now at least.

You obviously have a problem with the truth just like Bojo.

As for the "then it won't happen" - it seems it is that you must accept it as as much a lie as the numbers on the side of a bus, or the use of the words 'new nurses' when they aren't new at all.

The motion that passed urged the Labour Party to “set out a plan to achieve a standard four day or 32 hour gross week with no loss of pay within a decade”. That’s it. They urge them to set out a plan. How can that even be a lie?

You seem to be confusing someone saying they’ll look into something with promising it’ll happen.

Sky Blue Pete

Bloody hell, yet another Conservative league through my door today. Never seen anything like it and nearly every single one is not bigging up the Tories, but telling me why I shouldn't vote for Corbyn.
Allegedly coventry south going blue and geoffreys one in the balance

Grendel

Bloody hell, yet another Conservative leaflet through my door today. Never seen anything like it and nearly every single one is not bigging up the Tories, but telling me why I shouldn't vote for Corbyn.

Its because their internal polling shows they are not far off the labour candidate - I don’t see it myself but the labour campaign is pretty non existent

Philosorapter

Betting odds are going quite crazy for yesterday.

They have Labour just a nose ahead in Coventry South whilst the Conservatives a nose ahead in Coventry North West.

Just wondering if Jayne Innes spent the day in Coventry North West for the odds to move this way.

Last edited:

Otis

They have Labour just a nose ahead in Coventry South whilst the Conservatives a nose ahead in Coventry North West.

Just wondering if Jayne Innes spent the day in Coventry North West for the odds to move this way.
Never mind about that, Cov Telegraph have their finger on the pulse and know where it's at.

'Here's Cov Live hustings’ for Coventry North West. Knowing Taiwo well, as I do, I can confirm she’d make a terrific Doctor Who.'

Philosorapter

Never mind about that, Cov Telegraph have their finger on the pulse and know where it's at.

'Here's Cov Live hustings’ for Coventry North West. Knowing Taiwo well, as I do, I can confirm she’d make a terrific Doctor Who.'

Did we find out their favourite colour?

SkyblueBazza

The motion that passed urged the Labour Party to “set out a plan to achieve a standard four day or 32 hour gross week with no loss of pay within a decade”. That’s it. They urge them to set out a plan. How can that even be a lie?

You seem to be confusing someone saying they’ll look into something with promising it’ll happen.
Well it is obviously useless talking with you. I provided you with a link to a Labour supporting news site that proudly proclaims "Everything Labour" which HAS said it is policy & no more on it suggesting it is a non-starter.

If this were the Tories making some rash but more easily transparent 'policy' you would be all over it like a rash. So stop moaning at people like me trying provide some balance to your bias.

shmmeee

Well it is obviously useless talking with you. I provided you with a link to a Labour supporting news site that proudly proclaims "Everything Labour" which HAS said it is policy & no more on it suggesting it is a non-starter.

If this were the Tories making some rash but more easily transparent 'policy' you would be all over it like a rash. So stop moaning at people like me trying provide some balance to your bias.

Mate. If you don’t understand the policy making process in the Labour Party that’s really not my issue. I quoted the text of the motion. A motion passing does not mean the PLP will implement it. And the motion “urges” the party to look into it. It’s right there.

A conference motion isn’t binding. It’s an expression of the memberships will, but it’s down to the PLP to create the manifesto for government, not the membership. Labour aren’t the Greens.

As I say there’s no equivalent in the Tory party because they aren’t democratic in policy making. The closest would be what some right wing think tank says and you are the first on here to defend that as not policy.

You said you wouldn’t vote Labour because they have been urged to look into a four day week. I think that’s a ridiculous position but I respect it’s yours.

SkyblueBazza

Mate. If you don’t understand the policy making process in the Labour Party that’s really not my issue. I quoted the text of the motion. A motion passing does not mean the PLP will implement it. And the motion “urges” the party to look into it. It’s right there.

A conference motion isn’t binding. It’s an expression of the memberships will, but it’s down to the PLP to create the manifesto for government, not the membership. Labour aren’t the Greens.

As I say there’s no equivalent in the Tory party because they aren’t democratic in policy making. The closest would be what some right wing think tank says and you are the first on here to defend that as not policy.

You said you wouldn’t vote Labour because they have been urged to look into a four day week. I think that’s a ridiculous position but I respect it’s yours.
Think-tank versus motion passed at a party conference.

Guess it is all about emphasis & context.

I do understand the policy making process (though happily admit perhaps not fully) but I don't much care...same as the Tories. It is only the published manifesto that a government can be held account of.

My take on it all is that all parties are too influenced by marketing principles in order to (they perceive) win votes rather than be fully honest about stuff. BUT they are to a greater or lesser degree ALL at it!

SkyblueBazza

What kind of world do we live in where looking into whether it's feasible to improve workers' conditions is a vote loser...?
Well if Labour went through the same process & came up with a policy to abolish the armed forces. Are you saying people would just say it is irrelevant as it isn't actually in the manifesto? Or would they be concerned enough to vote for someone else?

Some would, some wouldn't...personally, I would.

skybluetony176

Well if Labour went through the same process & came up with a policy to abolish the armed forces. Are you saying people would just say it is irrelevant as it isn't actually in the manifesto? Or would they be concerned enough to vote for someone else?

Some would, some wouldn't...personally, I would.

You know, when you have to start making up imaginary scenarios to make an argument you don’t really have an argument.

shmmeee

You know, when you have to start making up imaginary scenarios to make an argument you don’t really have an argument.

That’s been pretty much the entirety of the anti Labour argument. “But what if this bunch of mental scenarios happen?” Hardly ever “I don’t like this specific actual policy”.

When did we become so anxious and cowed as a country?

Weird how the bombastic buccaneering Brexit spirit goes missing and suddenly we’re a useless country that doesn’t deserve better and couldn’t achieve it if we wanted to.

Last edited:

Grendel

Lol Innes is a disaster area

Users who are viewing this thread