General Election 2019 thread (6 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Apparently the latest poll results show a Tory slip and Labour gains. Nothing big but it sounds like the Tory manifesto hasn’t inspired. Labour has made its biggest gains in Wales, an area I think the Tories were hoping that they could take seats of Labour. In other news of the massive surge in voter registration the biggest percentage is under 35 year olds, Labour territory.

Last edited:

Astute

Has anyone noticed what is going on?

Racism for the man on the street has vastly improved. It is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was a kid. No Bernard Manning on prime time TV when you only had 3 channels. People finding racist jokes absolutely hilarious. Open racism allowed everywhere. Those who didn't see it would find it hard to believe.

Then we come to MP's. A lot of them come from a privileged background. Many won't know any black people. And there is also a lot of older ones that still have the same views.

Ha ha the Tories have racists in their party.

Ha ha Labour has racists in their party.

I've got a bigger dick than you.

Why can't everybody just admit that racism hasn't disappeared from the upper and middle class. And they are in all parties. It is still alive and kicking. They are not for the poor. And racism exists in all races.

Otis

Racism for the man on the street has vastly improved. It is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was a kid. No Bernard Manning on prime time TV when you only had 3 channels. People finding racist jokes absolutely hilarious. Open racism allowed everywhere. Those who didn't see it would find it hard to believe.

Then we come to MP's. A lot of them come from a privileged background. Many won't know any black people. And there is also a lot of older ones that still have the same views.

Why can't everybody just admit that racism hasn't disappeared from the upper and middle class. And they are in all parties. It is still alive and kicking. They are not for the poor. And racism exists in all races.
It does indeed.

NorthernWisdom

tbh I have no problem at all with Labour being investigated as much as possible - no sane person would have a problem with that. It's a shame that the results couldn't have come out before the election in fact, so it could stop the innuendo and if there was a need, relevant parties could fall on their swords (as they should).

I do have an issue with a certain category of person being rather... selective about where they find racism, and *why* they find it, too. And in this thread that's often what comes up. As you say, it's a point and laugh, and that really doesn't help sort things.

Astute

I do have an issue with a certain category of person being rather... selective about where they find racism, and *why* they find it, too. And in this thread that's often what comes up. As you say, it's a point and laugh, and that really doesn't help sort things.
Remain in the EU=Find racism with the Tories.

Leave the EU=Find racism in Labour.

Racism isn't the point for most. It is part of finding a stick to beat with. But the point should be racism has no part in life. It should be stated how shit it is for all, but because of the bullshit going on with Brexit people are taking sides and deflecting.

Anyone found to be making racist comments should be kicked out of politics for life. They are supposed to represent the man on the street. They are not there to represent the man on the street depending on colour or religion.

Brighton Sky Blue

Remain in the EU=Find racism with the Tories.

Leave the EU=Find racism in Labour.

Racism isn't the point for most. It is part of finding a stick to beat with. But the point should be racism has no part in life. It should be stated how shit it is for all, but because of the bullshit going on with Brexit people are taking sides and deflecting.

Anyone found to be making racist comments should be kicked out of politics for life. They are supposed to represent the man on the street. They are not there to represent the man on the street depending on colour or religion.

Well I guess on the one hand over 40% of Tory members ‘have a problem’ with a Muslim PM and on the other 0.1% of Labour members have been anti Semitic bigots then chucked out of the party.

But look which gets turned into a bigger issue with Labour compared to the Nazis in some quarters.

Ian1779

A poll from yesterday that has been adjusted to reflect the voting weightings (by age) from the 2017 election.

Original poll showed a 7pt Tory lead.

4FF351AB-0D36-485A-9F78-4252969AB725.png

Brighton Sky Blue

you think that only 30% of under 25’s will vote?

I don’t know how many will. I also don’t know that their allegiances will be the same as they were back then. I’m under 30 and it’s far from certain that I’ll vote this time.

Ian1779

I don’t know how many will. I also don’t know that their allegiances will be the same as they were back then. I’m under 30 and it’s far from certain that I’ll vote this time.

True - but there has been a lot of analysis showing the cote distribution in this cohort to vastly favour Labour over the Tories. That’s why I think it’s significant.

fernandopartridge

It hasn't disappeared anywhere tbh, it isn't as overt as it once was is all.

skybluetony176

you think that only 30% of under 25’s will vote?
The numbers registering to vote in this age group suggests that turnout will be at least similar to 2017. I think voter registration is up for all age groups but significantly in under 35’s. I read one article this morning that was claiming by as much as 30%, over 65’s on the other hand is apparently up by 4%. I was reading an article earlier that was talking about the end of class voting lines and the birth of age voting lines. Basically the younger you are the more likely you are to vote Labour and the older you are the more likely you are to vote Tory.
Still expecting a hung Parliament myself regardless but everything I read about opinion polls and how they reach their conclusions points to them probably making all the same mistakes as they did in 2017.

CCFCSteve

Let’s be honest none of us will know until the 13th (or at least until the exit polls) so whilst polls are interesting they are currently pretty irrelevant.

Polls have been proven to be (in some cases very) wrong in recent years...Brexit, Trump and the 2017 election (although I think they were more accurate nearer the election the gap between the parties started very wide...May had a shocker though so the polls may have been accurate(ish) at the start !)

fernandopartridge

The numbers registering to vote in this age group suggests that turnout will be at least similar to 2017. I think voter registration is up for all age groups but significantly in under 35’s. I read one article this morning that was claiming by as much as 30%, over 65’s on the other hand is apparently up by 4%. I was reading an article earlier that was talking about the end of class voting lines and the birth of age voting lines. Basically the younger you are the more likely you are to vote Labour and the older you are the more likely you are to vote Tory.
Still expecting a hung Parliament myself regardless but everything I read about opinion polls and how they reach their conclusions points to them probably making all the same mistakes as they did in 2017.

Apparently 2.8m new people have registered to vote since the election was called, including 1.9m (rounded) under 35 year olds.

skybluetony176

Apparently 2.8m new people have registered to vote since the election was called, including 1.9m (rounded) under 35 year olds.
I believe that the number of people registering to vote on the 8 weeks running up to the announcement of the GE was significantly up as well with a similar trend to what’s happened since the announcement.

skybluetony176

Let’s be honest none of us will know until the 13th (or at least until the exit polls) so whilst polls are interesting they are currently pretty irrelevant.

Polls have been proven to be (in some cases very) wrong in recent years...Brexit, Trump and the 2017 election (although I think they were more accurate nearer the election the gap between the parties started very wide...May had a shocker though so the polls may have been accurate(ish) at the start !)
Even the 2015 one was wrong and didn’t predict a Tory majority the size it was.

Philosorapter

Just catching up with the A Neil interview with Sturgeon. He absolutely nails it with the Independence question and Brexit.

The call for Independence comes from the idea of Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will. The Scottish remain vote in the EU referendum being the catalyst for action.

The same thing happened a few years back when there were no Tory MPs in Scotland during Thatcher's term. This forced Westminster to bring about the Scottish Parliament. Not a big fan of Thatcher but some of the social changes under Thatcher actually worked. A lot of them though were absolute horseshit.

The changes that could come to Scotland through leaving the EU has forced the SNP to go down the path of seeking another Scottish referendum. If the UK does not leave EU then there is no justification to carry on with seeking a Scottish Independence referendum.

Last edited:

Philosorapter

I would love to give sturgeon another referendum , and then totally ignore the outcome ,just like they have done with brexit ,

Calling for a 2nd EU referendum is probably the most undemocratic thing you could possibly do, outside of course just cancelling article 50 courtesy of the Lib Dems.

SkyBlueDom26

I would love to give sturgeon another referendum , and then totally ignore the outcome ,just like they have done with brexit ,

Can't stand her, she comes across as an angry little woman that disagrees with everything apart from 'Scottish independence'

Shes totally deluded

Grendel

SkyBlueDom26

Still not the party that’s the only one subjected to an investigation other than the BNP - the odd instance will always occur but deep seated institutional racism is commonplace regarding Jews in labour and was also in the 80’s

Literally and the Conservatives deal with it straight away..... Labour love to just brush things under the carpet and turn a blind eye to it, ain't that right Jezza!

Users who are viewing this thread