General Election 2019 thread (6 Viewers)

shmmeee

Philosorapter

How is it undemocratic when it will be obliged to go through with the majority view?

Calling for a vote amongst the people is undemocratic, as is the Lib Dems saying what they would do if they got a democratic mandate to do it?!?

A General Election is about many stuff bundled up.

A referendum is a clear direction being sort by the electorate.

Brighton Sky Blue

Its not crap when its the truth, thats why Corbyn is being called anti semetic

It is crap they constitute 0.1% of the membership and the culprits have been kicked out of the party. But over 40% of Tory members have a problem with a Muslim leader yet we hear nothing from you or the usual suspects about it.

Liquid Gold

The numbers registering to vote in this age group suggests that turnout will be at least similar to 2017. I think voter registration is up for all age groups but significantly in under 35’s. I read one article this morning that was claiming by as much as 30%, over 65’s on the other hand is apparently up by 4%. I was reading an article earlier that was talking about the end of class voting lines and the birth of age voting lines. Basically the younger you are the more likely you are to vote Labour and the older you are the more likely you are to vote Tory.
Still expecting a hung Parliament myself regardless but everything I read about opinion polls and how they reach their conclusions points to them probably making all the same mistakes as they did in 2017.
The age thing is interesting. It has always been the case that the younger lent towards Labour and then switched allegiances as they age. Back in the day the age when people became more Conservative was around 35 (this is coming from memory so the figures may be out) but now that's starting to push 45. This is obviously of concert to the Conservatives as their base ages and dies then isn't replaced by younger people.

There is a theory that when people saw the benefits of capitalism they voted for the more overtly capitalist party. The main benefit of capitalism is owning capital and wanting to see that protected and the main piece of capital people ever own is their home. Now people are finding it increasingly difficult to buy a home until they're older while seeing their retired landlord with 15 of them they are less likely to associate their lives with the benefits of capitalism and move away from the capitalist party.

Problem for the Conservatives is that they used to be a mass membership party so they could count on members to fund more broad one nation agendas. Now they're financed by the ultra rich their policies have to reflect those desires which are fundamentally opposed to wealth redistribution. Unless they find a way out soon they could be in a very sticky spot in the next decade or two.

Brighton Sky Blue

The age thing is interesting. It has always been the case that the younger lent towards Labour and then switched allegiances as they age. Back in the day the age when people became more Conservative was around 35 (this is coming from memory so the figures may be out) but now that's starting to push 45. This is obviously of concert to the Conservatives as their base ages and dies then isn't replaced by younger people.

There is a theory that when people saw the benefits of capitalism they voted for the more overtly capitalist party. The main benefit of capitalism is owning capital and wanting to see that protected and the main piece of capital people ever own is their home. Now people are finding it increasingly difficult to buy a home until they're older while seeing their retired landlord with 15 of them they are less likely to associate their lives with the benefits of capitalism and move away from the capitalist party.

Problem for the Conservatives is that they used to be a mass membership party so they could count on members to fund more broad one nation agendas. Now they're financed by the ultra rich their policies have to reflect those desires which are fundamentally opposed to wealth redistribution. Unless they find a way out soon they could be in a very sticky spot in the next decade or two.

I think the much increased variety of media sources has had an impact as well.

chiefdave

There is a theory that when people saw the benefits of capitalism they voted for the more overtly capitalist party.
There's also a theory that voting for right wing parties is linked to deterioration of the brain based around empathy being commonly the first area of the brain to deteriorate due to ageing. :woot:

chiefdave

Look at the backdrop, how embarrassing. They really have nothing but pointing the finger at Labour. Notice that in his speech Javid contradicted Johnsons promises on National Insurance.

EKT3PEDW4AIDWFF.jpeg

Also interesting that Johnsons lie when laughing the Conservative manifesto that Telford A&E would remain open after his personal intervention is now being 'clarified'. Why are the media using that language? Its not being clarified at all, he said it would remain open and it isn't. That's a lie any day of the week.

shmmeee

The biggest political mandate to leave the EU.

And go where?

“leave” isn’t an instruction, it’s a negative statement.

As I have to tell my four year old daily: don’t tell me what you don’t want, that doesn’t help. Tell me what you do want.

Brighton Sky Blue

Look at the backdrop, how embarrassing. They really have nothing but pointing the finger at Labour. Notice that in his speech Javid contradicted Johnsons promises on National Insurance.

View attachment 13553

Also interesting that Johnsons lie when laughing the Conservative manifesto that Telford A&E would remain open after his personal intervention is now being 'clarified'. Why are the media using that language? Its not being clarified at all, he said it would remain open and it isn't. That's a lie any day of the week.

Don’t be ridiculous the nasty media love picking on poor fatso

Liquid Gold

View attachment 13553

The cost of Corbyn appears to be nothing.

Philosorapter

And go where?

“leave” isn’t an instruction, it’s a negative statement.

As I have to tell my four year old daily: don’t tell me what you don’t want, that doesn’t help. Tell me what you do want.

The question was quite simple enough to answer.

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

Otis

The question was quite simple enough to answer.

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"
It wasn't though really, was it. No-one even knew what a Northern Ireland backstop was. There was no talk of differing deals.

It made it sound all so simple, when the truth was, it was nothing but simple.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If you’re going to pretend to care about prejudice for political points, at least learn to spell it. Anti-semitic
You're morphing into Mart more and more .

Philosorapter

Customs union then. Job done. Tell the ERG.

It wasn't though really, was it. No-one even knew what a Northern Ireland backstop was. There was no talk of differing deals.

It made it sound all so simple, when the truth was, it was nothing but simple.

It was a constitutional question from the start off and always has been.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

She’s getting more airtime on national tv especially the BBC this time possibly because a possible outcome of the GE is a minority Labour government with a deal with the SNP. The BBC doing Boris another favour as people are edgy about the SNP in some sort of coalition with Labour. But the BBC hate Boris and treat him unfairly. Apparently.
I think if Sturgeon is getting airtime then they should give the Scottish Labour and Tory leaders air time as well.
Preferably leave them all out.

ccfc92

"Vote registrations spike due to Stormzy backing Corbyn"

Jesus Christ. Nothing like a sheep voter.

"Me main man Stormzy backs Jezza, init blud"

NorthernWisdom

Objectively, this is a genuinely interesting interview tonight with Andrew Neil. He's a good, hostile interviewer, if a bit bull in china shop. Corbyn has actually held himself together very well the first 15-20 minutes, but starting to lose his patience a little, and that could unravel him if he's not careful.

Will be genuinely interested to see how Swinson and Johnson get on with him!

Walsgrave

Objectively, this is a genuinely interesting interview tonight with Andrew Neil. He's a good, hostile interviewer, if a bit bull in china shop. Corbyn has actually held himself together very well the first 15-20 minutes, but starting to lose his patience a little, and that could unravel him if he's not careful.

Will be genuinely interested to see how Swinson and Johnson get on with him!

I was about to say that Neil seems to be asking the right questions - not giving the interviewee questions in areas of their comfort zones - e.g. Corbyn's not getting any questions on inequality. I'm all for that, as in any mature democracy out leaders should be held accountable. Would love to see what questions are in store for the other leaders.

Users who are viewing this thread