General Election 2019 thread (12 Viewers)

djr8369

For balance: Johnson has literally purged the One Nation Tories from the party and an ex chancellor and father of the house are both saying don’t vote Tory. Which is a touch more damning than Ian Austin who has been anti Corbyn for decades and wasn’t kicked out.

The Austin thing has been framed very differently though and so had significantly more impact.

Lewis Goodall did a good thread on twitter about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

I thought Watson resigned before. Though I think it was after Glastonbury so probably on a come down.

shmmeee

giphy.gif

Fucking hell bet your fun at parties, you need to stop being so serious about a bit of bants

Whatever age you are. Voting age should be higher.

Grendel

The Austin thing has been framed very differently though and so had significantly more impact.

It’s very significant as it’s very rare that long standing members of labour say vote conservative or viva versa

the press have always covered these stories in the same manner

SkyBlueDom26

Second former Labour MP tells voters to back Tories

John Woodcock has today become the second former Labour MP to urge voters to back the Tories at the 12 December election.

He joins Ian Austin in recommending voters favour Boris Johnson over Jeremy Corbyn.

He says: "There are one of two people who are going to be prime minister after an election. It is Boris Johnson or it is Jeremy Corbyn."

"We pleaded with our friends in the Labour Party to face up to this choice, not to leave it until too late," Mr Woodcock adds.

"Now all of that to an extent is water under the bridge, but we have arrived in a campaign where one of two people are going to be prime minister."

He continues: "The choice to keep Jeremy Corbyn away from Downing Street, to stop him getting his hands on the levers of national security and defence has to be to vote Conservative in this election and that's what I'll be doing as well."

Grendel

John Woodcock has today become the second former Labour MP to urge voters to back the Tories at the 12 December election.

He joins Ian Austin in recommending voters favour Boris Johnson over Jeremy Corbyn.

He says: "There are one of two people who are going to be prime minister after an election. It is Boris Johnson or it is Jeremy Corbyn."

"We pleaded with our friends in the Labour Party to face up to this choice, not to leave it until too late," Mr Woodcock adds.

"Now all of that to an extent is water under the bridge, but we have arrived in a campaign where one of two people are going to be prime minister."

He continues: "The choice to keep Jeremy Corbyn away from Downing Street, to stop him getting his hands on the levers of national security and defence has to be to vote Conservative in this election and that's what I'll be doing as well."

This is unprecedented in British Politics

shmmeee

Just read it. He’s spot on. Saw this as well, compare the reporting of this to every AS accusation levelled at Corbyn.

Grendel

Just read it. He’s spot on. Saw this as well, compare the reporting of this to every AS accusation levelled at Corbyn.

Wasi has about as much credibility as George Galloway - she was promoted out of her depth and has been embittered ever since

skybluetony176

Just to be clear this is the guy who had the whip removed after allegations of sexual harassment that he labelled a set up and then refused to cooperate with the investigation that would have cleared his name.

So to recap. One MP who thinks Corbyn is wrong to criticise the labour government that took us into what is almost certainly an illegal war and one MP who’s apparently a sex pest using text messages but we’ll never know as he wouldn’t cooperate with the investigation that would have cleared his name. Clearly two people of good judgment that we should all be taking notice of.

Astute

Woodcock was my local MP until they wanted to get rid of him. Used to have some good chats.

They put a false charge against him and wouldn't let him defend himself properly. Labour refused to appoint an independent investigator. That is why he left. Strangely enough he was always outspoken about Corbyn.

shmmeee

Woodcock was my local MP until they wanted to get rid of him. Used to have some good chats.

They put a false charge against him and wouldn't let him defend himself properly. Labour refused to appoint an independent investigator. That is why he left. Strangely enough he was always outspoken about Corbyn.

Are you implying the staffer that made the complaint was put up to it?

Astute

Are you implying the staffer that made the complaint was put up to it?
Why wouldn't Labour allow an independent investigator?

One is allowed by the rules. But Labour wouldn't keep to the rules. Can you explain why?

Grendel

Grendel

Media reporting especially the BBC is skewed towards the existing establishment, whoever is in charge.

Is it? Show an example to illustrate that theory.

fernandopartridge

John Woodcock the partner of Isabel Hardman who works as Assistant Editor of the Spectator - he's about as Labour as Boris Johnson.

Ian Austin - Pro Iraq war and absolutely anti-immigrant to a BNP level

Grendel

In other words all who agree with you are credible and all who don’t aren’t.

the irony here it’s in response to a tweet by a defector Nick Bowles who unlike the labour defectors retains a loyalty to his original routes against Mr Corbyn - the irony is hilarious

Grendel

Look at their coverage of the monarchy for a start

The monarchy is not political and there are many many negative items regarding them and their expenditure - poor try

Astute

John Woodcock the partner of Isabel Hardman who works as Assistant Editor of the Spectator - he's about as Labour as Boris Johnson.

Ian Austin - Pro Iraq war and absolutely anti-immigrant to a BNP level
Is that right? Shows how much you don't know about him. Has been a great MP for the area. And my union always gave him their full support.

Brighton Sky Blue

The monarchy is not political and there are many many negative items regarding them and their expenditure - poor try

Support for the monarchy isn’t a political issue? You forget I have been to protest against it to find radio silence and ignorance from British media yet we drew much attention from foreign media. They are celebrated, not reported on.

Just look at what happened when the Guardian attempted to publish Charles’ meddling in the Blair government.

skybluetony176

Why wouldn't Labour allow an independent investigator?

One is allowed by the rules. But Labour wouldn't keep to the rules. Can you explain why?
All he had to do is release his phone records and if he was innocent the case against him would have failed. The accusation was that he’d been sexually harassing the staffer by text for a period of two years. Clearing his name would have been the easiest thing in the world to do regardless of who was running the investigation.

Grendel

Support for the monarchy isn’t a political issue? You forget I have been to protest against it to find radio silence and ignorance from British media yet we drew much attention from foreign media. They are celebrated, not reported on.

Just look at what happened when the Guardian attempted to publish Charles’ meddling in the Blair government.

what about the recent Mail article laying out Prince Charles profligate behaviour?

Users who are viewing this thread