General Election 2019 thread (8 Viewers)

fatso

Can you give me an example of a country where they've legalised either of them successfully? Or where they've legalised and taxed some kinds of rape and murder and not others? Nonsensical argument.
The nonsensical argument is the one where we legalise something, just because we can’t stop people breaking the law.

clint van damme

The nonsensical argument is the one where we legalise something, just because we can’t stop people breaking the law.

that's not the argument though is it?
You are aware we once went to war for the right to sell drugs?
And that the status of individual drugs has changed constantly throughout the decades including prohibition in the States.
To compare them to rape and murder is nonsense.

skybluetony176

that's not the argument though is it?
You are aware we once went to war for the right to sell drugs?
And that the status of individual drugs has changed constantly throughout the decades including prohibition in the States.
To compare them to rape and murder is nonsense.
Alcohol would be a class a drug if it was illegal. Legalising drugs isn’t as stupid as it sounds when you consider the damage alcohol does to society.

clint van damme

Alcohol would be a class a drug if it was illegal. Legalising drugs isn’t as stupid as it sounds when you consider the damage alcohol does to society.

I don't agree with prohibition. But if that is the route you go down then surely you don't make a drug,Which as you point out is highly dangerous,available on almost every street.
You have to ban the lot surely?
But then create another revenue stream for the gangsters.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't agree with prohibition. But if that is the route you go down then surely you don't make a drug,Which as you point out is highly dangerous,available on almost every street.
You have to ban the lot surely?
But then create another revenue stream for the gangsters.

It is safer having it legal than handing a monopoly to illegal vendors who can taint the product. Do we ban all addictive substances because of a minority who fall susceptible to addiction?

fatso

Good job we didn't decriminalise being gay oh wait what
Knife carrying.
Gun ownership.
Speeding.
Legalise drugs today, and the door opens to anyone with an agenda.
The dickhead at the school gates selling drugs to children would love drugs to be legalised, it wouldn’t stop dealing, it would just make it more affordable, and less risky, And which drugs do you legalise? All of them, or just a few, and who gets to decide?

Seymour_East

Makes no difference - the rise of extremism is down to the Eu and in particular monetary union - which pretty much makes it impossible for these countries to actually leave anyway
What a nit-wit you are, maybe you should have paid more attention at history in school... if you were ever bothered to attend.

Sick Boy

Knife carrying.
Gun ownership.
Speeding.
The dickhead at the school gates selling drugs to children would love drugs to be legalised, it wouldn’t stop dealing, it would just make it more affordable, and less risky, And which drugs do you legalise? All of them, or just a few, and who gets to decide?

How are drugs comparable to carry knives and guns? Wow.

It’s only relatively recent that legislation has been in place and it’s been a failure.

Also dealing outside of a school would not become less risky or cheaper. Legislation would remove the profitability for large scale gangs and would hand power back to the state.

Any lone individual passing drugs onto children could also be dealt with far more severely.

Drug use within society is not going to go away or be stopped with the current model, all it does is push it underground and hand power and a lot of money to unsavoury individuals.

Grendel

Apart from since then even Le Pen and Salvini have revised their EU stances - the dominos effect of Brexit that many predicted has hardly come to light, has it?

The article suggests that this is simply a strategy to destroy from within and take it apart bit by bit

Sick Boy

The article suggests that this is simply a strategy to destroy from within and take it apart bit by bit
I don’t doubt they’ll have some kind of strategy but it’s not like the whole European Parliament is eurosceptic.

I’d be more concerned about the UK if I were you now that Brexit is happening and the divisions that I think will only continue to increase over time.

Astute

Answer the question
Answer what question?

You have been shown to be wrong. So you tried to say you said untruths to try and catch me out. I have shown you how difficult it is to get into the country with the limits set by the Tories so they can keep the total immigration numbers down. Yet you still try to twist the truth.

You are a joke. You can't handle admitting when you are wrong.

Sick Boy

Astute

The power needs to be taken away from criminals and given back to the state, the article highlights the way it works in Holland;

Under ‘decriminalization,’ as opposed to legalization, the production of marijuana to this day is not controlled by the Dutch state, and growing and selling quickly became a business opportunity, especially for the poor.
Which is what I have been saying.

It has all gone wrong in Holland. The main problem is that they didn't have a plan. They jist stopped prosecuting for small amounts. It still isn't legal. So it got shaped by those who benefit the most.

It has ended up where drugs are produced and then distributed all over the world. So much money is made that false companies are started to clean the money made.

And all these drugs are produced on our doorstep.

clint van damme

Knife carrying.
Gun ownership.
Speeding.

But that hasn't happened in Portugal, or Switzerland.
Is the US alcohol trade safer and more regulated now than when it was in the hands of gangsters?
As for which drugs do you legalise, as I said earlier, I don't think there's a one size fits all solution per country.
But remember, spice, which until recently was legal, is highly dangerous, has been responsible for many deaths, and there is huge problematic use of in prisons and among the homeless only came about because cannabis is illegal.

Astute

They clearly have issues in Holland though calling it a narco state is sensationalism.
A narco state is a country whose economy is reliant on drug money which Holland isn't.
And it hasn't got the levels of violence you'd expect in a narco state. It's murder rate is less than the UK.
The Dutch GDP is currently over 10% drug related that they seem to know of. That is quite reliant whichever way you put it.

So what percentage of murders in Holland is to do with drugs?

Our murder rate isn't exactly low these days when it comes to drugs. There is approximately one murder every two days in London alone. So not the best place to compare murder rates with.

So back to what I was saying. Unless legalisation is done right and with a lot of consideration it will cause a lot more problems than it will solve.

clint van damme

The Dutch GDP is currently over 10% drug related that they seem to know of. That is quite reliant whichever way you put it.

So what percentage of murders in Holland is to do with drugs?

Our murder rate isn't exactly low these days when it comes to drugs. There is approximately one murder every two days in London alone. So not the best place to compare murder rates with.

So back to what I was saying. Unless legalisation is done right and with a lot of consideration it will cause a lot more problems than it will solve.

But Holland does have legalised cannabis and cannabis tourism.
Is this violence related to that or illegal class A drugs? I don't know because I've not read the whole story to be honest.

Grendel

Answer what question?

You have been shown to be wrong. So you tried to say you said untruths to try and catch me out. I have shown you how difficult it is to get into the country with the limits set by the Tories so they can keep the total immigration numbers down. Yet you still try to twist the truth.

You are a joke. You can't handle admitting when you are wrong.

Er no one seems to agree with you but your self - which seems to happen a lot

The question was how personal experience do you have - we all know the answer anyway

fernandopartridge

But Holland does have legalised cannabis and cannabis tourism.
Is this violence related to that or illegal class A drugs? I don't know because I've not read the whole story to be honest.
The best policy is to decriminalise possession for personal use and regulate supply. Not all out legalisation which he seems to be suggesting would be the case.

We're never going to get it in the UK, the country is a reflection of the reactionary media.

Sick Boy

The best policy is to decriminalise possession for personal use and regulate supply. Not all out legalisation which he seems to be suggesting would be the case.

We're never going to get it in the UK, the country is a reflection of the reactionary media.
As long as the state is involved in the supply it helps to eliminate the criminal element. Agreed that it would never happen in the UK

tisza

From what I know from 2020 a small number of companies are going to legally grow cannabis under licence from the Dutch Govt. It's a trial period to measure the impact on crime etc. and restricted to a few areas.
There was a plan to allow householders to grow a maximum of 5 plants for personal use.
In purely financial terms the lucrative side of the illegal drugs (and criminality) isn't so much about cannabis but the harder drugs and synthetic drugs. In 2017 the official police figures 22 bn Euros worth of synthetic drugs were made in Holland.

dutchman

Cannabis is not actually legal there.
Absolutely correct, all drugs are illegal everywhere in Holland.

Decrimanalised?
Various local authorities turn a blind eye to small scale usage but you can still be arrested by the state police.

Where local councils have 'licensed' cannabis cafés the regulations governing them are routinely ignored.

Users who are viewing this thread