General Election 2019 thread (17 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

No doubt this will become a Corbyn v Boris battle where it should be Corbyn v Johnson, Johnson likes this Boris name as it makes him seem more normal. I am going for a hung parliament and many more years of shenanigans over brexit.

Terry Gibson's perm

I will vote labour but I am not comfortable with the leadership Corbyn is to old and Abbot is too crazy, but anything has to be better than this buffoon that is Johnson and we have the vulgar Mogg hanging around in the back ground

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Where has Corbyn been similarly anti-Semitic?

I think Johnson probably is at least islamophobic. He certainly leads an islamophobic party. The difference in reaction to the accusations levelled at each party is stark. Labour bring in the EHRC and the Tories nix any investigation. Most data done on party supporters shows Labour as one of the least racist memberships and Tories as one of the most. The idea that the left is more racist in general than the right is frankly hilarious.

As for the IRA stuff. Yes he supported Irish unification and probably still does. I think using what was a complex and violent time on all sides for political points is a little off TBH. Both sides of that were talking to people and both sides have skeletons in their closet there. Best to move past it all. I’m not sure meeting Gerry Adams is the smoking gun of prejudice you make out though.

I agree that there are clearly elements of Labour that are anti-semitic (though there are also those in the Tory party, just as I'd have thought there will be a small number in Labour who are Islamophobic) but I think in the main it's more a criticism of Israel and their actions in the region, a lot of which is justified or at the very least massively disproportionate.

Of course depending on your interpretation of the IHRA definition this could be considered anti-semitic in itself. Even what I've written above could be.

One thing I've never got is why it is always called anti-Semitic but other things are 'phobia's' - Islamophobia, Homophobia, Transphobia etc. This is an irrational fear of something (and therefore on the whole an accurate description for many). However, when it leads to physical or verbal attacks on Muslims, gays or Transgender people it has gone beyond a phobia and is clearly anti-Islamic or anti-homosexual etc. There are just as many, if not more, attacks on Muslims, gays etc than on Jews. Why is there no Semitophobia, which would be much closer to a correct definition.

Last edited:

Astute

You won’t find a single person on here defending anti-semitism.
Grow up.
But they defend Corbyn and his involvement with the IRA. And they ignore each time when it is brought up that he frequently showed sympathy for terrorists killed but never the innocent women and children killed by them.

Yeah just the person we need to run the UK.

Astute

Should be clear. I think Corbyn is naive in who he meets and suffers from a habit of automatically backing the underdogs. But that’s an entirely different thing from saying he’s a dangerous terrorist sympathiser.
And naive on his sympathy for terrorists but not those killed and maimed by them?

Astute

Mo Mowlam asked for Corbyn to get involved in the peace process because he'd already spent time building bridges in an effort to bring peace to the region. Is she an IRA sympathising trot bitch now too or something?
Did she show sympathy for the terrorists killed but ignore the innocent?

Astute

I'm not. I'm convinced the NHS is in jeopardy under the tories. so are many others including health care professionals and that's the message Labour need to get across.
Is that why we nearly always have a Tory party leading the UK and we still have a NHS. Yet privatisation was put at full speed by the last Labour government?

Yeah but Corbyn isn't Bliar. I hear you. Just like Corbyn wants out of the EU. Is him not being able to come out with the words on if he wants in or out for so long anything to do with him not wanting to say remain?

clint van damme

Is that why we nearly always have a Tory party leading the UK and we still have a NHS. Yet privatisation was put at full speed by the last Labour government?

Yeah but Corbyn isn't Bliar. I hear you. Just like Corbyn wants out of the EU. Is him not being able to come out with the words on if he wants in or out for so long anything to do with him not wanting to say remain?

If you think the NHS is safe under the tories crack on and vote for them.
I don't think it is for one minute.
I wouldn't think it would be safe under a blair government either.
But blair isn't in charge of the labour party any more.

Corbyn has always been leave, we all know that, same as Johnson was for expansion and the inclusion of Turkey until he smelt a shot at the leadership.
I understand why Corbyn is trying to appease all sides but it hasn't proved very successful.
But he also leads a party which is hugely divided on Brexit, more so than the tories and by far more so than the Lib dems.

Ian1779

But they defend Corbyn and his involvement with the IRA. And they ignore each time when it is brought up that he frequently showed sympathy for terrorists killed but never the innocent women and children killed by them.

Yeah just the person we need to run the UK.

Does Johnson show any regard for the innocent children killed by the bombs and weapons that his party have sold to various regimes?

Grendel

Does Johnson show any regard for the innocent children killed by the bombs and weapons that his party have sold to various regimes?

how is that even remotely the same thing?

Sick Boy

Again avoided the IRA point but ok. I didn't say he was defending it, I was pointing out the error in the argument. As for grow up, try being more balanced. Your daily rhetoric is boring.

It’s strange that you’ve never said anything about the Brexit Party and their pro-IRA candidate. Maybe you should try and be more balanced.

Grendel

It’s strange that you’ve never said anything about the Brexit Party and their pro-IRA candidate. Maybe you should try and be more balanced.

again not the same thing

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How about a hung PM?

Far too many people make decisions based solely on their perception of the leader. They look upon it more like a presidential election than a parliamentary one.

I think the good thing about the PM role is that they are effectively just a manager of those in the house and thus any power they have can be limited, even if they can be very influential. If the party they lead is decent the leader is of less importance.

We still have a monarchy but the head of state in practice has almost no power - they are in essence a figurehead. If we abolished the monarchy and had a directly elected president they'd arguably have way more power than the Queen because they can argue they have public consent/backing. Look at the things Trump and Putin are able to do as individuals and although they can be voted out they also have the means and influence to carefully manage their public perception and that of their rivals as well and over time concentrate more and more of the power into their position. I think a President could be an extremely dangerous thing, especially in the modern day of personality driven politics.

chiefdave

Brexit party only going for Labour seats and not targeting conservative ones, hopefully they make a good pact with the conservatives
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has played down reports his party is considering withdrawing candidates in hundreds of constituencies in order to concentrate resources on a small number of Labour-held seats.

Mr Farage told the PA news agency: "This is idle speculation. I have not spoken to anyone of any seniority in the party (about this)."

Astute

If you think the NHS is safe under the tories crack on and vote for them.
You frequently make our I have said something when I have said the opposite.

Or would you like to point out where I have even hinted it might be safe with the Tories?

Of course not.

SkyBlueDom26

You frequently make our I have said something when I have said the opposite.

Or would you like to point out where I have even hinted it might be safe with the Tories?

Of course not.

What side are you even on? Its like your constantly switching

Astute

And here comes the defence.

Did Boris show sympathy for those using the bombs but refuse to show sympathy for those innocents killed by them?

Of course not. But let's not let the truth get in the way of a lecture.

Astute

What side are you even on? Its like your constantly switching
I'm not on a side. I know it seems as though I am supposed to be though.

It is what a debate is supposed to be about. Look at the good and bad of all sides.

Ian1779

And here comes the defence.

Did Boris show sympathy for those using the bombs but refuse to show sympathy for those innocents killed by them?

Of course not. But let's not let the truth get in the way of a lecture.

The truth is that we can all present a raft of ‘evidence’ to support a viewpoint.

It’s not about a defence - it’s about the fact that if you are going to try and hold someone to account then you have to do it objectively with balance.

The thing you so often claim to do.

Astute

The truth is that we can all present a raft of ‘evidence’ to support a viewpoint.

It’s not about a defence - it’s about the fact that if you are going to try and hold someone to account then you have to do it objectively with balance.

The thing you so often claim to do.
So you are now having a go at me for doing what I say I do?

The one difference between myself and yourself with others is I am putting my viewpoints across against each party leader. Yourself and others are putting your viewpoints across against all but one and championing the last one while defending him. Then you have a go at anyone who dares to come out with the truth about him.

Try and say that isn't the truth.

Ian1779

So you are now having a go at me for doing what I say I do?

The one difference between myself and yourself with others is I am putting my viewpoints across against each party leader. Yourself and others are putting your viewpoints across against all but one and championing the last one while defending him. Then you have a go at anyone who dares to come out with the truth about him.

Try and say that isn't the truth.

I’m raising a point... hardly what I’d call having a go.

And the reason why I read your comments is because you do have worthwhile things to say. But you infuriate me because you seem obsessed with the notion of ‘personality politics’ - especially with Corbyn. I had you down as someone that could see through it.

I will champion my viewpoint of course, but at least mine is clear.

Sick Boy

Loyalist terrorists (or those with close connections) do. Seems to get missed somehow
They seem to be okay though for some reason - probably because they identify as British and the usual no surrender bollocks that gets trotted out on here.

Grendel

It's already factored in as real wage growth accounts for inflation

It’s yet another nonsense graph from SBTs political analyst who is about as credible as Dennis Penis - average wage growth is a convenience graph developed oddly by another TuC economist and in reality means absolutely nothing

skybluetony176

I will vote labour but I am not comfortable with the leadership Corbyn is to old and Abbot is too crazy, but anything has to be better than this buffoon that is Johnson and we have the vulgar Mogg hanging around in the back ground
You also have Rabb who’s every bit as stupid as Abbott but seems to get away with it for some reason. Then there’s McVey, enough said, Pritti Patel, a woman of such good qualities she’s happily designing an immigration policy that would have kept her own parents so by default her herself out of the country.
If ever there’s an election where it’s impossible to vote for personalities this is it.

Users who are viewing this thread