Gay Footballers (1 Viewer)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm just remembering the homophobic abuse Graham Le Saux received from press, fans, players & even team-mates.......and he wasn't even gay, he just happened read a broadsheet newspaper & speak with a middle class accent.....

Sick Boy

No need for the div. You disagree, fine. Tell me why. Don't see a single thing wrong with my post, in fact I think it's positive, certainly intended that way, so no need for the throw away insult.

Div
I’d presume for the retail comment, what’s it got to do with gay men other than a stereotype? That’s not to say that I don’t think your post was well meaning though.

Sick Boy

Homophobic chanting still goes on and is excused as ‘banter’, i’m not surprised no player has come out as gay.

rob9872

I’d presume for the retail comment, what’s it got to do with gay men other than a stereotype? That’s not to say that I don’t think your post was well meaning though.
Take your point, but if I was and there was a benefit to it, then why not take it? In fact I'd probably think of it as a down payment on any abuse coming my way. You only have to look at the products sold in Beckham's name to know it can be profitable if you have the looks to match.

Grendel

I'm just remembering the homophobic abuse Graham Le Saux received from press, fans, players & even team-mates.......and he wasn't even gay, he just happened read a broadsheet newspaper & speak with a middle class accent.....

Robbie Fowler......

Grendel

He wasn't helped by his manager being Brian Clough who was shall we say not very sympathetic.

They were pretty bizarre times. Fashanu was cruising around all over the place. Clough was a complete drunk. I once found him sleeping in my front garden. The players after training all piled into the local and most got hammered every night.

Brighton Sky Blue

They were pretty bizarre times. Fashanu was cruising around all over the place. Clough was a complete drunk. I once found him sleeping in my front garden. The players after training all piled into the local and most got hammered every night.

Yes you mentioned the Clough story before

rob9872

Tbf that wasn't uncommon. Players didnt play golf in the afternoons or live healthy lifestyles at all. Finished training at 11 and in the pub by 12. All of my first autographs came from my uncle who regularly drank in the Clarendon in Kenilworth them most days.

Bugsy

Reactions: vow

Liquid Gold

It really needs a player at one of the big clubs to come out for anything to happen.

I can imagine that they are advised not to by the clubs due to big support in heavily religious countries though.

Sick Boy

It really needs a player at one of the big clubs to come out for anything to happen.

I can imagine that they are advised not to by the clubs due to big support in heavily religious countries though.
I suspect it’s more to do with the culture and attitudes, both within the game and in the stands, rather than that.

Reactions: SBT

Tommo1993

On the fan side of things, the last two games there’s an idiot in Block 15 that shouts ‘FAGGOT!…GET UP YOU FAGGOT!’ every time an opponent goes down. This isn’t right surely?

I’m sort of ashamed I've not challenged him already. Trouble of success is the sharp increase of fucking dickheads.

Liquid Gold

On the fan side of things, the last two games there’s an idiot in Block 15 that shouts ‘FAGGOT!…GET UP YOU FAGGOT!’ every time an opponent goes down. This isn’t right surely?

I’m sort of ashamed I've not challenged him already. Trouble of success is the sharp increase of fucking dickheads.
Report him mate, stewards should be trained to tell him to shut the fuck up or get the fuck out.

Don't know if the number is still the same but worth a go/an ask.

Sick Boy

Report him mate, stewards should be trained to tell him to shut the fuck up or get the fuck out.

It should be treated on the same level as racist abuse, sadly it's a long way off that at the moment.

Tommo1993

I have to. Was thinking about it last night and it was winding me up. I definitely will if it happens v Swansea

shmmeee

It should be treated on the same level as racist abuse, sadly it's a long way off that at the moment.

Not just at the footy. Daughter received 15 different homophobic comments because she went to school with a pride rainbow PE bag and got told “just ignore them”. Um. No. Do your fucking job.

SBT

I suspect it’s more to do with the culture and attitudes, both within the game and in the stands, rather than that.

Exactly - sadly it's naive to think that this is predominantly some other country's problem.

Sick Boy

that advert alone is so outdated - even that shows the improvement in education in a decade
unfortunately that education and acceptance does not spread to everybody
It’s a wider societal issue that’s worse around football. We’re decades if not 100 years away from genuine acceptance of same-sex relationships as normal through Europe and with that I mean acceptance of couples behaving in public like heterosexual couples.

Flying Fokker

Yeah and by the stats we have they’ll be about 50 or 4% of players who feel they can’t be who they are at work or around their colleagues

And if it's like my woke workplace there is another 96% who can't be themselves as well. The thing is, workplaces should be exactly that and there should be no issues providing people stick to the same guidelines. That includes keeping private lives to themselves in my opinion. Maybe wrong but I can't see any reason why anybody has to shout their sexuality out to the rest of the world.

Sick Boy

And if it's like my woke workplace there is another 96% who can't be themselves as well. The thing is, workplaces should be exactly that and there should be no issues providing people stick to the same guidelines. That includes keeping private lives to themselves in my opinion. Maybe wrong but I can't see any reason why anybody has to shout their sexuality out to the rest of the world.
Christ.

Brighton Sky Blue

I didn’t realise being gay and woke were analogous

NorthernWisdom

It's about the freedom to say you went for dinner with your husband, without having to cover up the gender of your partner, when asked what you did over the weekend.

It's about being able to say freely who you went on holiday with, without fear of recrimination.

It's about being able to take part in normal, everyday chat, without feeling you have to hide elements of your life that heterosexual people don't.

clint van damme

It's not about shouting your sexualiry to the world its about being allowed to be yourself.

If Phil Foden or Mason Mount go on a date with a girl and come out of a bar holding hands with them there would be little reaction.

If they do it with a man can you imagine the furore?

That's nothing to do with flaunting your sexuality.

Liquid Gold

I bet 10 years ago you were exactly the type to say “I don’t care what they do, I just don’t want to see it”

Users who are viewing this thread