Gay Footballers (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

How is this still an issue in 2021

if any of my team or even the opposition came out, It would be an amazing step forward
Abuse should be the same as the way racists are treated, and any supporters should instantly challenge and report any abuse

you would imagine if one of them came out, it would then not be a big thing, and there are probably a queue behind who want to get it out of the way and get on with their football

As it is they probably have to live a very sheltered life as they cannot just get on with normal day to day things eg going shopping or for dinner with their partners

Evo1883

Most people genuinely don't give a fuck tbh , there's never been a better time in history to come out has there?

COV

Most people genuinely don't give a fuck tbh , there's never been a better time in history to come out has there?

You have to remember you're talking about Premier League Footballers, a secretive cliquey world if ever there was one, where grown men don't realise they need passports to travel abroad, PAs are called to remove a spider from their bedroom, and where there seems to be a thriving anti-vax culture.

shmmeee

They’d 100% get stick, probably both from opponents in their ear and some fans cos that’s just how the game is. Brighton still get homophobic chants just because they’re Brighton.

That said, until someone comes out and forces that to happen it won’t get properly changed. I’m not going to blame anyone who doesn’t want to be the first to take that risk though.

Evo1883

They’d 100% get stick, probably both from opponents in their ear and some fans cos that’s just how the game is. Brighton still get homophobic chants just because they’re Brighton.

That said, until someone comes out and forces that to happen it won’t get properly changed. I’m not going to blame anyone who doesn’t want to be the first to take that risk though.

Yea probably, but there's never been more support and there's no point living a secret life .

Just get it out the way , you'd be pretty well protected by the FA and various football unions and your own club and fans

Terry Gibson's perm

If the players think it would be easy if they came out they would have by now as I am sure it would make their lives a bit easier without all the secrets.

shmmeee

Yea probably, but there's never been more support and there's no point living a secret life .

Just get it out the way , you'd be pretty well protected by the FA and various football unions and your own club and fans

I agree. Just saying it’s easy to say “rip off the plaster” when it ain’t your bollock hairs on the line.

TomRad85

I don't know why people are desperate for a footballer to come out to be honest. Whys everyone so desperate to know where other people stick their private parts behind closed doors.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I don't know why people are desperate for a footballer to come out to be honest. Whys everyone so desperate to know where other people stick their private parts behind closed doors.

I’d just quite like a society where people aren’t scared to come out. I’m not asking for a detailed breakdown of Fankaty Dabos sexual proclivities. (Definitely a hit them hard and early kinda guy).

Evo1883

He went to the papers tbh

TomRad85

I’d just quite like a society where people aren’t scared to come out. I’m not asking for a detailed breakdown of Fankaty Dabos sexual proclivities. (Definitely a hit them hard and early kinda guy).
I just don't think anyone really cares anymore tbh, bit of stick at Leeds and Millwall I reckon. But I don't see why anyone has to announce anything, if homosexuality is accepted as normal it doesn't need someone to come out like a Town Crier to the newspapers.
Dabo I would think has a very good engine, wouldn't want to date his ex would you, you aren't going to measure up well.

skybluesam66

but even at our level without the spotlight of the premier league ?

There have been players in the past where there have been rumours . What is worse ?
I have friends/ family members who have come out, and the carrying the secret is so much worse than coming out, and that is what will lead to mental issues or even worse

Of course it is not an easy step, but takes 1 person to be very very brave - and I cant believe that he would not be followed by others
The fact that there is not 1 openly gay footballer across 4 divisions of around 2000 + players .

wingy

I just don't think anyone really cares anymore tbh, bit of stick at Leeds and Millwall I reckon. But I don't see why anyone has to announce anything, if homosexuality is accepted as normal it doesn't need someone to come out like a Town Crier to the newspapers.
Dabo I would think has a very good engine, wouldn't want to date his ex would you, you aren't going to measure up well.

Employ the digits i say ,if you're flagging.

wingy

I just don't think that's true all across the globe there is kickback going on,it wouldn't take a lot for it to creep into a populist leader's agenda,use the right language and it could be whipped up.

rob9872

I get that some high profile players haven't risked it, but I find it hard to believe nobody wants to come out because basic statistics suggest there must be some gay players.

Tbh I'd be more likely to if I was a bang average middle of the road type player for someone like Southampton or Burnley. Can you imagine the endorsements for the first one brave enough? Retail brands would be queuing up in this era to be associated as long as they don't look like Luke Chadwick.

LastGarrison

I get that some high profile players haven't risked it, but I find it hard to believe nobody wants to come out because basic statistics suggest there must be some gay players.

Tbh I'd be more likely to if I was a bang average middle of the road type player for someone like Southampton or Burnley. Can you imagine the endorsements for the first one brave enough? Retail brands would be queuing up in this era to be associated as long as they don't look like Luke Chadwick.
And posts like this are exactly why they won’t…..

Div.

rob9872

And posts like this are exactly why they won’t…..

Div.
No need for the div. You disagree, fine. Tell me why. Don't see a single thing wrong with my post, in fact I think it's positive, certainly intended that way, so no need for the throw away insult.

Div

Jamesimus

At a guess, I imagine their concern wouldn't be centred around the possible retail endorsements, they'd be more concerned with online and in-game abuse, being put under the media spotlight etc.

Shouldn't matter who they play for, but currently with what's going on, they know they won't receive decent protection from footballing authorities and people dishing out the abuse won't recieve enough in the way of retribution.

So, although I can't pretend to know, I imagine it's easier not to publicly come out as a footballer at the moment.

rob9872

At a guess, I imagine their concern wouldn't be centred around the possible retail endorsements, they'd be more concerned with online and in-game abuse, being put under the media spotlight etc.

Shouldn't matter who they play for, but currently with what's going on, they know they won't receive decent protection from footballing authorities and people dishing out the abuse won't recieve enough in the way of retribution.

So, although I can't pretend to know, I imagine it's easier not to publicly come out as a footballer at the moment.
I agree from their point of view, but we'd be naive to think agents don't play a huge part in this. Once it's common place it won't matter, but the dressing room is a strange place and you know secretly there will still be discrimination and not only wages but transfer fees would be affected. That's why I suggested someone less high profile who would actually become high profile by coming out and show that commercially it can be positive.

Although that makes me a div so not so sure now!

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

but even at our level without the spotlight of the premier league ?

There have been players in the past where there have been rumours . What is worse ?
I have friends/ family members who have come out, and the carrying the secret is so much worse than coming out, and that is what will lead to mental issues or even worse

Of course it is not an easy step, but takes 1 person to be very very brave - and I cant believe that he would not be followed by others
The fact that there is not 1 openly gay footballer across 4 divisions of around 2000 + players .
Yeah and by the stats we have they’ll be about 50 or 4% of players who feel they can’t be who they are at work or around their colleagues

Brighton Sky Blue

I presume they’re concerned not about abuse from the stands but online. The best thing would be these men in their 20s and 30s realising they don’t need to be on ‘socials’ in the first place and at the top level if they really want to they can just pay someone to manage the account.

Doesn’t help that FIFA awarded the next WC to a country that criminalises homosexuality either. Or in fact the previous one where the leader considers trans people mentally ill.

rob9872

Yeah and by the stats we have they’ll be about 50 or 4% of players who feel they can’t be who they are at work or around their colleagues
I'm not sure it will be that high. Many will have felt so oppressed over the years that they don't follow that path. In society the number is true, in sport I'd guess it's less than half that number, however still significant and by being open about it will allow the gateway for others to come through and feel included in future.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not sure it will be that high. Many will have felt so oppressed over the years that they don't follow that path. In society the number is true, in sport I'd guess it's less than half that number, however still significant and by being open about it will allow the gateway for others to come through and feel included in future.

‘they don’t follow that path’

It isn’t choosing a career. They will still be gay regardless of how deeply they’ve tried to repress the feelings.

rob9872

‘they don’t follow that path’

It isn’t choosing a career. They will still be gay regardless of how deeply they’ve tried to repress the feelings.
Missed the point I was making. I meant he path of football not being gay ffs!

JAM See

Given the amount of "My seven time a night bonkfest with Prem star" type stories that do the rounds, I'm amazed that a story involving two consenting males hasn't surfaced.

How do these fit and wealthy young men keep a lid on their activities?

chiefdave

Given the amount of "My seven time a night bonkfest with Prem star" type stories that do the rounds, I'm amazed that a story involving two consenting males hasn't surfaced.

How do these fit and wealthy young men keep a lid on their activities?
Similarly there must be homophobic footballers who would happily have 'accidentally' let slip to the press that a current or former teammate was gay. That would lead me to believe that players who are gay are so concerned that its not even known to their teammates.

Sky Blue Pete

I stuck my head above the parapet to challenge our silence at church and over the next few weeks had about 10 people come up to me privately to say thank you for ensuring their issues were being discussed. Most I had no idea they were gay.

Marty

I don't get this 'coming out' thing, who cares what a person gets upto in their private life? Wouldn't be surprised if they're put off by the media, you just know they'll be trotted out at every opportunity to become a spokesman for that sexuality.

Users who are viewing this thread