Gavin and Stacey (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I never watched it previously. I had dipped in here and there and thought it just wasn't funny so always turned it off.
Last night I decided to give it a go as my kids had been banging on about how good it was so I thought I'd watch the entire episode.
I wasn't disappointed: It was utter tosh. Is it supposed to be funny ?
Bah humbug !

Last edited:

Sick Boy

I never watched it previously. I had dipped in here and there and thought it just wasn't funny so always turned it off.
Last night I decided to give it a go as my kids had been banging on about how good it was going to so I thought I'd wath the entire episode.
I wasn't disappointed: It was utter tosh. Is it supposed to be funny ?
Bah humbug !
Never watched it before and had the misfortune of watching it last night, it was shite.

pastythegreat

Never understood why people go out of their way to tell people how much they hate something.
If it comes up in conversation at the pub then by all means, tell everyone you've never seen it or aren't really a fan. But to start a thread about something you dont watch because you think its shit??? Why?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Never understood why people go out of their way to tell people how much they hate something.
If it comes up in conversation at the pub then by all means, tell everyone you've never seen it or aren't really a fan. But to start a thread about something you dont watch because you think its shit??? Why?

I did watch it though. I thought I'd do due diligance on it before commenting. Why would I talk about it down the pub ? I play darts down the pub.

Mr Panda

I don't think it's designed to be so much as a comedy which you're expected to laugh at every minute or so, people who haven't seen it before are expecting something which it is not. The original series are quite clever in how they're scripted and written and it's a good comedic drama.

That being said, the episode last night was a bit shite and probably not needed.

pastythegreat

I did watch it though. I thought I'd do due diligance on it before commenting. Why would I talk about it down the pub ? I play darts down the pub.
But you didnt do due diligence on it though. You "dipped in and out" and watched an xmas special 12/13 years after the programme first ever aired. To say you dont think something that's not really a comedy isn't funny shows how much due diligence you actually put in to it really. That's like going straight in with home alone 4 and watching a shit film and writing off 1 and 2 as shit before even watching them properly, in order and actually buying in to the story/characters.

clint van damme

like rugby players/supporters telling you why they don't like football - we all know why, because you're a dislikable social inadequate who got bullied at school because of your two left feet you blazer wearing wanker!

Otis

Never seen it. Not sure why, but it just didn't appeal to me, so can't really be bothered to start dipping in now.

Macca

They are in trouble it seems for singing along to Fairytale of New York. Does anybody use the word faggot as a derogatory term towards gay people in the UK? When I go back to my less enlightened youth I may well have used some unpleasant language about gay people but I’m sure that wasn’t one of them. It’s an American term is it not?

SBAndy

They are in trouble it seems for singing along to Fairytale of New York. Does anybody use the word faggot as a derogatory term towards gay people in the UK? When I go back to my less enlightened youth I may well have used some unpleasant language about gay people but I’m sure that wasn’t one of them. It’s an American term is it not?

On that subject, I’m almost certain it was included because of Bryn’s questionable past with Jason.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

But you didnt do due diligence on it though. You "dipped in and out" and watched an xmas special 12/13 years after the programme first ever aired. To say you dont think something that's not really a comedy isn't funny shows how much due diligence you actually put in to it really. That's like going straight in with home alone 4 and watching a shit film and writing off 1 and 2 as shit before even watching them properly, in order and actually buying in to the story/characters.
Thanks for that. If I want to say it's crap I will. It was. Utterly.

Otis

Yes, it was used here in the UK in the 70's for sure, as I recall. Heard it all the time at school. Luckily, not directed at me.

Macca

Yes, it was used here in the UK in the 70's for sure, as I recall. Heard it all the time at school. Luckily, not directed at me.

Heard it used almost as a similar meaning as rascal but not in the American way. Plenty of other unpleasant terms but not that

Otis

Heard it used almost as a similar meaning as rascal but not in the American way. Plenty of other unpleasant terms but not that
Yeah, at our school 'faggot' was definitely used as a derogatory term for homosexual.

skyblue1991

Enjoyed the Xmas special, can't believe they left it on a cliff hanger though!

Anything in life (sport, TV, film, music) is all about personal choice and taste. No one is right or wrong for liking anything, even Gavin and Stacey!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Mcbean

Only watched it for Joanna Pages Norks - the story was rubbish - faggots and peas classic food -why should it be any different

clint van damme

It seems that if you liked Gavin and Stacey 10 years ago you liked this. If not then you probably still don’t.

I used to like it though would never consider it a classic and the special passed an hour but wasn't brilliant.
There is a paucity of good British comedy.

fatso

I had the misfortune of having to sit through it, and thought it was just utter childish nonsense.
The fact that so many find it funny says more about the mentality of the general public than anything else.
Humbug!

Grendel

I’ve never seen it before - Alison Steadman does this sort of thing easily and with her Larry Lamb and Rob Brydon it was always going to be competent

Xmas specials often are mediocre - The Royle family was one that was always still at the top of its game

tisza

Liked the original series.
But the special didn't have the flow of the series for obvious reasons. It's a 9/10 year gap which is difficult to bridge.
As a one-off it's difficult if you don't know the characters or some of the running jokes.
The new character just didn't work - it was like they were trying to add a new element which just wasn't needed.

Otis

When the likes of Mrs Brown, Miranda and My Family can run for years and be considered a success we've got a problem!
I just cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can find Mrs. Brown's Boys funny. Same with My Family and Miranda.

Would it be safe to say it is pretty much the same audience for all three?

Grendel

I just cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can find Mrs. Brown's Boys funny. Same with My Family and Miranda.

Would it be safe to say it is pretty much the same audience for all three?

Doubt it. Browns Boys is crude the others more Terry and June

ajsccfc

I thought it was decent, bit of a greatest hits feel to it though so was definitely aimed at established fans mostly. I like how the title characters have anyways been the least interesting of the lot throughout.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Christmas Day running order on BBC1:-
Michael Wank-Intyre's "Big" Show
Call the Midwife (or a psychiatrist, preferably)
Gavin & Stacey
East Enders
Mrs Brown's Boys.

Nuff said, i feel!
Didn't watch a single minute of it. And yet, i'm obliged to pay for it.

tisza

Doubt it. Browns Boys is crude the others more Terry and June
Pretty much this. But I couldn’t stand things like the Young Ones either. Any Comedy that tries too hard to be alternative I don't tend to get.

Otis

Pretty much this. But I couldn’t stand things like the Young Ones either. Any Comedy that tries too hard to be alternative I don't tend to get.
I really liked the Young Ones. Very fresh and new when it first came out.

Otis

I must have been at a low point in my life, but I didn't mind My Family!

Three up Two Down always seemed hilarious when I was a child mind you, but it's an absolute turd of a comedy.
I really couldn't stand My Family.

They just seemed to resort to dressing Kris Marshall up in ridiculous outfits for cheap laughs. He would just walk in wearing a frog suit for no reason at all and to my mind, it seemed the writers knew it wasn't that funny and therefore kept introducing new characters and more and more of them. Like they knew it couldn't be sustained otherwise.

I really wanted to like it because I am a big fan of Robert Lindsey.

Didn't see Three Up Two Down.

Users who are viewing this thread