Gavin and Stacey (4 Viewers)

clint van damme

I really couldn't stand My Family.

They just seemed to resort to dressing Kris Marshall up in ridiculous outfits for cheap laughs. He would just walk in wearing a frog suit for no reason at all and to my mind, it seemed the writers knew it wasn't that funny and therefore kept introducing new characters and more and more of them. Like they knew it couldn't be sustained otherwise.

I really wanted to like it because I am a big fan of Robert Lindsey.

Didn't see Three Up Two Down.

I can't stand my family either. Never seen the programme though.

pastythegreat

Thanks for that. If I want to say it's crap I will. It was. Utterly.
That's fine. Weve all got different opinions and if you think something is crap then you're entitled to that opinion. I just dont get why youd go out of your way to start a thread just to point out something was crap.
I've never watched a single episode nor have any interest in game of thrones. I dont lead conversations with it though. The first time I meet somebody new on the bus "I've never watched GOT you know?! Load of crap I think"! Its just weird. If it came up in conversation then fair enough, but it's not really a conversation opener!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

I’ve never seen it before - Alison Steadman does this sort of thing easily and with her Larry Lamb and Rob Brydon it was always going to be competent

Xmas specials often are mediocre - The Royle family was one that was always still at the top of its game
I'm not sure, the more recent Royle Family Christmas specials were dreadful, they made the error of taking it out of context and it didn't work, overly contrived. That said, better than Gavin and Stacey

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That's fine. Weve all got different opinions and if you think something is crap then you're entitled to that opinion. I just dont get why youd go out of your way to start a thread just to point out something was crap.
I've never watched a single episode nor have any interest in game of thrones. I dont lead conversations with it though. The first time I meet somebody new on the bus "I've never watched GOT you know?! Load of crap I think"! Its just weird. If it came up in conversation then fair enough, but it's not really a conversation opener!

Jesus Christ , so what if I started a thread after watching only one episode . Loads of threads start on here by people who don't like this or who think such and such a player/ manager / politician is crap etc. Do you get irritated about that ? Should they keep it for the pub only ?
Most threads on this site should surely be deleted .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If you've never ever seen an episode of game of thrones why would you want to make a comment ? I've never seen one either, but if there was a Christmas special and you said you watched it and it was crap why would I give a toss so much as to say you shouldn't mention it on here ? It's your opinion. You saw it, you're entitled to say it's brilliant or shit. I wouldn't give a toss enough to point out what you should say on here, in the pub or on the bus.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Tell you what, a Game of Thrones Christmas special would be superb. Throw in a couple of Morcambe and Wise dance routines, job's a good'un.
Haha. I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

ajsccfc

I hated the Royle Family special where Dave and Denise hosted Christmas dinner in particular, taking two characters that were a bit dim and lazy in the regular series and instead making them brain damaged morons.

fernandopartridge

I hated the Royle Family special where Dave and Denise hosted Christmas dinner in particular, taking two characters that were a bit dim and lazy in the regular series and instead making them brain damaged morons.
Exactly aj, that's what I was thinking of. They lazily caricatured all of the characters and it was wank.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I can't say that I like or dislike Gavin and Stacey, never having watched it. I just get a feeling for some programmes and if the advertised format doesn't grab my attention then I won't watch it. Having said that, I thought the same about "The Inbetweeners" and after a couple of years, decided to give it a go. I bloody loved it! Watched every episode in every season and all the follow-up films! Best comedy for years! So it just goes to show, us old farts can be wrong sometimes!

Grendel

Are the main cast members deliberately named after Serial Killers?

Travs

Everything gets drawn out too far....

Inbetweeners mentioned above... fantastic.... the first film was good, but I thought the 2nd film was dogshit.

anyone watched People Just Do Nothing.... first three series were brilliant.... 4th and 5th absolute guff...

Royle Family, Only Fools, even the great Auf Wiedersehen Pet (first two series probably the best tv ever.... 3rd was average, 4th terrible...)

Mind you, Gavin & Stacey was reasonable for about two episodes before becoming shit, never mind two series...

The only comedies I can think of that remained consistent until they finished were Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dad’s Army, Steptoe (if you like comedy from that era.... I do...!!)

Otis

Inbetweeners mentioned above... fantastic.... the first film was good, but I thought the 2nd film was dogshit.

anyone watched People Just Do Nothing.... first three series were brilliant.... 4th and 5th absolute guff...

Royle Family, Only Fools, even the great Auf Wiedersehen Pet (first two series probably the best tv ever.... 3rd was average, 4th terrible...)

Mind you, Gavin & Stacey was reasonable for about two episodes before becoming shit, never mind two series...

The only comedies I can think of that remained consistent until they finished were Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dad’s Army, Steptoe (if you like comedy from that era.... I do...!!)
Fawlty Towers got it spot on. As did The Office and Extras.

Jack it in while you are on top.

If you look at US comedies, both Frasier and Friends went from greatness to a bit meh in the end

Covstu

I like G&S but certainly don’t love it, it’s a bit daft which is amusing but you need to know the characters and history before jumping into the Xmas special. The biggest mystery is how anyone can find Miranda funny?

OffenhamSkyBlue

Porridge was great to the end - but then they made Going Straight (about Fletcher's life on the outside), which was utter shite. They should have learnt from that and never made another spin-off sequel EVER! (See Only Fools & Horses and Green Green Grass)

OffenhamSkyBlue

Fawlty Towers got it spot on. As did The Office and Extras.

Jack it in while you are on top.

If you look at US comedies, both Frasier and Friends went from greatness to a bit meh in the end
The Americans try to milk all their ratings successes for all they're worth. House of Cards was truly terrific for the first probably 3 series, then they started having to make up more contrived plot-lines and they lost it. Designated Survivor was great for series 1, but then got ridiculous from the start of series 2. And i loved Lost when it was first screened, believing it to be an 18-part series. But then it got turned into a six-series, 121-episode behemoth.
I hate it when people clamour for more, when a series had come to a natural conclusion. The Night Manager was a wonderful dark series, based on a Le Carre novel (for which there is no sequel). And just because all the forty-something women were wetting their knickers about how attractive Tom Hiddlestone was, they wanted more. NO!!! Leave it alone, as the author intended!
Mind you, i could have watched Hugh Laurie's on-screen girlfriend (Elizabeth Debicki) all day long!!

Travs

Porridge was great to the end - but then they made Going Straight (about Fletcher's life on the outside), which was utter shite. They should have learnt from that and never made another spin-off sequel EVER! (See Only Fools & Horses and Green Green Grass)

I thought the very first episode of Going Straight was really good... where they were on the train back.... but it went downhill rapidly after that...

OffenhamSkyBlue

I thought the very first episode of Going Straight was really good... where they were on the train back.... but it went downhill rapidly after that...
Yeah, that should have been the very last episode of Porridge, entitled "Going Straight" - then bin the rest of them!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Same with Open All Hours. Brilliant years ago with Ronnie Barker but what a shite follow up with David Jason in his shoes, so to speak. Bloody awful!

Users who are viewing this thread