Gary Hoffman (1 Viewer)

lordsummerisle

Fair play to him, called me personally this morning to talk through any issues.

Certainly seems very genuine as a Coventry fan, and doing what he feels best for the club, only a brief chat, but did explain a little more about his place on the board(and wshes he had left sooner than he did).

Couldn't speak long as he was about to get on a flight and i was outside working at the time(he was probably getting onto the Netjets flight from BHX whilst i was 30 yards from it), but impressed me with his honesty, and wanting to engage directly with, not so much a critic as a cynic.

Will just let them all get on with it now, for good or ill, lets face it there is fuck all any of us can do anyway, so may as well let it flow!

Godiva

Certainly seems very genuine as a Coventry fan, and doing what he feels best for the club, only a brief chat, but did explain a little more about his place on the board(and wshes he had left sooner than he did).

Couldn't speak long as he was about to get on a flight and i was outside working at the time(he was probably getting onto the Netjets flight from BHX whilst i was 30 yards from it), but impressed me with his honesty, and wanting to engage directly with, not so much a critic as a cynic.

Will just let them all get on with it now, for good or ill, lets face it there is fuck all any of us can do anyway, so may as well let it flow!

I had the chance myself but declined a call.
As I have no access to the other stakeholders I felt I would not be able to verify/test anything he could tell me - especially about the work on the board he took part of.

@richh87

Fair play!

lordsummerisle

I had the chance myself but declined a call.
As I have no access to the other stakeholders I felt I would not be able to verify/test anything he could tell me - especially about the work on the board he took part of.

I don't think that anything he said was in confidence, he did say that Joe Elliott was never allowed a voting role on the board, so he and Ranson were always outvoted by Sisu(who even made decisions on buying bottled water for the team).

Don't know what the make-up of the board was at the time, so will take it on trust(unlike me I know).

Not going to be a "happy-clapper" still, as there always need to be some balance, but as i said earlier, just going to see how it pans out.

The Penguin

Called you personally, eh?

I've got questions for him, I might start publically questioning/berating him on here then. :D

lordsummerisle

I've got questions for him, I might start publically questioning/berating him on here then. :D

To be fair to him, he didn't need to, it's not like the ones questioning are in a majority on here(I seem doomed to be in a minority!), so we're hardly influential.

torchomatic

Bit dodgy. How did he get your number?

lordsummerisle

Bit dodgy. How did he get your number?

Somebody requested it through PM for him(must be his PA or wife or something!).

I thought if I'm going to be critical, at least afford him the chance to answer the criticisms directly, which fair enough he did.

If had more time would have tried to ask a few questions about the bid, Haskell, views on ACL etc, but definitely feel a bit more disposed to him now, unfortunately without being bought off as I could do with the money!

torchomatic

Oh, that's OK. If you gave him to him then fair enough. Good of him to do it.

Somebody requested it through PM for him(must be his PA or wife or something!).

I thought if I'm going to be critical, at least afford him the chance to answer the criticisms directly, which fair enough he did.

If had more time would have tried to ask a few questions about the bid, Haskell, views on ACL etc, but definitely feel a bit more disposed to him now, unfortunately without being bought off as I could do with the money!

Godiva

I don't think that anything he said was in confidence, he did say that Joe Elliott was never allowed a voting role on the board, so he and Ranson were always outvoted by Sisu(who even made decisions on buying bottled water for the team).

Don't know what the make-up of the board was at the time, so will take it on trust(unlike me I know).

Not going to be a "happy-clapper" still, as there always need to be some balance, but as i said earlier, just going to see how it pans out.

The board was:
Ranson, Hoffman, Elliott, Parkin and Igwe.
How Igwe (only sisu rep) could outvote Ranson and Hoffman is beyond me. In case of split voting the chaimans vote is deciding.

lordsummerisle

The board was:
Ranson, Hoffman, Elliott, Parkin and Igwe.
How Igwe (only sisu rep) could outvote Ranson and Hoffman is beyond me. In case of split voting the chaimans vote is deciding.

Maybe you should ask him yourself? Didn't have those facts at my fingertips, so couldn't question his assertion, however he may have a good reason for his view?

Who the hell is Parkin? Not that fat lump we tried to sign is it??

rupert_bear

Good to hear that, couldn't see the likes of Mr Robinson doing that. Would be nice for he and "our" Joe to hold the next meeting at the Willenhall or Bell Green clubs, sure to get a full house at either. We won't bite.

Bluegloucester

Maybe you should ask him yourself? Didn't have those facts at my fingertips, so couldn't question his assertion, however he may have a good reason for his view?

Who the hell is Parkin? Not that fat lump we tried to sign is it??
It's Mike Parton. Joe was only a director of CCFC Ltd. ransom, Igwe, Hoffman and Parton were on the board of CCFC H.

lordsummerisle

Good to hear that, couldn't see the likes of Mr Robinson doing that. Would be nice for he and "our" Joe to hold the next meeting at the Willenhall or Bell Green clubs, sure to get a full house at either. We won't bite.

To be fair to Robinson, he did use to do quite of lot "glad-handing" amongst the "plebs" at half-time at Highfield Road.

chiefdave

I'm not supporting him till I get my phone call and he takes us all out for breakfast and / or coffee. If he can't manage that he's clearly not as good as Dinsar or the crazy canadian who's name escapes me at the moment.

Credit where credit's due lordsummerisle, that must have involved some proactivity on your part so I take back my words.

Good to see GH making an effort with the cynics too!

Godiva

If he has something he want's to set straight he should do it in public. He seem capable enough to get access to the media, so he should say what he have to there and not to a select few on a forum.
This would give the other stakeholders opportunity to speak up if his memory is clouded or if he only tells part of the story. You and I have not enough information to ask the right questions.

Having said that - I have never questioned GH's dedication to the club. But as he is not publicly accepting responsibility for decisions made 'on his watch' how can we trust him with another chance?

Last edited:

ajsccfc

On the off-chance, I think Eliza Dushku is incredibly corrupt and would definitely say it to her face.

ajsccfc

Rashida Jones also has absolutely no financial backers, and I think her takeover is self-serving. You hear me Jones?

Blueandwhites

Ha! Exactly. Regrettably seems like a reward for berating the good man (mr Hoffman) on a public message board. A little annoying perhaps to the majority of fans who don't resort to these tactics and dont get the opportunity? That said, Mr H went out of hid way to make the Kenilworth q&a last week. I guess it's not what you say, it's how loud you shout...and how many times you shout it ; )

Godiva

Ha! Exactly. Regrettably seems like a reward for berating the good man (mr Hoffman) on a public message board. A little annoying perhaps to the majority of fans who don't resort to these tactics and dont get the opportunity? That said, Mr H went out of hid way to make the Kenilworth q&a last week. I guess it's not what you say, it's how loud you shout...and how many times you shout it ; )

Why do you think it is a reward?

lordsummerisle

He probably doesn't think he has to convert the converted to be honest.

If you don't have questions to ask, then he wouldn't need to call you to answer them would he?

Nonleagueherewecome

Fair play for sharing that with us. How'd he get your number?!? 0800WICKER?

Torch and Grendel must be awaiting their calls with bated breath!

And it is "bated", not "baited": the Harry Potter lady got it wrong. Apparently:

"'Bated' is simply a shortened form of 'abated', meaning 'to bring down, lower or depress'. 'Abated breath' makes perfect sense and that's where the phrase comes from".

Nonleagueherewecome

Rang all the Lord Summerisles in the phone book until he had the right one?

This wouldn't work with Torchomatic, there's thousands of them in Warwick... :whistle:

lordsummerisle

Fair play for sharing that with us. How'd he get your number?!? 0800WICKER?

Torch and Grendel must be awaiting their calls with bated breath!

And it is "bated", not "baited": the Harry Potter lady got it wrong. Apparently:

"'Bated' is simply a shortened form of 'abated', meaning 'to bring down, lower or depress'. 'Abated breath' makes perfect sense and that's where the phrase comes from".

Of course it's bated breath, "baited" breath would smell of maggots!

Nonleagueherewecome

Users who are viewing this thread