Gardening (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
There's a house along the road where I live in Malvern. The garden is spectacular, so much so, people stop and take photos of it. I even took one myself. It's all the little bits in it that you have to look for from the road. Trouble is, it's on a bloomin' hillside and it makes yer neck ache looking up at it!
IMG_6691.JPG
IMG_6692.JPG
Both pictures taken from the pavement, looking up. And here is the Google Earth view......
Garden.JPG

Nick

Administrator
Get some new fence panels, they will just slide out and in. Would make loads of difference ;)

Oakdale in Exhall is decent!

Rich

Get some new fence panels, they will just slide out and in. Would make loads of difference ;)

Oakdale in Exhall is decent!
The old hollybush farm at Astley cross roads are best mate. Top quality panels, less than £20 each.

shmmeee

Welcome to the hood. I’m the other side of town, Coalpit is spot on, some good honest folk down there. Used to do my paper round down there

Seems alright. I was about to buy in Acacia Crescent behind Nico and to be honest I got a curtain twitchy nosey neighbour Finham type vibe from it which is not my bag.

shmmeee

Acacia is one of the dodgy bits. Well dodged.
I’d love a decent garage like on your picture. Not got one at my place.

Haha the seller whatsapped me randomly to tell me how much he was going to miss the garage.

shmmeee

I hope you have big plans for an awesome man cave?

My ten year old tells me it’ll be her granny flat at 15. I’m thinking half home office half man cave. We’ll see who wins (the ten year old, it’s always the ten year old).

Rich

My ten year old tells me it’ll be her granny flat at 15. I’m thinking half home office half man cave. We’ll see who wins (the ten year old, it’s always the ten year old).
Split it in two and make it both.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm no gardener, but I'm going to dig out a patch in my back garden and buy one of those packets of beebombs, grow a mini wildflower meadow like this, supposed to be great habitat for honey bees:
080a66ce07742ba1d6ca4f635ff74936.jpg

They do look good but I might suggest putting some bulbs in before you spread the seed, esp spring bulbs. Some of the wildflower meadow mixes don't get going until quite late in summer and it can look a bit sparse early in the year and it'll help insects earlier in the year. By the time the wildflowers are in bloom all the spring bulbs will have died back.

Also don't add any compost or fertilizer to the spot you put the meadow. Rich soil favours the weeds and promotes them growing more foliage than flowers. Treat 'em mean.

fernandopartridge

They do look good but I might suggest putting some bulbs in before you spread the seed, esp spring bulbs. Some of the wildflower meadow mixes don't get going until quite late in summer and it can look a bit sparse early in the year and it'll help insects earlier in the year. By the time the wildflowers are in bloom all the spring bulbs will have died back.

Also don't add any compost or fertilizer to the spot you put the meadow. Rich soil favours the weeds and promotes them growing more foliage than flowers. Treat 'em mean.

Thanks for the tip, so basically i'll cut back the turf and sprinkle these (and add some spring flower bulbs)?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thanks for the tip, so basically i'll cut back the turf and sprinkle these (and add some spring flower bulbs)?

Pretty much yeah.

Plant the bulbs (just throw them on the ground and bury them where they land - looks more natural) first
Give the soil a rake over so it's pretty flat and not clumpy then just scatter the seed.

If you get a mix look for yellow rattle (rhinanthus minor) in it as that's parasitic on grass roots and keeps it in check if you've left any roots in or if it might spread back from nearby areas.

Evo1883

Trying my hardest to bring as many bees and butterflies to my garden as possible... So therapeutic... Sounds sad but I love it

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Trying my hardest to bring as many bees and butterflies to my garden as possible... So therapeutic... Sounds sad but I love it

Been really good for butterflies in my garden last two days. Buddleia been covered in then.

D

Deleted member 4439

Don't forget the hedgehogs! I currently have 4 that visit me in the early evenings (who knows after that). Easy to knock up a feeding station out of a plastic box, plus some sprinkles on the ground. Make sure you have a couple of hog highways! Similarly, create a hotel or two (though it can be variable as to whether they are used year to year).

Easy, also, to create a hibernacula if you have an old pallet and plastic tubing. I have one by my pond, though hard to say what life lives in there!

Evo1883

Habginf basket alreadybdying after 1 day lol

I just googled and you really need to drench the basket in water so have done now

What i noticed yesterday was that once the flowers in my garden started going back into the shade from 3 pm onwards... The flowers started to look healthy again.

By 7pm they looked healthier than ever.. Amazing really

NorthernWisdom

It’s great having life in your garden though. First thing I do is plant bee and butterfly attractors and put a bird feeder in.
Make sure your Buddleia doesn't get out of control though! Mine is a constant battle - the previous occupants let it grow to a mighty height, and even cutting it back to the floor won't stop it coming back space.

shmmeee

Don't forget the hedgehogs! I currently have 4 that visit me in the early evenings (who knows after that). Easy to knock up a feeding station out of a plastic box, plus some sprinkles on the ground. Make sure you have a couple of hog highways! Similarly, create a hotel or two (though it can be variable as to whether they are used year to year).

Easy, also, to create a hibernacula if you have an old pallet and plastic tubing. I have one by my pond, though hard to say what life lives in there!

Yes! Hedgehogs! Especially because:

D

Deleted member 4439

Had two goldfinch in the garden the other day first time in 40 years in the house!

That's kinda odd, as I thought goldfinch were essentially the new 'sparrow' - along with great/blue tits they are the most common visitors around my parts. The other commons are green finches, long-tails, blackbirds, robins, chaffinches, sparrows, wrens, goldcrests, magpies, wood pigeons, collard doves. More rare: stock doves and jays, and we usually have a wood pecker hanging around, though not of late.

This also hung around for a few days :)

1596185575801.png

Users who are viewing this thread