Gardening (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

So I never cared about gardening at all, we moved into our house in november and decided to crack on clearing the shit tip and became a little addicted tbh lol, I spend more time in my garden than I do in the house... Constantly looking for things to do, any aspiring Alan titchmashes on the forum? I'm 36 ffs

Before, day we moved in and so far progress, need 3 new fence panels IMG_20200729_120531.jpg IMG_20200729_120556.jpg
IMG_20200729_120416.jpg IMG_20200729_120633.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Looks good!

Although I did bark in my garden and you have to be on top of it, shit tries to grow through it and on top of it when it gets wet etc :(

Evo1883

Looks good!

Although I did bark in my garden and you have to be on top of it, shit tries to grow through it and on top of it when it gets wet etc :(
Yes I noticed, what I did though was borrow my old man's rotavator and turned the mud over for about 30 minutes.... Weve had 1 or 2 tiny bits mostly on the edges

Ordered 3 little Robins to pin onto the wood log, missus thinks I've gone soft lol

Nick

Administrator
I found that in the wet the bark went all mushy sometimes :( Over time it's as if some of it has composted!

Evo1883

I think over time, I'm going to plants shrubs in the area of the bark, planted 2 hydrangea, I see it as less bark easier to manage, its good to know that it almost composts...

Nick

Administrator
I think over time, I'm going to plants shrubs in the area of the bark, planted 2 hydrangea, I see it as less bark easier to manage, its good to know that it almost composts...

Yeah then a bird drops seeds on it, then it all goes to shit.

As long as you stay on top of it it should be fine :)

Evo1883

Also a little seating area at the bottom, need to get some stuff to get rid of small mould stains on the patio IMG_20200729_122238.jpg

Evo1883

We did and it really cleaned them up but left those little black dots, you can buy some stuff leave it on and it draws it out but it's about 35 quid

lifeskyblue

Did you put weed liner under the bark? That helps slow the growth of most weeds that try and push through.
Yes the bark will slowly compost and will need renewing over time. But not for a while.
What you have done is fantastic and looks great. I’m not sure you need to change that for a year or more...you may want more tubs (or not). I like the flowering tubs and perhaps next year include a few plants that cascade over edge). If you go for shrubs in future look at how high they grow...ie do you want them to overthrow fence or not? Also look at the spread...if you not careful in a year or two they will creep over and obscure your path. You could add some low, ground cover plants for between shrubs.
The great thing is to experiment ...if you don’t like you can always change it. For example ( not sure of sun position in relation to garden) but you could try a climber (even in large pot to stop too much spread)...something like an everlasting honeysuckle, a clematis or a Passion flower ...and train them against shed or the tallest fence panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

good job (y) My garden was bog standard patio and lawn but I've started dotting some potted plants around but I'm not very green fingered, they all seem to die!
Started putting in some solar lighting and I'm going to get some planters with some veg in up and running.

Evo1883

Did you put weed liner under the bark? That helps slow the growth of most weeds that try and push through.
Yes the bark will slowly compost and will need renewing over time. But not for a while.
What you have done is fantastic and looks great. I’m not sure you need to change that for a year or more...you may want more tubs (or not). I like the flowering tubs and perhaps next year include a few plants that cascade over edge). If you go for shrubs in future look at how high they grow...ie do you want them to overthrow fence or not? Also look at the spread...if you not careful in a year or two they will creep over and obscure your path. You could add some low, ground cover plants for between shrubs.
The great thing is to experiment ...if you don’t like you can always change it. For example ( not sure of sun position in relation to garden) but you could try a climber (even in large pot to stop too much spread)...something like an everlasting honeysuckle, a clematis or a Passion flower ...and train them against shed or the tallest fence panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did put the membrane under the bark, thankfully

Flying Fokker

Looks good!

What did your neighbours say. I do a feeble squirrel noise but must admit I’ve not been brave enough to come down from my tree.

Tommo1993

Massive rookie question now. Only lived in flats before our most recent move. Obviously used to mow the garden at parents house, but that’s simply just mowing/strimming. This new house’s garden has been a bit neglected: patchy, uneven, etc. Is it easy to level out? And what’s the best way to basically regrow it?

If you think I don’t know what I’m doing, it’s because I don’t!

Mr Panda

I think like you said a couple of shrubs wouldn't go a miss in the garden to add some points of interest. Try and get some that change throughout the seasons, e.g. berries in the autumn, flowers in the summer. Will bring more wildlife in and it's nice to watch things grow and change.

Could do something along the side of the shed too. I'm currently turning a couple of pallets into planters and mounting them to things. Going to get some fragrances in there with lavender, lemon balm, rosemary, thyme etc. Good for cooking too.

If you have the space, just head to a garden centre and pick up some perennials/evergreens that you like the look of. Just keep them potted and eventually you might find a place for them.

Evo1883

Thankyou, I was thinking of putting 1 of these IMG_20200729_165004.png
In each of these gaps between the planters so 2 altogether IMG_20200729_164921.jpg

Thoughts

Mr Panda

Massive rookie question now. Only lived in flats before our most recent move. Obviously used to mow the garden at parents house, but that’s simply just mowing/strimming. This new house’s garden has been a bit neglected: patchy, uneven, etc. Is it easy to level out? And what’s the best way to basically regrow it?

It's not too difficult to relay your own lawn or grow it from seed if you're up for the hefty labour involved, quite satisfying when you can grow it all yourself too. Having a seed spreader and a heavy duty roller is beneficial and depending on where you live there might be neighbourhood associations that will have a stock of inventory you can use so you don’t have to buy one. Grass seed from Wilko is really good and very cheap.

Or you can buy grass treatments if it just needs a little TLC, will kill the weeds amongst the grass and grow it back stronger. Again you can buy that kind of stuff from Wilko.

skyblueinBaku

Evo1883

I started laying, realised it was proper graft, took the rolls back and seeded instead and the results have been pretty good where I've done it, have a few tiny patches I'm doing now

clint van damme

My lawn was fucked a few years ago due to been used as a builders yard when I did my extension.
I rotorvated it, levelled it out (ish), and turfed it

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Have you tried just a jetwash on the slabs? Thats really therapeutic.

Tends to be a short-term solution. Spreads the spores around and ultimately creates a bigger problem. Needs a proper solution to get rid of it, but need to be careful of overspray onto plants/lawns.

Users who are viewing this thread