Free agent fan. (2 Viewers)

Jay Enrile

I might get stick for this. Or not. Anyhow, it took time. Me eating my words, the daftness and everything that happened above. Apologies for the craziness, some screws were loose. I'm under repair. In the end, 20th in the Championship and I found it. A fan without a home no more. It's the Sky Blues for me.

This was funny, but in a weird way it helped, The biggest team in English football? Why that would be Coventry City.

robbiethemole

I might get stick for this. Or not. Anyhow, it took time. Me eating my words, the daftness and everything that happened above. Apologies for the craziness, some screws were loose. I'm under repair. In the end, 20th in the Championship and I found it. A fan without a home no more. It's the Sky Blues for me.

This was funny, but in a weird way it helped, The biggest team in English football? Why that would be Coventry City.
Wecome back Jay, this bit in the report made me smile :- And how can any club achieve anything like full penetration when 50 per cent of the population actively wishes it ill? In our case, it's 100% of the Council and most of Wasps

stevefloyd

I'm like you in some ways in that I'm not from the UK and grew up in Asia and live in the US. Football (or soccer as the Americans call it) was all around me when I was growing up. When I started playing and following football in the late 70s as a kid it was fashionable to support Man Utd and Spurs as my childhood friends were inclined to do. Coventry was quite a random and unfashionable pick for me, but one which I've stuck with for the better part of 40+ years now in spite of the friendly teasing. But how wonderful was it to gloat in the face of those around me in '87 when we won the FA Cup. That was priceless.

I've always been a fan of the underdog and that's probably why I have a fondness for Coventry. The team has endured highs and lows including spending the better part of 3 decades in the top flight before dropping to the depths of League 2 in the not too distant past. But this is a team on the upward trajectory with a great management team (although the same cannot be said of the owners). Yet, I am hopeful that things will improve for the long suffering fans and that we do start the 20-21 season in the Championship. Hopefully with a place i the Championship it will entice a new owner with deep pockets to bankroll the team for a run at the Premiership. I believe there is huge potential for the club especially if it returns to playing in Coventry in front of its large and loyal fan base. It would be nice to finally return to the Premiership where we were one of the inaugural members. We've had some memorable wins over the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe I'll get to see Coventry play those teams again in the top flight someday in my lifetime.
I bet its been fantastic with the advent of football forums, obviously especially Covs forums, to share the highs and lows and not feel as though you are a solitary supporter, when I was growing up everyone as you say were supporting the glory teams but little ole me to coin a phrase decided Coventry were my team and here I am 54 years later still moaning at them but they do hold a special place in my heart and always will

stevefloyd

Struggling to think of many celebs who were born Cov and live Cov.

Clive Owen - actor - Born Coventry - Supports Liverpool

Pete Waterman - music impressario - Born Coventry - Supports Walsall

Richard Keys - .......... - Born Coventry - Supports Coventry
Going back in time Vince Hill born in Holbrooks supports Coventry
some bloke from Coronation Street supports cov but can't remember his name so not sure where he was born

mds

Going back in time Vince Hill born in Holbrooks supports Coventry
Pointless fact, or useless bit of information, we lived in the house he was born in in the early eighties, Glaisdale Ave, probably the closest house to the Ricoh looking at google maps.

Last edited:

JPE3rd

Moving my musings to this account. Started off on the wrong foot on this thread. I felt I needed a fresh start.
Hope you're all doing well. Stay safe. PUSB!

-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread