Formula 1 2020 (2 Viewers)

Paul Anthony

Perez to Red Bull confirmed.

tisza

Perez to Red Bull confirmed.
Going to be interesting.
Perez only looking for a seat because Stroll's dad owns the team and has enough money not to worry about putting the best drivers in his cars.
Perez good enough to challenge Max and is not a default 2 driver. Hasn't worked well before for Red Bull when they have equal, competitive drivers. Max will spend as much time fighting Perez as he does Hamilton.
But if it comes off they could challenge Mercedes for the team championship.

Saddlebrains

Agreed, fantastic driver, and Albon can rebuild in the background hopefully. Was never good enough for a front running car

NorthernWisdom

Going to be interesting.
Perez only looking for a seat because Stroll's dad owns the team and has enough money not to worry about putting the best drivers in his cars.
Perez good enough to challenge Max and is not a default 2 driver. Hasn't worked well before for Red Bull when they have equal, competitive drivers. Max will spend as much time fighting Perez as he does Hamilton.
But if it comes off they could challenge Mercedes for the team championship.
Personally I don't think he is as good as Verstappen, more a Bottas to Hamilton at Mercedes - good, quick... but not quite top drawer.

That does make him the ideal teammate however.

Saddlebrains

I personally think Lewis has destroyed Valterri mentally.

How many times was Valterri leading all practice sessions, Q1 and 2 only for Lewis to snatch pole .

Or Valterri looking comfortable and gapping Lewis but then Lewis besting his push laps and taking the lead.

Bottas for me doesnt deserve the second merc seat it should be Russell. Bottas is quick, no denying, but he is not mentally strong enough to try and take a title fight to Lewis

NorthernWisdom

How many times was Valterri leading all practice sessions, Q1 and 2 only for Lewis to snatch pole .

Or Valterri looking comfortable and gapping Lewis but then Lewis besting his push laps and taking the lead.

Bottas for me doesnt deserve the second merc seat it should be Russell. Bottas is quick, no denying, but he is not mentally strong enough to try and take a title fight to Lewis
He's the ideal number two, though. Quick enough to be second, pick up the pieces when Hamilton fails to finish, but not quick enough to cause friction in the team by fighting all the time.

tisza

Personally I don't think he is as good as Verstappen, more a Bottas to Hamilton at Mercedes - good, quick... but not quite top drawer.

That does make him the ideal teammate however.
Not as good as Max but more competitive and aggressive than Albon and likely to be far closer to him on track. Potential for mishaps as when Max was driving with/against Ricciardo. Perez has a history of being aggressive with teammates and was bullying Stroll on track even before he lost his seat.

Saddlebrains

He's the ideal number two, though. Quick enough to be second, pick up the pieces when Hamilton fails to finish, but not quick enough to cause friction in the team by fighting all the time.

Thats perfect for Mercedes but unfortunately not for us fans of the sport 😔

xcraigx

Albon probably would have won the 1st race of the season if Hamilton hadn't have nudged him off track and it's been downhill pretty much ever since for him. I'm sure all the rumours have not helped his performances but a year out of the public eye will do him good and he's got time on his side so i'm sure he'll come back stronger at some point in the future.

Perez is good signing for Red Bull, someone who's unlikely to challenge Max (I hope i'm wrong) but will there there or thereabouts and will pick off wins at places like Sakhir / Monza when Merc have issues and Max has had a mechanical issue.

Regarding Bottas, yes Hamilton had just about broken him and then up pops Russell with a sledgehammer to apply the finishing blow. He knows he's toast in 2022 so it wouldn't surprise me if he has a Vettel like season in 2021, just going through the motions. I'm not sure what Merc are planning for 2022 but Russell and Hamilton in the same car would be fantastic. Russell strikes me as a smart guy and I reckon he can be trusted to race Hamilton hard without the two smashing each other up.

hill83

Only person who is, is Max. And I don’t think he’s there yet either.

hill83

All the talk of the car being built around Max at red bull, I hope someone like Perez with a vast amount of experience can get things swinging his way a bit. I like Albon but maybe his lack of experience prevented that from happening.
There’s a reason Ricciardo left them.

Last edited:

Saddlebrains

Red Bull is Max's Team, Helmut Marko and Horner obsessed with him.

Agree with the above on Bottas, have zero hope for him next year, heads gone.

On Max, do we feel he really is the next big thing? Because I've felt for a while now that a certain man by the name Of Charles Leclerc is at least on par, and goes under the radar way more than Max. The things he does in that shitbox ferrari are miraculous

tisza

Red Bull is Max's Team, Helmut Marko and Horner obsessed with him.

Agree with the above on Bottas, have zero hope for him next year, heads gone.

On Max, do we feel he really is the next big thing? Because I've felt for a while now that a certain man by the name Of Charles Leclerc is at least on par, and goes under the radar way more than Max. The things he does in that shitbox ferrari are miraculous
Obsession was with his youth when he first entered F1. But now it's almost become the norm.
So for all the digs he has at Hamilton about having equal cars there's 4 or 5 young drivers now in F1 who can say the same about the advantage his Red Bull has over them.
Leclerc, Sainz ,Norris,Russell all got talent. Norris with a Mercedes engine could be interesting next year.

Saddlebrains

Obsession was with his youth when he first entered F1. But now it's almost become the norm.
So for all the digs he has at Hamilton about having equal cars there's 4 or 5 young drivers now in F1 who can say the same about the advantage his Red Bull has over them.
Leclerc, Sainz ,Norris,Russell all got talent. Norris with a Mercedes engine could be interesting next year.

I think formula 1 is in a fantastic place driver wise at the moment with the new generation. All the drivers mentioned above, Schumacher and Tsunoda have looked the part in F2 also so interested to see how they get on.

Anyone else get the feeling Lewis will get title number 8 and then walk at the end of next year?

NorthernWisdom

I think formula 1 is in a fantastic place driver wise at the moment with the new generation. All the drivers mentioned above, Schumacher and Tsunoda have looked the part in F2 also so interested to see how they get on.

Anyone else get the feeling Lewis will get title number 8 and then walk at the end of next year?
Or head for the nice round ten.

People who are driven struggle to just quit, though.

tisza

The new contract will probably provide a clue in terms of value and length. Woolf staying and this new INEOS investment might encourage to stay on a bit longer.
Also how the new car looks for 2022 could be a factor
But 23 races is a huge season.

xcraigx

It's always a bit of a punt guessing how a team will react to new rules. I think Merc will get it right but there's always the chance another team will luck into getting it even more right. It would not surprise me once Hamilton has 8 championships and 100 wins he will look to call it a day whilst still on top.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Or head for the nice round ten.

People who are driven struggle to just quit, though.

In seriousness, they are a lot of people that just don't know when to quit and have to carry on until such point as they're made to walk away because their life revolves around it and they've nothing else to occupy them.

With Hamilton though I think he'd get quite full on with the campaigning.

Paul Anthony

First photo for Vettel at Aston Martin.

Looks like the stress of driving for Ferrari has caught up to Sebastian!

20210127_190333.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread