Follow On from Membership Thread / Kids Today! (2 Viewers)

Greggs

For the following season, ditch the membership shirts offer (we've got enough of them !!) and save the club a few quid, and put the price of season tickets up a bit more. The discount to pensioners (over 60s), although a big saving to people individually, should be less of a discount imo, as these supporters are probably the most loyal - will have followed the club forever -, but also have the most resources (better off financially - can't prove it, but strongly suspect that to be the case). The club needs more revenue, and this group (me included) are the ones who can afford it (runs for cover!)
My old man has followed the club for 60 years and throughly deserves his discounted ticket. Bizarre idea on your behalf. How about asking season ticket holders how much they earn, then charge season tickets reflecting that?!?! Bonkers

Sky Blue Harry H

My old man has followed the club for 60 years and throughly deserves his discounted ticket. Bizarre idea on your behalf. How about asking season ticket holders how much they earn, then charge season tickets reflecting that?!?! Bonkers

Agree that he (and others - me included) deserve it, but also the over 60s are probably those with the deepest pockets. I just think the club ought to find ways to tap into that - without ripping anybody off. I get that I may have clumsily formed my argument, but it's no great secret that this age group tend to have the greatest disposable income (the bank of mum and dad. grandad and grandma ).

skyblueeyesrevisited

Agree that he (and others - me included) deserve it, but also the over 60s are probably those with the deepest pockets. I just think the club ought to find ways to tap into that - without ripping anybody off. I get that I may have clumsily formed my argument, but it's no great secret that this age group tend to have the greatest disposable income (the bank of mum and dad. grandad and grandma ).
Sky blue cloth cap and matching gloves then

D

Deleted member 4439

[QU

They have - no concession on my Club Coventry💩

Old Warwickshire lad

We have more disposable income because we did without, or waited till we could afford what we wanted. That enabled us to plan for a comfortable old age.
Today’s youth could take a few lessons from that, instead of spending what they aint got.
Rant over 😂😂😂😂😂😉🍺🍷 PUSB

COV

We have more disposable income because we did without, or waited till we could afford what we wanted. That enabled us to plan for a comfortable old age.
Today’s youth could take a few lessons from that, instead of spending what they aint got.
Rant over 😂😂😂😂😂😉🍺🍷 PUSB

I don’t begrudge the older generation one iota for having more, what is tiresome is when they feel the need to make out it was all down to them being smarter or better than today’s younger people with all the “when I were a lad we lived on gruel and woodbines so we’d have more money when we got older” stories, which are errant nonsense.

Just call it like it is- the older generation do have more, and good on them- however mostly because the world wasn’t such a nasty, competitive, cutthroat place when they were younger.

CDK

Well being an old git ,I think the young people I know are smart and likeable in fact the rudest people are a lot of my age group and having got by and a bit of work as well what I've got has been earnt.it is a far more competitive world to be making your way in now and every thing is more competitive in the world of work my advice would be envy can be a healthy thing or a bad thing dependent on your outlook you can look to attain a better standard of living and elevate your self or curse your elders and people who are in a better level and don't work at improving your lot as those people were given that better standard of living and they didn't earn it.

Sky Blue Pete

Rant over 😂😂😂😂😂😉🍺🍷 PUSB
Mmmm and exponential property price growth

Liquid Gold

Correct but I know a lot of people who have a nice car which they rent and are renting a property.
I rent out property but have an old car, all about priorities.
Average cost of a first time buyer's house is £220k so if you gave up your £100 a month car then it will only take you 18 years and 4 months to save for a deposit.

Last edited:
Reactions: COV

letsallsingtogether

Average cost of a first time buyer's house is £220k so if you gave up your £100 a month car then it will only take you 18 years and 4 months to save for a deposit.
Average cost for a car is £250 and like me start off with a house that is about £150k.
I know its harder and out of reach for a lot of people, but sometimes you have to look at what you want and what you need.

Old Warwickshire lad

Mmmm and exponential property price growth
If you want to mention property, when I bought my first home, I had to sell the car and get the bus to work.
Had a whole pound left at the end of the week I could go out for a few beers on a Friday night, or watch city on Saturday. To do both was out.
Not one of the “ we ad it ard “ brigade. Jobs were easier to get and houses more affordable.
Finance was hard to get and you thought twice before you got it. Today money is thrown at you, and unfortunately a lot grab it .
Thats me lot, suns shining and this poor old git is off out. 😎🍺

shmmeee

Average cost for a car is £250 and like me start off with a house that is about £150k.
I know its harder and out of reach for a lot of people, but sometimes you have to look at what you want and what you need.

Don’t be so bloody patronising. £250 is way more than I pay for my car and £150k won’t buy you shit outside a two up two down in Foleshill. And I say that as someone that did buy that as my first house. As soon as I had kids it was far too small and frankly you raise kids in Foleshill.

The facts are there in front of you: wages have been stagnant and living costs have shot up. But feel free to explain the science behind “kids today are just bloody spoiled” if you like. 🙄🙄🙄

Liquid Gold

Is that the average? I tried to look online as to what an average was and couldn't find anything. I'd be very shocked if it was anything near £250.

The £220k I quoted as house price is on zoopla as the average cost of a first time home so I'm pretty happy that's correct. lucky you for being able to get something for £150k

Grendel

Is that the average? I tried to look online as to what an average was and couldn't find anything. I'd be very shocked if it was anything near £250.

The £220k I quoted as house price is on zoopla as the average cost of a first time home so I'm pretty happy that's correct. lucky you for being able to get something for £150k

the average house price is £220 that’s average across everything - it’s not £250 but will readjust back again

The place where I bought my first house is selling at £147 at the moment

Nick

Administrator
Far too many kids nowadays want everything here and now. They want clothes, fuck payday they will just stick it on Klarna. They want a car? Yeah whack it on finance so they can get an A Class Merc for Instagram pictures.

First time home, you can get one for £150k. Just depends how picky you want to be about it. All this shared ownership bollocks because people want to live in a fancy new build.

I have mates who had to live on a New Build Cul De Sac so paid silly money for a smaller house just because of where it was, I preferred to be comfortable so bought a shit hole and did it up.

Nick

Administrator

So much about for £150k.

Liquid Gold

the average house price is £220 that’s average across everything - it’s not £250 but will readjust back again

The place where I bought my first house is selling at £147 at the moment
The average price where I live is £335k. The £220k I quoted is the national average for a first time buyer.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you want to mention property, when I bought my first home, I had to sell the car and get the bus to work.
Had a whole pound left at the end of the week I could go out for a few beers on a Friday night, or watch city on Saturday. To do both was out.
Not one of the “ we ad it ard “ brigade. Jobs were easier to get and houses more affordable.
Finance was hard to get and you thought twice before you got it. Today money is thrown at you, and unfortunately a lot grab it .
Thats me lot, suns shining and this poor old git is off out. 😎🍺

I suspect a big difference is that previously houses were bought based on one salary rather than two as is now much more common. You can’t expect to sell a house for today’s prices if you halve what people can contribute for it.

As it goes, neither of us drive and we put basically all of our collective savings in to get somewhere for £275k. There is no way we could have afforded to save if we had children already, which is an issue affecting some of my colleagues who had children relatively young.

Grendel

I suspect a big difference is that previously houses were bought based on one salary rather than two as is now much more common. You can’t expect to sell a house for today’s prices if you halve what people can contribute for it.

As it goes, neither of us drive and we put basically all of our collective savings in to get somewhere for £275k. There is no way we could have afforded to save if we had children already, which is an issue affecting some of my colleagues who had children relatively young.

Which is fair enough but the place I bought at 28 is in today’s value £129k (I found one cheaper than £147k) and it’s in a lot better condition than mine when I bought it

Brighton Sky Blue

Which is fair enough but the place I bought at 28 is in today’s value £129k (I found one cheaper than £147k) and it’s in a lot better condition than mine when I bought it

Which proportionally is about the price I could afford for myself. But I don’t know what that would really get you around Leamington for example

Nick

Administrator
Which proportionally is about the price I could afford for myself. But I don’t know what that would really get you around Leamington for example

Which again is part of the issue?

When I bought my house, people were turning their noses up at it because it was an absolute state and hadn't been decked out by an interior designer in a pretty bad area.

So many people nowadays want everything here and now and that includes houses, it has to be in their area, it has to have this, has to have that. Oh how prices are too expensive it's not fair. Look elsewhere then, don't just whinge about it.

Grendel

But you chose to live in leamington?

Brighton Sky Blue

Which again is part of the issue?

When I bought my house, people were turning their noses up at it because it was an absolute state and hadn't been decked out by an interior designer in a pretty bad area.

So many people nowadays want everything here and now and that includes houses, it has to be in their area, it has to have this, has to have that. Oh how prices are too expensive it's not fair. Look elsewhere then, don't just whinge about it.

We had to move for the missus’ work not for the sake of a trendy pad. Whereas I can choose to drive at some point she will never be able to so we need to live close enough to her work. That and as we plan on starting a family at some point the house also needs to be big enough to accommodate that. Don’t be so quick to judge

But you chose to live in leamington?

Liquid Gold

If everybody moved to the shit areas then they'd be the good areas and it would be expensive.

There should also be a solution which means people don't have to move away from friends and family. Imagine being bought up in the docklands or east end and trying to buy there.

Nick

Administrator
If everybody moved to the shit areas then they'd be the good areas and it would be expensive.

There should also be a solution which means people don't have to move away from friends and family. Imagine being bought up in the docklands or east end and trying to buy there.

So if somebody was brought up on the Kenilworth Road but then got a job in McDonalds on 11K a year. Should they just be given a 500k house for cheap?

The solution is surely either get mummy and daddy to buy you a big house in the Docklands or buy elsewhere and upgrade as your career progresses?

There's no point saying "I want to live here" and how it's not fair.

Move to a shit area, do the house up a bit, make money on it and upgrade after a bit.

Nick

Administrator
We had to move for the missus’ work not for the sake of a trendy pad. Whereas I can choose to drive at some point she will never be able to so we need to live close enough to her work. That and as we plan on starting a family at some point the house also needs to be big enough to accommodate that. Don’t be so quick to judge

It's not judging it's just common sense though surely?

Brighton Sky Blue

It's not judging it's just common sense though surely?

For the area we got quite a good price because the house wasn't in the best shape and the sellers were divorcing. Her dad's a builder and offered to do quite a bit of work at cost, similar for painting and decorating. It's not town centre either and a 1950s build, hardly an 'I must have everything' property. Location was kind of non-negotiable so we found the best value option for the long term

Nick

Administrator
For the area we got quite a good price because the house wasn't in the best shape and the sellers were divorcing. Her dad's a builder and offered to do quite a bit of work at cost, similar for painting and decorating. It's not town centre either and a 1950s build, hardly an 'I must have everything' property. Location was kind of non-negotiable so we found the best value option for the long term

I wasn't aiming it at you, I was talking in general when people want the world but then kick off they can't afford it with no comprimise.

Users who are viewing this thread