Fitness in General (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

We started badly, had a bit of a run, went to shit again and stayed there!
I thought we'd go on another run but that hasn't materialised, why? I really don't know, injuries have played a part but I don't think that's the sole reason.
Robins has failed to make changes at times when games were crying out for them.
Missed chances, especially against Wycombe.

Another 3 or 4 pintson the board at this stage and I think everyone would bea lot more chilled.

Another good point. Had Godden been available, would he have missed all the opportunities that Max has? Half of those go in and we'd be much higher in the table. Nobody ever expected us to be anywhere much higher than 18th.

However, I also wonder if many of those opportunities would have even existed without Max. Unlike the Max-haters, my view is that he's generally pretty good in build up play. Sadly he's lacking in finishing - the one skill that would seem to be mandatory for a striker.

I still think that escape is likely if Godden stays fit. Yes, it was very disappointing yesterday but it's only one game.

Nick

Administrator
I think people should really stop expecting Godden to be the saviour. Said this weeks / months ago.

steve101

I cannot see how Godden will be able to get up to match sharpness within the next 4 or 5 games. Playing him as a lone striker when this is the case is pointless. It will help build his fitness up but at what cost? If Godden starts it must be with a strike partner surely.

rob9872

Ffs I get tired of being called an apologist for Jordan on here, but some of the criticism is so inaccurate and biased. His unseen work running up and down the passing channels is part of the reason the manager continues to select him.

Whether he's up to the level is about opinions and you can criticise as you wish, but this rubbish about him being unfit and unacceptable for a professional is so wide of the mark. His running stats were consistently up there when published, I don't have anything for this season, but he's not suddenly going from most to least.

My assumption is when he starts he's supposed to keep running knowing he's coming off so someone can run against tired legs later on, but the thought that he's is out if shape but not Allen shows the bias clearly. Neither had played for a good number of weeks.

Grendel

Ffs I get tired of being called an apologist for Jordan on here, but some of the criticism is so inaccurate and biased. His unseen work running up and down the passing channels is part of the reason the manager continues to select him.

Whether he's up to the level is about opinions and you can criticise as you wish, but this rubbish about him being unfit and unacceptable for a professional is so wide of the mark. His running stats were consistently up there when published, I don't have anything for this season, but he's not suddenly going from most to least.

My assumption is when he starts he's supposed to keep running knowing he's coming off so someone can run against tired legs later on, but the thought that he's is out if shape but not Allen shows the bias clearly. Neither had played for a good number of weeks.

I’ve been a supporter of Shipley but he clearly has fitness issues and at this level he cannot compete. Hyam and biamou are the same. Regardless of ability they haven’t the page or stamina at all in this league

Jamesimus

I’ve been a supporter of Shipley but he clearly has fitness issues and at this level he cannot compete. Hyam and biamou are the same. Regardless of ability they haven’t the page or stamina at all in this league

Yeah I think the way he gets forward, the runs he makes are often really good and he has a good shot on him.

However, he hasn't got the running ability of a lot of other players and his ball retention is often poor.

fernandopartridge

Yeah I think the way he gets forward, the runs he makes are often really good and he has a good shot on him.

However, he hasn't got the running ability of a lot of other players and his ball retention is often poor.
His biggest issue for us is that he doesn't help the team as a defensive unit either, look at the difference as soon as O’Hare came on Saturday, the pressing drags the whole team forward

Legia Sky Blue

I get the impression he has read the criticism of him on Social Media and it has got to him, completely wrecking his confidence. Even accounting for the step up to the Championship, the last few times he's played he has simply not got involved like he should do. It is noticeable how few times he actually even touched the ball, and it looks a bit like he is hiding from receiving it. When he does get the ball he looks to immediately offload it wherever he is on the pitch, and he has stopped making the forward runs he did last season. Defensively too he does a kind of 'pretend' chase without ever getting near to challenge like he should do. Its a real shame as he has contributed well for us in the previous couple of seasons and I don't believe he is as bad as he presently appears, but I don't think MR can trust in his performances right now, and I would be surprised if he gets much more playing time for the remainder of this season.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not sure how anyone can even try and defend Shipley. His gutless performances are embarrasing. Anyone with half a brain could see yesterday would be like having 10 men again. It was actually worse though, as he wasn't the only one that didn't turn up.

SBAndy

Danger, though, is that Ben Wilson admitted in his Sky Blues Extra interview that Shipley enjoys a beer - for what it’s worth, I’m not going to hold that against him but it doesn’t give the best impression. He definitely has stamina issues and I know he was trying to work specifically on this about 18-24 months ago. Sometimes it’s nature. And whilst we’re on it, distance covered doesn’t necessarily indicate the intensity for which it is covered, and without looking at data I can’t imagine he’s up there for sprints or active presses.

But yes, his confidence is clearly shot to bits. Seems scared of the ball and a lack of movement from both him and Allen yesterday meant we were penned in our half. I like the guy, thought he was brilliant last season (for the most part) but it feels like this season has been a step too far too soon.

Nick

Administrator

It's unseen for a reason.

His fitness is an issue, he is blowing out of his arse after about 10-15 minutes and then just hides.

He then does stuff that makes it look like he is in the game while he is hiding.

I honestly can't see what he offers us.

Saddlebrains

I know you like to defend players and thats fair, sometimes the abuse of players can be unwarranted or too far..

But to say what you've said, I'm sorry but you must be on another planet. There's a decent demographic of fan opinion on here, and i think you're the only person who defends Shipley. That to me says a lot. 99% of fans see he is absolutely nowhere near the level. How you're seeing these runs no one else can see either baffles me.

Not a personal attack, but im literally stunned at such a defence of a man that is been universally agreed has been possibly our worst player this season. And thats saying something.

eastwoodsdustman

I know you like to defend players and thats fair, sometimes the abuse of players can be unwarranted or too far..

But to say what you've said, I'm sorry but you must be on another planet. There's a decent demographic of fan opinion on here, and i think you're the only person who defends Shipley. That to me says a lot. 99% of fans see he is absolutely nowhere near the level. How you're seeing these runs no one else can see either baffles me.

Not a personal attack, but im literally stunned at such a defence of a man that is been universally agreed has been possibly our worst player this season. And thats saying something.
I think Dacosta has taken that title since he came in.

rob9872

Danger, though, is that Ben Wilson admitted in his Sky Blues Extra interview that Shipley enjoys a beer - for what it’s worth, I’m not going to hold that against him but it doesn’t give the best impression. He definitely has stamina issues and I know he was trying to work specifically on this about 18-24 months ago. Sometimes it’s nature. And whilst we’re on it, distance covered doesn’t necessarily indicate the intensity for which it is covered, and without looking at data I can’t imagine he’s up there for sprints or active presses.

But yes, his confidence is clearly shot to bits. Seems scared of the ball and a lack of movement from both him and Allen yesterday meant we were penned in our half. I like the guy, thought he was brilliant last season (for the most part) but it feels like this season has been a step too far too soon.
Fwiw I know it's accepted widely on here what Ben said, but it was all tongue in cheek. I've seen him out a number of times and never with a beer. Usually not drinking, but if he does he'd have a rum.

I have agreed previously he's not always stepped up to the level, but he's learning on the job. A couple of excellent performances v Millwall and Swansea, some bang average ones when he's sometimes been still made a scapegoat and a number when for whatever reason he hasn't imo simply been involved enough and that would be a fair criticism to level at him. Having said that he struggled onion L2, then in L1, but at that level it's easier to make up ground quicker. We don't have a budget to compete and you've all seen how little Tom Bayliss has been used at this level, despite for most being the more promising of the two. I'm sure if we stay up he'll be better fir it again next year. He's still young enough and still improving. Far from the finished article and I'm not ready to write him off yet, but confidence certainly an issue currently.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Fwiw I know it's accepted widely on here what Ben said, but it was all tongue in cheek. I've seen him out a number of times and never with a beer. Usually not drinking, but if he does he'd have a rum.

I have agreed previously he's not always stepped up to the level, but he's learning on the job. A couple of excellent performances v Millwall and Swansea, some bang average ones when he's sometimes been still made a scapegoat and a number when for whatever reason he hasn't imo simply been involved enough and that would be a fair criticism to level at him. Having said that he struggled onion L2, then in L1, but at that level it's easier to make up ground quicker. We don't have a budget to compete and you've all seen how little Tom Bayliss has been used at this level, despite for most being the more promising of the two. I'm sure if we stay up he'll be better fir it again next year. He's still young enough and still improving. Far from the finished article and I'm not ready to write him off yet, but confidence certainly an issue currently.

The performances against Swansea and Millwall were pretty bang average, they just look good compared to his non-existent performances for every other time he has played.

Given that you know he likes a rum rather than beer, it would seem that you probably know him. It seems he has a few friends and family on here keen to defend him. It shows he has support which is great, but he has been a disgrace this season and 99% of the fan base are pretty fed up with him.

I criticise Biamou a lot, but at least with him he does actually try and make an effort for all his faults. Shipley has been a total joke and players like him in the squad are a burden.

Users who are viewing this thread