First Cov pub you had a drink in (2 Viewers)

hill83

Do they manage to get served and into pubs and places like that?

No. I was just pointing out that kids these days are massive.
I still get asked for I.D all the time myself and I'm 34, so they'd have no chance.

Nick

Administrator
No. I was just pointing out that kids these days are massive.
I still get asked for I.D all the time myself and I'm 34, so they'd have no chance.

I haven't been asked for ID for ages :(

You would think they could get into the shitter local pubs, working mans clubs rather than going all in at the city arms or spongate.

LastGarrison

The Penny Black in town when I was about 16

Been knocked down years and not actually sure what is there nowadays.

fernandopartridge

The Penny Black in town when I was about 16

Been knocked down years and not actually sure what is there nowadays.
The building is still there mate, student digs isn't it? Think it was a HiFi shop for a while...

Funny really, think there are as many places where I've drank that are now closed down as there are open, in the space of 18 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

eastwoodsdustman

That's part of the fun, if you can't all get in to the good places you just go to some shitholes where they aren't bothered and will happily overcharge you for shit beer.

You have to try to see if you can, then give it the act that you have left your ID at home, back in the day people used to use other people's ID and get in even if they didn't really look like them.

That's what I told them all. We were always in Studio 21 at 16 as we knew we'd get in and get served.

LastGarrison

The building is still there mate, student digs isn't it? Think it was a HiFi shop for a while...

Funny really, think there are as many places where I've drank that are now closed down as there are open, in the space of 18 years.

I meant to put closed down. :bag:

Remember the HiFi shop just couldn't remember what was there now but you're right it is student digs. Should have guessed really. (Bloody students, repeat to fade).

I know what you mean but at least there is a bit of a resurgence going on at the moment with lots more opening up in town but your days of your traditional city centre pubs like The Penny Black, Alhambra etc. are long gone!

fernandopartridge

The Alhambra was a great City pub. Loved it in there pre game and after away games, (shut after home games, this was before all day opening).
That was my first town pub also aged 14 (a week after the Binley Oak).

The crackdown on pubs serving underage kids is possibly counter productive. Instead of drinking in a more controlled environment, kids easily get hold of very cheap drink from off licenses and end up drinking on the streets causing untold grief.

Grendel

I’m so old I’ve forgotten it’s name. A dodgy establishment at the front of the arcade which happily served 15 year olds with no ID

bringbackrattles

Jolly Colliers pub on Woodway Lane. Aged 15 and drank pints of mild. The landlord knew I and my mates were at Caludon Castle school, but still served us.

hill83

thistle%20city%20arcade.jpg

Grendel

The Thistle?

Ha! Yeah that’s it. Than to the place that is now some kind of strip club ironically at the time named the Climax I think?

Sky_Blue_Daz

My parents ran The hope and anchor, the climax and the codrington between the late 70s and finished in 94.

So I used to sneak the odd bottle of Holstein pils when I was 15, the first pub I went into was the Smithfield hotel, bottles of autumn gold cider was about 80p

Si80

Craftsman at 16 most Sunday evenings till the bellend of a barman questioned one of my mates who wasn’t quick enough with his false age so kicked us out.

Drank at the Standard working men’s club from a much younger age though as part of the men’s hockey team.

Sick Boy

Can't remember now but I was 13 or 14, I started shaving when I was 11 so never got asked for ID.

Grendel

Coventry cross another classic place

jimmyhillsfanclub

Can't be sure as my first pint ever was a couple years before but first pint in Coventry was almost definitely the binley oak....

clint van damme

Looking back our city centre was lively and loads of places to go. Now there's not a lot.

everyone used to moan about it but looking back it was very vibrant, (albeit a bit violent at times). I think the lack of night clubs was peoples main bug bear as finishing the night in a night club was pretty much compulsory back then but Brum was only up the road and always good for a late night.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Probably City arms at 14, ikon/diva at 14 was my first club I got into (1st day of Euro 2004 Greece beat Portugal) I drank absinthe in the afternoon for my one and only time! Memories!!
I was just one of the faces in the crowd in my year at school the 2 'popular' girls of my year were in there with some blokes, saw me told loads in my year and the following Monday for one day only I was the cool kid of the year.

clint van damme

Probably City arms at 14, ikon/diva at 14 was my first club I got into (1st day of Euro 2004 Greece beat Portugal) I drank absinthe in the afternoon for my one and only time! Memories!!
I was just one of the faces in the crowd in my year at school the 2 'popular' girls of my year were in there with some blokes, saw me told loads in my year and the following Monday for one day only I was the cool kid of the year.

you'll always be one of the cool kids to me I_S_S_S!!

clint van damme

Haha cheers mate, I've learnt life's definitely a marathon not a sprint in terms of popularity/being remembered etc....legend at 14 doesn't count for much years down the line!

You wouldn't have made it much past 14 if you'd carried on drinking absinthe - evil gear! I nearly got ran over the night we got relegated from the prem drinking that shit.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My first pint was in the Summerland Tavern in the Butts. I was about 14 or 15 and if I recall, it cost 1/11d (just under 10p!). My mate, who was the same age as me, went up to the bar and got served coz he looked a lot older than me! And just going on from this, I had my first ciggie aged 11. I'd wagged school (for the umpteenth time) and ended up spending my week's dinner money on 10 Embassy and a book of matches. (Half-a-crown piece in a fag machine on the wall outside a shop!) It must have taken me a bloody week to smoke them! I've given up now though!

Users who are viewing this thread