Film Thread 2016 (1 Viewer)

Otis

If you look at Gravity, the script is .... well pretty much there is no script, but it is absolutely dazzling to look at and really gripping too.

I think the general public on the whole just want to be entertained or thought provoked. The critics look at the whole filmatic process to boot.

I have dabbled with films myself, so I too can get excited over a shot or camera angle (such as the key scene in Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious, where the camera very slowly spirals and pans down to a close up of a key in the palm of a hand, or Sam Raimi's fast, ground level tracking shot, which was very groundbreaking).

There is obviously a great skill to filmmaking and we as viewers sometimes don't notice the little intricacies to it all.

chiefdave

Apparently they released a trailer and everyone was saying just how awful the movie looked like it was going to be, but I have seen a lot of good reviews of the actual film since.
The trailer was terrible. All reviews were embargoed until the film was released which is never a good sign.

Some of the 'professional' reviews are OK but I've yet to hear a 'regular' cinema goer have a good word to say about it.

Otis

The trailer was terrible. All reviews were embargoed until the film was released which is never a good sign.

Some of the 'professional' reviews are OK but I've yet to hear a 'regular' cinema goer have a good word to say about it.
Maybe you need to speak to the 'irregular' cinema goers then. :)

I am not sticking up for the film. I have next to no interest in it to be quite honest, but after the trailer I was totally expecting it to be really terrible.

Melissa McCarthy can be quite funny though on occasion I find. Would be the only reason I would give it a watch.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Kung fu Elliot- found it on Netflix can't work out if it's a work of genius or if the 3 guys involved are pure chancers

Otis

Mark Kermode has given it a decent review, saying it is good fun, not a classic but worth seeing, so that is good enough for me.

He's a critic I respect a lot. Don't always see eye to eye with him, but usually I concur with his conclusions. :)

Otis

Just watched Crimson Peak.

Loved it. Real old fashioned ghost story and the look and feel of it all I found quite wonderful.

Nick

Administrator
Watched Finding Dory, I am not sure they could have got it any closer to the first film if they tried? It is pretty much the same story, just with names changed.

Otis

Got very good reviews (here we go again with the can of worms?), but I did wonder where else the story could go and as soon as I heard 'Finding Dory' as that title I did think 'here we go again.'

Can't see a film called Finding Dory being anything but a rehash of the first film.

May still go and see it mind. My daughter wants to go.

Pipehitterz

Just watched Crimson Peak.

Loved it. Real old fashioned ghost story and the look and feel of it all I found quite wonderful.
man i thought it was dreadful
and where was the horror?

i nrearly fell asleep, it was blatantly obvious from the first scene when tom and his sister hit the screen, what their story was
seriously, you need to convince me.
the very first scene with her mums ghost , i thought that the film would be amazing, but then nose dived badly

looked great as a costume drama, but pants sorry

vow

The Big Short - 7.5/10 very interesting movie about how certain Investors/Bankers staked thier money on thier being a US mortgage crisis.

Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, hell even Brad Pitt was pretty good in it!

Pipehitterz

The Big Short - 7.5/10 very interesting movie about how certain Investors/Bankers staked thier money on thier being a US mortgage crisis.

Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, hell even Brad Pitt was pretty good in it!
I gave it a 9. Cannot believe steve carrell didn't even get a oscar nod for his part . He was brilliant

Otis

man i thought it was dreadful
and where was the horror?

i nrearly fell asleep, it was blatantly obvious from the first scene when tom and his sister hit the screen, what their story was
seriously, you need to convince me.
the very first scene with her mums ghost , i thought that the film would be amazing, but then nose dived badly

looked great as a costume drama, but pants sorry
I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. Guess it boils down to your own personal perception of horror.

I am more old school and I hate the Hostel's and Saw's etc.

I personally didn't want this to be too scary and too horrific. I wanted it to be the sumptuous ghost story it was and I do think the outing of the brother and sister from first off was very deliberate. Everyone could see it but the girl, who was so desperate for love and to find herself.

I loved it. Thought it was stunning beautiful, wonderfully cast and had a lovely warm fuzzy glow about it.

Old school and that really appeals to me.

Ian1779

Took the good lady wife to watch me before you
Not a bad film but our viewing pleasure was ruined by a couple that wouldn't stop talking through the whole film and a pair of Chavvy girls who never stopped eating throughout the film

Saw this film last night - thought it was a good little film on a sensitive subject matter. Not quite sure why it got criticism from some reviewers.

Also Emilia Clarke is lovely.

Sky_Blue_Daz

There's a film/documentary on Netflix called the imposter.
It's a true storey about an American teenager who goes missing. A French man assumes his identity and tells the family he's the kid and has been the victim of child trafficking ring hence his change in identity
The family accept him but
It's left open but give it a watch there's a few unanswered questions
It sounds preposterous but I suppose for the family it's part of the grieving process
The French dude has assumed identities a few times he's known by the French police as the chameleon

Nick

Administrator
There's a film/documentary on Netflix called the imposter.
It's a true storey about an American teenager who goes missing. A French man assumes his identity and tells the family he's the kid and has been the victim of child trafficking ring hence his change in identity
The family accept him but
It's left open but give it a watch there's a few unanswered questions
It sounds preposterous but I suppose for the family it's part of the grieving process
The French dude has assumed identities a few times he's known by the French police as the chameleon

Heard about that, will watch it tonight too!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Heard about that, will watch it tonight too!
I'll have a chat with you tomorrow Nick
If your interested there's a podcast with Iain Lee and the detective from the case
It's very interesting

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The Invitation - 7.5/10

The missus found it on Netflix and whilst it does require patience and is pretty slow to build up throughout, the ending alone probably gives it an extra mark.

Twisted, disturbing, and pretty thrilling!

Users who are viewing this thread