Fifty years ago today (1 Viewer)

Calista

Apparently the Beatles split up, but more importantly Wolves 0 City 1, and a place in Europe clinched!

I was there as a youngster but I only have a few dim and random memories, including it being a night game, the rickety roofline of the old Molyneux stands, and Neil Martin having to change his shorts on the pitch!

Here’s the team – Glazier, Coop, Cattlin, Gibson, Blockley, Clements, Hunt, Carr, Martin, O’Rourke, Joicey. On the face of it, that’s a hell of an attacking lineup, but I really don’t know what the formation would have been.

Coop and Cattlin were obviously the (excellent) fullbacks, and Jeff Blockley would have been at centre half. But all the others seem to be creative players or attackers – the only possible exception being Dave Clements, who I remember as a great left-footed crosser of the ball but I’m guessing he must have been playing alongside Blockley in defence? I have a recollection that Martin (such a great player) had dropped back into midfield for a while, presumably so Joicey could play centre forward.

Can any of you guys (even older than me!) shed some light on this? I think this was after the days of the traditional formation with half-backs and inside forwards, and there aren't really two wingers, so what modern numbering system would we use to describe it – 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-2-4 or something else? Here’s my best guess, it's a really talented team whatever system they played, and no wonder they got us into Europe.

(4-3-3)
Glazier
Coop, Blockley, Clements, Cattlin
Carr, Martin, Gibson
Hunt, Joicey, O’Rourke

pastythegreat

I read the thread title 50 years ago today, and instinctively sang in my head while opening the thread "Sgt. Pepper told the band to play"!
And you opened it with the beatles breaking up! This lockdown is sending me nuts

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Calista

I read the thread title 50 years ago today, and instinctively sang in my head while opening the thread "Sgt. Pepper told the band to play"!
And you opened it with the beatles breaking up! This lockdown is sending me nuts

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
No, it's giving you Super Powers!

Otis

Apparently the Beatles split up, but more importantly Wolves 0 City 1, and a place in Europe clinched!

I was there as a youngster but I only have a few dim and random memories, including it being a night game, the rickety roofline of the old Molyneux stands, and Neil Martin having to change his shorts on the pitch!

Here’s the team – Glazier, Coop, Cattlin, Gibson, Blockley, Clements, Hunt, Carr, Martin, O’Rourke, Joicey. On the face of it, that’s a hell of an attacking lineup, but I really don’t know what the formation would have been.

Coop and Cattlin were obviously the (excellent) fullbacks, and Jeff Blockley would have been at centre half. But all the others seem to be creative players or attackers – the only possible exception being Dave Clements, who I remember as a great left-footed crosser of the ball but I’m guessing he must have been playing alongside Blockley in defence? I have a recollection that Martin (such a great player) had dropped back into midfield for a while, presumably so Joicey could play centre forward.

Can any of you guys (even older than me!) shed some light on this? I think this was after the days of the traditional formation with half-backs and inside forwards, and there aren't really two wingers, so what modern numbering system would we use to describe it – 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-2-4 or something else? Here’s my best guess, it's a really talented team whatever system they played, and no wonder they got us into Europe.

(4-3-3)
Glazier
Carr, Martin, Gibson
Hunt, Joicey, O’Rourke
Clements played at left back or left wing. Definitely played many a game at left back for sure.

If Cattlin played, Clements must have been left wing, but then, who played alongside Blockley? Very odd defence that. Never remember Clements playing at centre half.

Otis

(4-3-3)
Glazier
Carr, Martin, Gibson
Hunt, Joicey, O’Rourke
O also think pretty much everything was 4-4-2 back then, so it would probably have just been O'Rourke and Martin up front. Joicey on the left. He was a striker though wasn't he. I don't remember him being very good at the time.

wingy

Clements played at left back or left wing. Definitely played many a game at left back for sure.

If Cattlin played, Clements must have been left wing, but then, who played alongside Blockley? Very odd defence that. Never remember Clements playing at centre half.
He did
A lot of the time he was half back though .

steve cooper

Clements was quite a versatile and underrated player. I also seem to remember Coop and Cattlin getting forward a lot, almost wingback style. Martin did drop to a more midfield role on odd occasions, and Carr had a spell as a striker when he scored a hattrick in his first game in that roll. I was at the game but can't remember when it was or who the opposition was. I'm surprised Gibson was in the team, he was usually injured and in the pub.

MalcSB

Clements was quite a versatile and underrated player. I also seem to remember Coop and Cattlin getting forward a lot, almost wingback style. Martin did drop to a more midfield role on odd occasions, and Carr had a spell as a striker when he scored a hattrick in his first game in that roll. I was at the game but can't remember when it was or who the opposition was. I'm surprised Gibson was in the team, he was usually injured and in the pub.
I think Carr’s hat trick was against WBA at home.

Otis

Or got injured in the pub.

Calista

Yes, I followed the same thought process as you. Assuming we weren’t three at the back, somebody has to play alongside Blockley, and of all the others Clements seems the least unlikely.

There just aren’t enough defensive players in the team, and it’s a puzzle – especially as the table shows we only conceded 20 goals (and scored 23) in 21 away games. We obviously ground out a lot of narrow wins away from home, yet the team looks anything but tight. Sounds like Gibbo was often tight though!

SkyBlueSid

I'm sure Dave Clements did play in central defence in this game. As has been stated, he was extremely versatile and played pretty much everywhere except goalkeeper during his years at City. He was indeed underrated as his versatility meant he often didn't make any position his own.

I was at the game too, and looking at the records it seems that the week before City had lost 3-0 at home to Stoke with Bruck in central defence. Coop had also been tried there, with Bruck at right back. Clements hadn't played for a few weeks until returning at Forest in a 4-1 win, playing in central defence for those last 3 games. The last one was a 4-0 defeat at Newcastle when we fielded a much changed team with Europe already clinched.

The following season Clements was a regular in the team, mostly at No 11 but with quite a few filling in at No 3. I have vivid memories of him charging down the left flank with defenders seemingly bouncing off his barrel chest.

steve cooper

I remember one game where Clements played on the wing, he had his shirt almost completely ripped off his back by a defender. He played the rest of the game like that with his shirt trailing behind him like some super hero's cape.

Magwitch

Dave Clements another great player from the JH era sold in his prime, became a regular at Everton too and captained Northern Ireland, for some reason Noel Cantwell broke up the promotion team selling Gould, Tudor, Rees, Clements, Machin, Lewis, Gibson, too early and not replacing them with better players.

Otis

Dave Clements another great player from the JH era sold in his prime, became a regular at Everton too and captained Northern Ireland, for some reason Noel Cantwell broke up the promotion team selling Gould, Tudor, Rees, Clements, Machin, Lewis, Gibson, too early and not replacing them with better players.
Who did we replace them with, out of interest?

Grendel

Who did we replace them with, out of interest?

We finished 6th under Cantwell the highest position in our history

Calista

I'm sure Dave Clements did play in central defence in this game. As has been stated, he was extremely versatile and played pretty much everywhere except goalkeeper during his years at City. He was indeed underrated as his versatility meant he often didn't make any position his own.

I was at the game too, and looking at the records it seems that the week before City had lost 3-0 at home to Stoke with Bruck in central defence. Coop had also been tried there, with Bruck at right back. Clements hadn't played for a few weeks until returning at Forest in a 4-1 win, playing in central defence for those last 3 games. The last one was a 4-0 defeat at Newcastle when we fielded a much changed team with Europe already clinched.

The following season Clements was a regular in the team, mostly at No 11 but with quite a few filling in at No 3. I have vivid memories of him charging down the left flank with defenders seemingly bouncing off his barrel chest.
Thanks for that info Sid, glad my guess was correct! Can't believe it's half a century ago.

Do you know how the rest of the team lined up? I’m pretty sure we didn’t play with wingers.

My main memories of Dave Clements are the superb corners he took – putting them straight onto the head of Neil Martin (or for a while Tony Hateley) as he ran in from the edge of the area. So many goals came that way, or does my memory deceive me? Winning a corner was a big deal then - it felt like a real chance to score. Not like recent years, where it seems like we need 25 corners to even get an effort on target.

Johhny Blue

Thanks for that info Sid, glad my guess was correct! Can't believe it's half a century ago.

Do you know how the rest of the team lined up? I’m pretty sure we didn’t play with wingers.

My main memories of Dave Clements are the superb corners he took – putting them straight onto the head of Neil Martin (or for a while Tony Hateley) as he ran in from the edge of the area. So many goals came that way, or does my memory deceive me? Winning a corner was a big deal then - it felt like a real chance to score. Not like recent years, where it seems like we need 25 corners to even get an effort on target.
Big George benefitted from some of those corners as well

steve cooper

Some decent players in there. Holmes was pretty good, Parker was very decent too and I liked Alan Green a lot. 30 goals in 98 for us.
Yes, Holmes went on to play for Tottenham and Mortimer captained Villa to the European cup final in 1982. Even then our youth setup was producing top stars.

Sky Blue Harry H

I was at that as an 11 year old. Think it might have been my first away match.Remember a raucous atmosphere and seeing a car window smashed in outside the ground, and us winning. Apart from that - very little else! My dad took me - he was a Wolves fan, although I never really clocked that for a few years (as he only ever took me to City games) Forever thankful, dad!

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

My take on the team that day would have been Coop and Catlin either side of Blockley and Clements in a back 4 Gibbo Carr, Martin and Hunt midfield and O'Rouke and Joicey up front.Three days before we beat Forest 4-1 away with O'Rouke getting a hatrick and Joicey the other.Something I seem to remember from that time was how well Neill Martin played on frozen pitches ( we played many a game on pitches we would not play on today), he used to dance around the center halfs

Calista

My take on the team that day would have been Coop and Catlin either side of Blockley and Clements in a back 4 Gibbo Carr, Martin and Hunt midfield and O'Rouke and Joicey up front.Three days before we beat Forest 4-1 away with O'Rouke getting a hatrick and Joicey the other.Something I seem to remember from that time was how well Neill Martin played on frozen pitches ( we played many a game on pitches we would not play on today), he used to dance around the center halfs
Sounds about right to me, I'd overlooked the idea of Ernie being in midfield.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
50 years ago today? Bloody hell, I'd have been coming up to 17! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread