Fifa officials arrested (2 Viewers)

Sick Boy

IGMetall ( massive Trade Union )has joined forces with Amnesty Internatiol for the first time in Germany. Cannot see Germany in Qatar - unless there are drastic changes in Qatar. German TV exposing working conditions in Qatar. Blatter and co have stolen international football rights and sold them on. Putin will have to tone down his war as well...if he wants Germany there..

It would actually be refreshing to see no European countries competing in tournament as a protest. The whole thing is a farce and once again it comes down to older wealthy men taking care of their self-interests.

The deaths in Qatar are shocking and the way in which they are brushed under the carpet says it all. Still, as long as some of the Fifa lot got paid who gives a fuck about migrants lured into a country and basically being kept as slaves.

Terry Gibson's perm

It would actually be refreshing to see no European countries competing in tournament as a protest. The whole thing is a farce and once again it comes down to older wealthy men taking care of their self-interests.

The deaths in Qatar are shocking and the way in which they are brushed under the carpet says it all. Still, as long as some of the Fifa lot got paid who gives a fuck about migrants lured into a country and basically being kept as slaves.

The only people who can put an end to this farce are the sponsors just imagine pressure that Budweiser would put on FIFA if everybody started to boycott their drink, it looks like Visa are already starting to get more twitchy than the rest.

martcov

The only people who can put an end to this farce are the sponsors just imagine pressure that Budweiser would put on FIFA if everybody started to boycott their drink, it looks like Visa are already starting to get more twitchy than the rest.

Problem being penalty clauses if they break their contracts....we though, cannot sit back and enjoy a world cup in stadiums built by slaves - in part paid for by human lives - whilst the toad and his family and friends live in luxury..

Terry Gibson's perm

I agree we can't people's lives are more important, I would imagine a product boycott of the sponsors would cause some of them problems quite quickly and they will soon put pressure on Blatter to go, I have just read that David Gill will not take up his seat as a FIFA vp under Blatter what a man of honour and the perfect candidate from UEFA to go against Blatter.

Ian1779

If one of the major sponsors pulls the plug.. the rest will follow. It depends who's got the minerals to go first.

Terry Gibson's perm

If one of the major sponsors pulls the plug.. the rest will follow. It depends who's got the minerals to go first.

If anyone goes it will be Visa but no doubt another company will step in and take their place maybe a company from Russia or Qatar!

Covstu

UEFA need to make the first stand on this when Blatter gets re-elected today. We are the powerhouse of football and can highlight that we wont stand for this mess, my only concern is whether Platini will do this?

A world cup without Europe (as arragant as i sounds) is no world cup.

Paxman II

It's a house of cards waiting to collapse. The most surreal thing is that Blatter himself continues to believe he is right to remain in office when all this corruption has gone on in the organisation he heads. Any other person holding such public office would be forced to resign but here we have the 'bribery' of the Asia and African continents giving backing even though they too must surely understand the difference between right and wrong. Blatter is the most brazen character I can ever recall.

I think it's high time we took back football, brought it home to England and form a new confederation. FIFA should be finished. To do that a boycott by some of the best footballing nations on the planet (Germany, England, Brazil, Holland etc) and an alternative tournament offered would see that house of cards fall for good.

Johnnythespider

Listening to Blatter absolve himself of any responsibility is truly sickening, he is an old man but one who deserves a smack in the chops for every worker who has died constructing stadiums in Qatar.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
apparently......

German newspaper Das Zeit have filed a story "Why Sepp Blatter deserves our support" on its website. It's completely blank, except for an invitation to click through to a second page of "Even more reasons to support Blatter". That's blank as well.

The first comment at the bottom of the page complains: "There's nothing, all blank" :facepalm:

hard to think of any reasons why he should keep his position

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Questions ....... on what grounds were FIFA (the body that governs above all the professional game) allowed to be a Charity? and to use that status to avoid paying tax?

Monners

fifa-memes_10.jpg

My look into buying this

martcov

Questions ....... on what grounds were FIFA (the body that governs above all the professional game) allowed to be a Charity? and to use that status to avoid paying tax?

I thought it is registered as a "Verein". That means a "Club" e.g. Rabbit Breeders Club - not a charity. It means that they do not have to provide the transparency the a PLC or Ltd company does. They have no shareholders to answer to and Blatter doesn't have to disclose his salary. The rules are designed for small non-profit making clubs such as e.g. "Rabbit Breeders Club". It is unbelievable that no-one has insisted FIFA becoming a PLC - especially the tax authorities. For years FIFA has had dealings with letter box companies and pushed money all over the world. England ( I think Boris ) said that to get the World Cup the government would have had to forgo the normal checks on large international money transfers going to FIFA. I think in retrospect, England is better off long term by not having got the World Cup in the Blatter era. We are clean and in a position to get things done properly in the future. Any future tender must include such things as a minimum wage and maximum working hours on construction sites and all international money transfers must be subject to government scrutiny to prevent tax evasion.

skybluetony176

Well he's back in then. I hope UEFA is strong enough to withdraw it's members from the world cup unless something changes. It's the only way anything is going to change. We could have a 2nd European cup instead. FIFA would loose a shed load in sponsorship too of the back of that decision and that would be enough to force change.

Johnnythespider

Well he's back in then. I hope UEFA is strong enough to withdraw it's members from the world cup unless something changes. It's the only way anything is going to change. We could have a 2nd European cup instead. FIFA would loose a shed load in sponsorship too of the back of that decision and that would be enough to force change.
The Germans as reigning champions might be reluctant to boycott, they would surely want to defend their title, although a world cup without them would be a complete embarrassment to Fifa.

J

Jack Griffin

This FBI/IRS investigation will take some time. Eventually Blatter will be charged.

As for the future I can see Qatar losing the 2022 World Cup, but Russia will stage 2018.

However it isn't as if countries haven't boycotted a major sports event in Russia before... remember the 1980 Olympics..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Summer_Olympics_boycott

skybluetony176

The Germans as reigning champions might be reluctant to boycott, they would surely want to defend their title, although a world cup without them would be a complete embarrassment to Fifa.

True enough. I can't see UEFA doing it myself. They've hinted at doing it but I suspect it was a bluff on the run up to the election.

Monners

can't see how this can just go aaway as Blatter hopes. He is either complicit of incompetant - so his postion is untendbale. It neds the major leagues in Europe (whre the big sponsorship money lies) to put pressure on UEFA to force the issue. It is difficult for Platini though as he has to make sure he doesn't be seen to deliberately ostracise Russia by puing out of the next World Cup.

It will crash around Blatter's ears at some stage soon though - or else the world has lost the plot and I will wring my hands in depair

henry the wasp

It's a house of cards waiting to collapse. The most surreal thing is that Blatter himself continues to believe he is right to remain in office when all this corruption has gone on in the organisation he heads. Any other person holding such public office would be forced to resign but here we have the 'bribery' of the Asia and African continents giving backing even though they too must surely understand the difference between right and wrong. Blatter is the most brazen character I can ever recall.

I think it's high time we took back football, brought it home to England and form a new confederation. FIFA should be finished. To do that a boycott by some of the best footballing nations on the planet (Germany, England, Brazil, Holland etc) and an alternative tournament offered would see that house of cards fall for good.

See, your last paragraph is why England and the F.A are despised the world over in football circles. You mention England as one of the best footballing nations on the planet. They aren't. Plenty of other teams you could have mentioned, Italy or Argentina for example.
It's the sense of entitlement from the English and europe that keeps the African nations voting for blatter.

skybluetony176

See, your last paragraph is why England and the F.A are despised the world over in football circles. You mention England as one of the best footballing nations on the planet. They aren't. Plenty of other teams you could have mentioned, Italy or Argentina for example.
It's the sense of entitlement from the English and europe that keeps the African nations voting for blatter.

Ha ha. You really are naive if you believe that's the reason the Africans keep voting for Blatter. I was reading somewhere (can't remember where now) before the arrests were made about the amount of money going from FIFA during Blatters time to African FA's for football development at grass roots and how much of that money actually reaches grass roots. It wasn't a very large percentage.

henry the wasp

Ha ha. You really are naive if you believe that's the reason the Africans keep voting for Blatter. I was reading somewhere (can't remember where now) before the arrests were made about the amount of money going from FIFA during Blatters time to African FA's for football development at grass roots and how much of that money actually reaches grass roots. It wasn't a very large percentage.

Naïve? no. I just understand how it works.
On this thread you said the swiss wouldn't raid fifa hq any time soon. You do know you said that a day after they had raided it, don't you.
As for Africa, it has nothing to do with the amount of money going to grass roots.

skybluetony176

Naïve? no. I just understand how it works.
On this thread you said the swiss wouldn't raid fifa hq any time soon. You do know you said that a day after they had raided it, don't you.
As for Africa, it has nothing to do with the amount of money going to grass roots.

When did I say the Swiss wouldn't raid FIFA HQ? You are right though when you say it's nothing to do with the amount of money going into grass routes. It's probably more to do with the amount of money not going into grass routes. Allegedly. Might have been on the BBC web site I was reading it on. I'll have a look when I'm on a PC.

henry the wasp

When did I say the Swiss wouldn't raid FIFA HQ? You are right though when you say it's nothing to do with the amount of money going into grass routes. It's probably more to do with the amount of money not going into grass routes. Allegedly. Might have been on the BBC web site I was reading it on. I'll have a look when I'm on a PC.

Post number 33

Covstu

I think the money is hitting these countries and to the people who make the votes so he has played a blinder gaining lots of smaller countries who have the same one vote.

Paxman II

I said 'etc'. You want me to name all the great footballing nations? I'm not talking about England's playing record silly but the fact they are a great footballing nation and the home of football and tbf a major powerhouse. Not to realise this means you must still be in your teens or you base your assumption purely on the team and not such things as support etc. See I used that abbreviation again...

henry the wasp

You think holland have more support than argentina?
if we are talking popular the surely nigeria have more support than england. Why can't we base the new fifa there.

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

You think holland have more support than argentina?
if we are talking popular the surely nigeria have more support than england. Why can't we base the new fifa there.
Holland has a population of 17,000,000 whilst Argentina's is 41,000,000 I think that makes this a loaded question
Also, can you tell me why the world cup has never been held in Holland, a country with the second oldest F.A.

Last edited:

henry the wasp

You don't say.
so its not about support or what each team has won. It's about england being the home of football. Therefore a sense of entitlement.
I have no idea why holland have never hosted a world cup. Surely they are more entitled to host it than england in 2018 if russia don't.

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

You don't say.
so its not about support or what each team has won. It's about england being the home of football. Therefore a sense of entitlement.
For me it's about heritage nothing to do with entitlement. Qatar has no football heritage and was a decision that focused attention on the workings of fifa, a decision that I believe will be seen as a massive own goal by an organisation without true leadership.

henry the wasp

For me it's about heritage nothing to do with entitlement. Qatar has no football heritage and was a decision that focused attention on the workings of fifa, a decision that I believe will be seen as a massive own goal by an organisation without true leadership.

I do not disagree. I have already pointed out that blatter didn't vote for qatar. The majority of Uefa did. Who did our representatives vote for? To say england should take over the running of a new organisation is madness. Look how we have allowed the premier league and the G14 to take over football Here.

Johnnythespider

I do not disagree. I have already pointed out that blatter didn't vote for qatar. The majority of Uefa did. Who did our representatives vote for? To say england should take over the running of a new organisation is madness. Look how we have allowed the premier league and the G14 to take over football Here.
I agree with this, England should not be at the head of some new body, it would look like a case of it's my ball and I'm going home. I do however believe that heritage is very important and that is why Qatar is such a poor decision, spread the game by all means but the right to host a world cup should be earned not bought, this is why Blatter should have been removed, a strong leader would have stopped this but I suspect he is actually too thick to see how he has been played by the very people who give him power

Users who are viewing this thread