Fifa officials arrested (3 Viewers)

Tad

Fifa officials arrested by FBI http://t.co/FC3WrIAl81

Someone finally had the balls to stand up to them.

Terry Gibson's perm

What a shock Blatter not involved, if any of these have votes on Friday be interested to see which side they are on if on Blatters the vote gets postponed, Prince Ali the vote goes ahead.

i do hope the FBI are closing in on The evil Blatter it is time for a change.

Tad

On twitter: FIFA Vice President Jeffrey Webb - the man many saw as Blatter's preferred successor - one of those arrested in dawn-raid in Zurich

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
So, they're suspected of taking bribes eh? I'd be just as interested as to who is PAYING them bribes and what for? :thinking about:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
"FBI agents arrest 6 FIFA officials on allegations of bribery & corruption."

In a press conference later, the head of the FBI in charge of the case said that it had all been a silly misunderstanding and all charges have been dropped, as he drove away in his brand new Bugatti Veyron.

Sky Blue Kid

A massive coincidence with the "Vote" taking place on Friday. If I were a gambling man, I'd say Blatter isn't one of those being targeted.

LB87ccfc

Blatter has bribed someone to have them arrested and taken out the equation, its about time someone looked into his handlings and dealings.

chiefdave

They've just been showing a press conference with one of the US attorneys. "Blatter has not been charged or arrested, yet"

I hope there's a reason he added that yet at the end.

Terry Gibson's perm

Blatter is a horrible little creature i would pay his air fare to the U.S. Just to see him get what he deserves, the vote should be postponed but at the same time a temporary head of Fifa put in. At this rate the only way Blatter will leave is in a box.

SkyblueBazza

Corruption in football? Don't make me laugh. It's the same as everything else...the simple task of kicking the ball into the net is not corrupt & is done in relatively good faith. The "doers" are pretty sound. Its hierarchy that is corrupt. Most of them wouldn't have a clue what a football looks like.

PUSB

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Corruption in football? Don't make me laugh. It's the same as everything else...the simple task of kicking the ball into the net is not corrupt & is done in relatively good faith. The "doers" are pretty sound. Its hierarchy that is corrupt. Most of them wouldn't have a clue what a football looks like.

PUSB

How dare you talk about Joy like that?

J

Jack Griffin

They've just been showing a press conference with one of the US attorneys. "Blatter has not been charged or arrested, yet"

I hope there's a reason he added that yet at the end.

Maybe one of the guys they have arrested will split on him. Fingers crossed.

Albo

Oh how the Americans would love to take away the next World Cup from Russia. It would be enough to make Putin tear off his shirt in rage. Perhaps there's something to be said for them keeping it.

RedSalmon

The next few years in world football could be very interesting. This could just be the begining if the end for FIFA in its present form.

Be very interesting to see where the power lies when all the dust settles, but I strongly suspect that when it does North America will be the new administrative power in world football. I don't think they are going to these lengths just to clean up 'soccer'.

Otis

If Blatter gets away scott free from this , then he must be very, very greased up.

Gint11

My first thought was so glad this will mean blatter will resign but got a feeling he will ride this out too somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

My first thought was so glad this will mean blatter will resign but got a feeling he will ride this out too somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blatter cannot resign as it is much easier for him to keep his dirty dealings hidden while he is there.

His statement sums it up really, it;s not a difficult time for football or the fans it is difficult for you Blatter and your cronies at Fifa.

martcov

A massive coincidence with the "Vote" taking place on Friday. If I were a gambling man, I'd say Blatter isn't one of those being targeted.

No coincidence. Most of the people they want are all in one place - because of the vote. The Swiss police have also raided FIFA and are investigating "unknown" suspects about 2018 and 2022. They now have the computers, emails and digital files. Blatter must know what is going on - the finger has been pointed at him time and time again ( read FIFA Mafia ). He won't stand down, because if he did it would all come out - he wants to die in office, then it doesn't matter any more. A different story now though. The yanks will do some plea deals and we may yet see Blatter getting his just deserts. Hope so. The money that has been siphoned off, by whichever FIFA gangsters, should have been used for the benefit of football - including us fans.

tisza

What is even more disconcerting that this just deals with a part of FIFA. The FBI investigation doesn't really touch the Asian, European or African organizations as money involving tem probably wouldn't have gone through the US.
If you make an assumption that similar patterns were happening in these other organizations then the scale of the corruption really is mind-blowing.

Astute

What is even more disconcerting that this just deals with a part of FIFA. The FBI investigation doesn't really touch the Asian, European or African organizations as money involving tem probably wouldn't have gone through the US.
If you make an assumption that similar patterns were happening in these other organizations then the scale of the corruption really is mind-blowing.

They needed it to concern the US in some way to be able to bring action. But once the action started they can follow all lines of information and link them together. It looks like they had someone on the inside who had a hidden wire on him recording what they were saying. They will be able to check the bank accounts as money went through US banks. They will be able to check sponsorship as this is where the US was involved. It is going to get very interesting.

I bet they wished that they gave the USA the world cup in 2022 now :D

Terry Gibson's perm

If it meant that Blatter was removed I would even be happy for the next two world cups to stop where they are but I fear that he will still be in place at the end of all this as he is keeping some of the smaller federations going and some of the African can ones can't even see that there is a problem. Let's hope we see a lot of assets being snatched back from these criminals.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Usually when scandal hits the head of the organisation falls on his sword, I do not see Blatter doing that. He is a very skilled politician and manipulator who currently has a great deal of support in many of the other football groupings.

That said how can they possibly have a vote on the presidency in these circumstances? The credibility of FIFA needs rebuilding and such an election is important to that but only after the a thorough vetting of the candidates.

The biggest pressure will I feel come not from other federations but from the sponsors - as they say money talks. If the likes of VISA, Budweiser, Coca- Cola pull out the future of FIFA looks bleak

Obviously the FIFA line is that a line is being drawn and past scandals are being dealt with, that FIFA is not the organisation it was and this huge mess is nothing to do with Teflon Blatter. If you take it that Blatter is not involved surely that makes him next to useless in guiding footballs governing body, a buffoon? For all this to be going on and the organisation he controls in strategy and operation not to have at least safeguards against it, for the collective leaders including Blatter not to be aware of it stretches belief.

If Blatter was not aware of the scandal, and lets be honest there have been many challenges, documentaries, programmes etc that should have put him on his guard years ago, then you would have to conclude he and his stewardship is not fit for purpose. Not even close.

I do not see that the FBI will let go of this, they will see it through to the bitter end.

Good summary here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32909649

Just an aside two things that grated yesterday. (1) De Gregorio saying how it was in fact good news for FIFA and (2) the US prosecutor referring to it as "soccer"

Final thought is this kind of behaviour endemic in football - is FIFA the only body like this or is this how football operates through out its pyramid of power?

Last edited:

chiefdave

If Blatter was not aware of the scandal, and lets be honest there have been many challenges, documentaries, programmes etc that should have put him on his guard years ago, then you would have to conclude he and his stewardship is not fit for purpose. Not even close.

Even Blatter can't play the 'I wasn't aware' card on this one can he? As you say the number of times accusations have been levelled at FIFA that are right in line with what has happened should make that impossible. The FBI haven't done something this high profile to just let it be swept under the carpet in a couple of weeks.

There's a couple of things that could bring the whole house of cards down. If the sponsors get twitchy and threaten to leave unless a serious change is made or if someone such as UEFA makes a stand. If UEFA and FIFA have a stand off what can FIFA do, go ahead with a World Cup without England, Italy, France, Spain, Germany etc?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think Blatter will try to spin it that he became increasingly aware, had talks with authorities and instigated the ball moving against corruption at FIFA. You could hear that course in the De Gregorio interview yesterday.

I think the sponsors carry more power than the federations involved and that's the biggest pressure point. Money is power in football. If UEFA stick together (by no means certain eg Russia not happy with US law enforcement for example) then that is one block of pressure but Blatter is very popular in the African federation for example. Could it lead to a split and two world organisations?

This all being exposed and dealt with is long overdue

martcov

I think Blatter will try to spin it that he became increasingly aware, had talks with authorities and instigated the ball moving against corruption at FIFA. You could hear that course in the De Gregorio interview yesterday.

I think the sponsors carry more power than the federations involved and that's the biggest pressure point. Money is power in football. If UEFA stick together (by no means certain eg Russia not happy with US law enforcement for example) then that is one block of pressure but Blatter is very popular in the African federation for example. Could it lead to a split and two world organisations?

This all being exposed and dealt with is long overdue

What is long overdue is a meaningful statement from FIFA saying that the World Cup will never be held in a country that is involved in aggression against it's neighbours or where de facto slave labour or similar is used to construct hotels and venues for the event. Football is basically a game which everyone can afford to play at grassroots level - including the so called working class. The workers involved in construction should have a guaranteed minimum wage - and there should be controls to ensure this. As there should be for safety. This should be in all FIFA contracts instead of "tax exemption" clauses and the like. These workers are our colleagues and are helping create entertainment for us.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm just awaiting confirmation that Fifa were responsible for the removal of all self-belief, courage, commitment & goals at CCFC for the last 6 games of 2001-02...........Its surely the only logical reason....

Sick Boy

The next few years in world football could be very interesting. This could just be the begining if the end for FIFA in its present form.

Be very interesting to see where the power lies when all the dust settles, but I strongly suspect that when it does North America will be the new administrative power in world football. I don't think they are going to these lengths just to clean up 'soccer'.

Not sure which I'd prefer actually. If the Americans end up with all the power then it's the end as know it I guess.

lewys33

Obviously the FIFA line is that a line is being drawn and past scandals are being dealt with, that FIFA is not the organisation it was and this huge mess is nothing to do with Teflon Blatter. If you take it that Blatter is not involved surely that makes him next to useless in guiding footballs governing body, a buffoon? For all this to be going on and the organisation he controls in strategy and operation not to have at least safeguards against it, for the collective leaders including Blatter not to be aware of it stretches belief.

Exactly this. Although we all know there is no need for any "if" there. Reminds me a bit of the Ed Balls - Baby P issue.

Johnnythespider

They needed it to concern the US in some way to be able to bring action. But once the action started they can follow all lines of information and link them together. It looks like they had someone on the inside who had a hidden wire on him recording what they were saying. They will be able to check the bank accounts as money went through US banks. They will be able to check sponsorship as this is where the US was involved. It is going to get very interesting.

I bet they wished that they gave the USA the world cup in 2022 now :D
The guy on the inside was the U.S representative at Fifa, he had come clean about his own corruption and spying on others was part of his deal with the FBI. He apparently had a paid for luxury apartment in the trump tower in New York just for his cats, how can anyone have any trust in any competition run by Fifa, how many dodgy results and refereeing decisions will be looked at as the result of greased palms while these shysters are in control. Blatter has to go at the very least, but I suspect he will be voted back into office tomorrow and tough it out, the only way he will go is if he is linked directly to these investigations or he dies.

skybluetony176

Listening to a guy on radio 2 today and apparently a law was passed in the USA whereby any criminal activity with the USD is considered of interest to the USA as it's their dollar regardless. So if a bribe was received and payed out in USD it doesn't matter where the payment was made from and to where its of interest to the FBI, the money doesn't have to pass through the US. The same guy also said and I quote "the FBI don't have a sense of humour on this". He also said that each offence carries a 20year prison sentence. So each time a transaction is made it's a new offence and another 20years on top. He then went on to say that if the claims can be substantiated the defendant's would enter a plea bargain and he'd expect everything to come out as part of that.

Just to add. The other thing the guy said was that the action being taken by the FBI would force other countries to act so expect more arrests, investigations etc. from other parts of the world. He did point out though that the last place it will happen is in Switzerland as although they have laws covering bribery, money laundering etc. they won't take action on a Swiss based organisation. Mmmm :thinking about: So don't go expecting the Swiss police to raid FIFA HQ anytime soon because it ain't going to happen ever, regardless of what the FBI find by the sounds of it.

Last edited:

martcov

Exactly, 4000 deaths to a country that is knee deep in cash and has little or no interest in football. So wrong

IGMetall ( massive Trade Union )has joined forces with Amnesty Internatiol for the first time in Germany. Cannot see Germany in Qatar - unless there are drastic changes in Qatar. German TV exposing working conditions in Qatar. Blatter and co have stolen international football rights and sold them on. Putin will have to tone down his war as well...if he wants Germany there..

Users who are viewing this thread