Fickle Sky Blue supporters (2 Viewers)

Gazolba

I keep hearing how great our away support is and although we get a good following on the road I feel until we start getting a decent crowd at every home match,and I mean in the twenties,we can't seriously say we are a well supported club.The Gillingham game was great but followed by a poor Yeovil attendance so how on earth can we survive at the Ricoh on 11,000 crowds ? Come on now you either are a Coventry supporter or not !

Do you really expect a mediocre League One side (3rd Division) to get crowds over 20,000? It will NEVER happen. Even back in the glory days of Highfield Road when we were slaughtering opponents every week home and away, we only drew crowds of around 22,000. In those days it was really cheap to see a game, nothing like the cost now, even allowing for inflation. The fact is we don't have a single player that anyone is going to get excited about and opposition teams like Yeovil and Scunthorpe are hardly a big draw. I think we should be very satisfied with crowds of 10,000-15,000.

logjoe

I keep hearing how great our away support is and although we get a good following on the road I feel until we start getting a decent crowd at every home match,and I mean in the twenties,we can't seriously say we are a well supported club.The Gillingham game was great but followed by a poor Yeovil attendance so how on earth can we survive at the Ricoh on 11,000 crowds ? Come on now you either are a Coventry supporter or not !

Sorry you need to make this point after this weeks preston game because hopefully the ticket issues will have been resolved and we won't have the queues that we had at the Gallagher and the Ricoh. What i saw was a lot of people walking away from both. You have got to remember theyhave had the tickets on sale now for two weeks so we should see or gauge the true figures.

bigfatronssba

What happened to the principle of "its an individuals right if they wish to attend or not"?

We had 13 months of 1500 fans attending Sixfields which was contrary to what was good for the club. That was their right we were told, they should not be criticised for going it was said.

So do we still believe in that? Or does it now suit certain people to abandon what they have been proclaiming for the last year?

bigfatronssba

No they didn't have 30k in league one, but they did have 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)[/QUOTE]

They also used to get some pitiful Premier League crowds. Far lower than what we would get in many cases.

Noggin

11,000 crowds don't show we are fickle, 11,000 crowds show we are fucking wonderful. Lets get this straight with the shit sisu have put us through over the last couple of years 11,000 crowds are an excellent result. are 11k crowds good enough no of course not, but that isn't the fans fault.

torchomatic

Seems to work both ways.

So do we still believe in that? Or does it now suit certain people to abandon what they have been proclaiming for the last year?

bringbackrattles

11,000 crowds don't show we are fickle, 11,000 crowds show we are fucking wonderful. Lets get this straight with the shit sisu have put us through over the last couple of years 11,000 crowds are an excellent result. are 11k crowds good enough no of course not, but that isn't the fans fault.
We should be getting more than 11,000 at the Ricoh.We marched and protested to get back home but if the ground isn't even half full what was the point ?

LB87ccfc

30,000 Leicester fans so it can be done. I'm just getting pissed off talking to City fans who can afford to go to away games,but not to the Ricoh. I love away days too but we NEED to start filling our home ground !

30,000 when in the premier league vs Manu at home... not once did they get 30,000 at the top of the championship last season, and they still have tickets available the day before Arsenal and UTD... Enough said about them.

Football is an entertainment business at the end of the day, and its what you put on the pitch what generates the interest, if we pumped money in on the playing squad and had a wiff of success, the fans would come back.

stupot07

30,000 when in the premier league vs Manu at home... not once did they get 30,000 at the top of the championship last season, and they still have tickets available the day before Arsenal and UTD... Enough said about them.

Football is an entertainment business at the end of the day, and its what you put on the pitch what generates the interest, if we pumped money in on the playing squad and had a wiff of success, the fans would come back.

They got 30k+ twice in the championship last season

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27167657

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24782849

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Evo1883

I dont think supporters that go away should be thrown into an argument regarding home support . The most loyal of coventrys support being tarred with the fickle is silly .
lets just worry about home attendances as in all fairness it goes hand in hand ...we get 25k at home regular , then we will likely get 2000 away regular instead of 800-1500

Malaka

I don't do away games unless it is a cup game when City get a share of the gate. I can not bear giving money to other clubs

fernandopartridge

No they didn't have 30k in league one, but they did have 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Correct but how long were they in the third division and did they play 35 miles away from their city for one season?[/QUOTE]
We had 10k for our first season down. Our support is poor and befits a 3rd tier team.

There are plenty of Cov fans living locally who won't attend the Ricoh until SISU are gone. That's how toxic SISU has been.

I'm reluctant to attend the Ricoh because I don't want to put money in the hands of our current owners after what has occurred. I also live in the North West so it's a bit different for me re attending home games, but the three blokes that I used to go to home games with for decades - and who live in Cov - also fall into this category. They are lifelong Cov fans but now only attend away games when they can.

When the club gets a fresh start with new, hopefully decent (or at least better) owners that are actually interested in investing in footballing success and have the best interests of the club at heart, I think a lot more fans will return to home games.

Otis

There are plenty of Cov fans living locally who won't attend the Ricoh until SISU are gone. That's how toxic SISU has been.

I'm reluctant to attend the Ricoh because I don't want to put money in the hands of our current owners after what has occurred. I also live in the North West so it's a bit different for me re attending home games, but the three blokes that I used to go to home games with for decades - and who live in Cov - also fall into this category. They are lifelong Cov fans but now only attend away games when they can.

When the club gets a fresh start with new, hopefully decent (or at least better) owners that are actually interested in investing in footballing success and have the best interests of the club at heart, I think a lot more fans will return to home games.

By the same token, it will be interesting to see how many fans currently not going because Sisu are in charge, would actually go if we started being really successful (play off match at home this season, or a win to seal promotion etc.).

That's not aimed at you at all, but I'm sure there will be quite a few whose ethical stance will evaporate as soon as we have any suchess to a meaningful extent.

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Unless Sisu are incredibly thick (not unrealistic, but hopefully on this occasion not) then they will have budgeted for an average attendance of 2k this season.

The club will be in a great financial position if come the end of the season the average is over 11k.

bigfatronssba

We should be getting more than 11,000 at the Ricoh.We marched and protested to get back home but if the ground isn't even half full what was the point ?

Why?

Try and answer that without making reference to what other clubs got please. None of them were in a situation the same as ours so what Leicester or Leeds got is irrelevant.

stupot07

Unless Sisu are incredibly thick (not unrealistic, but hopefully on this occasion not) then they will have budgeted for an average attendance of 2k this season.

The club will be in a great financial position if come the end of the season the average is over 11k.

I doubt very much they'd have budgeted on 2k fans and i'd expect us still to be making a loss this season, even with 11k fans.

bigfatronssba

I doubt very much they'd have budgeted on 2k fans and i'd expect us still to be making a loss this season, even with 11k fans.

Why wouldn't they have budgeted for 2k? The deal to come back wasn't agreed until after the season had started, therefore it wouldn't have been very sensible to just assume a deal could be done.

Until that new rental agreement was signed there was no basis to budget for anything over 2k fans.

duffer

The point was to get us home, to the immediate benefit of the extra 9,000 that are going, to the occasional and future benefit of the others that now at least have the choice to go, and to the financial benefit of the club itself.

stupot07

Why wouldn't they have budgeted for 2k? The deal to come back wasn't agreed until after the season had started, therefore it wouldn't have been very sensible to just assume a deal could be done.

Until that new rental agreement was signed there was no basis to budget for anything over 2k fans.

Because they knew they would need to fund losses anyway. Our turnover excluding player Clarke sale and arsenal cup game (as they couldn't possibly have been forecast a year before they happened) would have been less than £1.5m at a guess, given ticket prices were significantly lower than the Ricoh. I bet ticket income was no more than £300k.

Sisu knew full well they would have to fund losses at Sixfields and took a gamble on it. The extra income this season will mainly I be used to fund some those losses and maybe strengthen if needed in Jan. We will still be making a loss.

Answer me this. If you think that sisu budgeted on 2k, do you believe we have the lowest wage bill in the league?

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Because they knew they would need to fund losses anyway. Our turnover excluding player Clarke sale and arsenal cup game (as they couldn't possibly have been forecast a year before they happened) would have been less than £1.5m at a guess, given ticket prices were significantly lower than the Ricoh. I bet ticket income was no more than £300k.

Sisu knew full well they would have to fund losses at Sixfields and took a gamble on it. The extra income this season will mainly I be used to fund some those losses and maybe strengthen if needed in Jan. We will still be making a loss.

Answer me this. If you think that sisu budgeted on 2k, do you believe we have the lowest wage bill in the league?

I think that had it not been for the Arsenal game and Clarke money we would have gone into this season with by far the lowest wage bill in the league. As it is I imagine it must be about halfway.

I think they used that money as a gamble that we would do well and attendances at Sixfields might pick up slightly, and if not there could always be a fire sale in January.

stupot07

I think that had it not been for the Arsenal game and Clarke money we would have gone into this season with by far the lowest wage bill in the league. As it is I imagine it must be about halfway.

I think they used that money as a gamble that we would do well and attendances at Sixfields might pick up slightly, and if not there could always be a fire sale in January.

So basically to answer your own question the club haven't budgeted on 2k crowds.....

I'm not why they gamble on picking up attendance figures given that they didn't pick up last season despite playing some of the most exciting football in years.

Also wouldn't clarke and arsenal money be last financial year and utilised to get us over FFP last season?

I would t bet against is still having a wage budget on the top 6 in the league.

bigfatronssba

So basically to answer your own question the club haven't budgeted on 2k crowds.....

I'm not why they gamble on picking up attendance figures given that they didn't pick up last season despite playing some of the most exciting football in years.

Also wouldn't clarke and arsenal money be last financial year and utilised to get us over FFP last season?

I would t bet against is still having a wage budget on the top 6 in the league.

Where have I said that?

I am saying the club will have budgeted for 2k crowds + the Arsenal and Clarke money, whereas now we have 11k crowds + the Arsenal and Clarke money.

As for FFP I am unsure about when it kicks in, but I think I read it is at the point of receiving the money, so Arsenal would most likely been in last season, Clarke (and Wilson) money is unlikely to have been all upfront, so some of that will still be being received now.

stupot07

Where have I said that?

I am saying the club will have budgeted for 2k crowds + the Arsenal and Clarke money, whereas now we have 11k crowds + the Arsenal and Clarke money.

As for FFP I am unsure about when it kicks in, but I think I read it is at the point of receiving the money, so Arsenal would most likely been in last season, Clarke (and Wilson) money is unlikely to have been all upfront, so some of that will still be being received now.

The arsenal and Clarke (first £500k) money is gone, that was last financial year.

You're talking in riddles. If you believe we budgeted for 2k fans (the lowest in the league) then surely we'd have planned for the lowest costs (and wage bill) in the league?

We would have been making significant losses last season, significant losses this season, and I believe even at the Ricoh with 11k we will still make a loss this season. The extra revenue in the main will be used to fund those operating costs/losses (which will include players) it will just mean haven't to borrow less than was originally anticipated.

To be honest we're going round in circles so will just leave it there.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

bringbackrattles

I started the thread with the title of Coventry fans are fickle. and nothing has since changed my mind after reading other comments on here,in fact it has reinforced it. Yes we have great fans and that's me included by the way ! But we need to show our support by attending in numbers at home or as I've been told by several business type fans we could end up in trouble again,and even end up having to move out again.I belong to the hardcore support and we are happy as we are to be honest,but to appease the owners we have to have more home support. so as Delia would say : "Let's be avin you,where are you !"

Gazolba

I started the thread with the title of Coventry fans are fickle. and nothing has since changed my mind

The logic is simple. People by nature are fickle. Football supporters are people, therefore football supporters are fickle. People are especially fickle when they are spending their hard-earned money on a dubious product.

You don't need a large measure of intelligence to figure out why CCFC attendancies are where they are. If the owners wanted, they could easily educate themselves by asking the supporters themselves. It's called a survey!

Astute

I am fickle. I was going to the game this weekend but am now doing OT instead.

bigfatronssba

I started the thread with the title of Coventry fans are fickle. and nothing has since changed my mind after reading other comments on here,in fact it has reinforced it. Yes we have great fans and that's me included by the way ! But we need to show our support by attending in numbers at home or as I've been told by several business type fans we could end up in trouble again,and even end up having to move out again.I belong to the hardcore support and we are happy as we are to be honest,but to appease the owners we have to have more home support. so as Delia would say : "Let's be avin you,where are you !"

Im sorry but whoever told you that we will have to move out again if we don't get 20k plus is scaremongering.

Why would the club be in trouble on 11k fans but see the solution as moving away where they will get 2k fans?

The answer to the problem is quite simple. If sisu don't want league 1 crowds, then they need to offer up something better than league 1 players.

theferret

These threads are becoming tedious. The same people complaining that we had 'lost a generation of fans' last season are now whining that we are getting crowds pretty much identical to what we had prior to the move.

Our crowds now are not typical, so why are people trying to pretend they are? They are at the lowest point for the best part of 50 years - and there are a variety of reasons for that.

We are a very well supported club all things told. Comparisons with Leicester are ludicrous given the relative positions and the recent histories of each club. Also, let's be clear, Leicester have a MUCH bigger catchment area than us. They are the only professional club in a county of 1 million people. Cov & Warks is 850K - and lets be honest, how much loyalty is there to Coventry from the people at the extremes of Warwickshire? A lot less than in Leicestershire where the towns and villages have a much stronger association with Leicester given that is the county town in name and also the cultural and economic centre of that county.

Historically our crowds are not that much different to Leicester. Perhaps we're just more loyal :D

Last edited:

Hobo

Sick of Coventry fans slagging off Coventry fans to be honest.

Travs

I haven't read through the thread, but my response to the first post is general agreement.

Yeovil attendance was shocking, and the claims flying round of 'prices too high etc' 'should be 15 quid all season', while justified, are not possible. It's 14 quid to get into Nuneaton Boro. I paid fucking 17quid to get into Forest Green Rovers the other week!

Yes prices are too high across football, but the Sheffield Uniteds/Norwich Citys/Southamptons that we like to group ourselves in with, have all kept a reasonable fan base. £4 difference on ticket prices here and there is not going to solve all our problems.

Unfortunately the facts are we are not in the same league as these teams (both in footballing terms and size terms). And a lot of that is down to the shambolic running of the club, but another lot of that is down to the pathetic support in general from the residents of Coventry.

(i am in no way knocking the hardcore 10-12000 i believe we have had since the 80's, as they are amongst the most long-suffering group of fans in football, despite our percieved 'glory years' of the 90's)

Users who are viewing this thread