Feeling resigned...but not down and out! (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

The difference is premier league footballers still want paying which is a luxury other employees will not have
Not sure how it works as its not possible to social distance in football whereas employees in different business prob can return ti work whilst adhering to safety protocols

Sky Blue Harry H

I think that the longer this situation carries on, a lot of PL teams will suddenly hit a wall, as SKY/sponsors etc will not be as keen to fork out ££££s as previously. Suddenly the players wages are going to take a real hit and it will be interesting to see how clubs react. From appearing as if they are rolling in money, I wouldn't be surprised if some bigger clubs get into real problems. They won't be able to sell players (flat transfer fees, plus players know wages are like to nosedive when contracts end, so will be unwilling to move?)

Sky Blue Harry H

On a side issue, with regards to 'people die all the time'

My Auntie was taken to hospital two days ago (I'll say no more on that)
If she has passed it onto her husband (my uncle) - goodbye
My brother has leukaemia (treatable) but if he gets it....
Mum, stepfather and father in-law - if they pick it up...

Multiply this around our membership/community and it is not ok just to say 'people die' with a get over it attitude.
This is not a normal situation - no cheap throwaway remarks, please.

Sick Boy

Multiply this around our membership/community and it is not ok just to say 'people die' with a get over it attitude.
Sorry to hear that mate, all the very best to you and your family.

skybluesam66

while that is not good news and i do sympathise greatly, there has to be a balance
If I thought the rest of my life was like this, would it be worth while ? so if we got to a point where we said we could not beat Coronavirus, then I would be one of those who would be prepared to take the chance (and yes i have had it once, not pleasant, and can see how dangerous it would be if i was older or had underlying conditions )

So at some point there has to be a normality that we work towards , or if not then it would mean for a while that the mortality rate is higher

Sky Blue Harry H

Sorry to hear that mate, all the very best to you and your family.
Cheers mate. I'm fine with life and not down at all, but am mindful of how others are (my brother has been told he WILL die if he gets it- and he's pretty matter of fact about it). My post was just a reaction to what I thought were a couple of flippant posts, which I don't think they would have made, had they had anybody else in a similar situation. And even if they did, I would have expected some sensitivity to those who may be struggling with it. I'm not, but if something happens to my brother, I'd reply differently. How's Verona? and hope you are well. PUSB

Last edited:

chiefdave

Sorry to hear that mate, hope things work out OK.

Its amazing how casually some people dismiss people dying. Of course people die all the time but there are thousands of additional deaths, its not like people have suddenly stopped dying of anything else.

And of course even if people have terminal illnesses there's nothing to say that without the virus they wouldn't have survived weeks / months / years. Not to mention dying in end of life care surrounded by your family is very different to what people are experiencing now.

Nick

Administrator
Cheers mate. I'm fine with life and not down at all, but am mindful of how others are (my brother has been told he WILL die if he gets it- and he's pretty matter of fact about it). My post was just a reaction to what I thought were a couple of flippant posts, which I don't think they would have made, had they had anybody else in a similar situation. And even if they did, I would have expected some sensitivity to those who may be struggling with it. I'm not, but if something happens to my brother, I'd reply differently. How's Verona? and hope you are well. PUSB

I am sorry to hear about family members but do we just stay in for the rest of our lives on the off chance we get it?

What about Sepsis, what about MRSA, what about Cancer, what about mental health / suicide, what about car crashes? I didn't mean it to sound harsh but death isn't just starting now. Do we stop life now for months / years on the off chance? I wasn't being flippant, I was commenting more on the mental health side of it. If people have got into the mindset that the world is over and we are doomed then they will be suffering.

If your brother has treatable Leukaemia then obviously he won't be in contact with anybody else at the current time which is obviously shit for his mental health as well :( I hope he is dealing with it OK.

Nick

Administrator
Its amazing how casually some people dismiss people dying. Of course people die all the time but there are thousands of additional deaths, its not like people have suddenly stopped dying of anything else.

Statistically they seem to be. Everything is "corona, corona, corona" which is obviously shit but everything else gets forgotten. Mental Health? Suicides will be on the up due to this and people feeling resigned to this being life going forward with no end in sight.

Mentally, although it doesn't mean we should go out and hug strangers it just means to look forward positively about WHEN this is over.

clint van damme

What about Sepsis, what about MRSA, what about Cancer, what about mental health / suicide, what about car crashes?

None of which transfer from human to human.
We have a chance to reduce the damage this does.

There have been numerous adverts in the media about people still attending appointments for cancer treatments and going to A and E if they have other complaints and there is stuff about mental health everywhere.
Don't think its fair to say it's been forgotten.

chiefdave

Statistically they seem to be. Everything is "corona, corona, corona" which is obviously shit but everything else gets forgotten. Mental Health? Suicides will be on the up due to this and people feeling resigned to this being life going forward with no end in sight.

Mentally, although it doesn't mean we should go out and hug strangers it just means to look forward positively about WHEN this is over.
If anything it looks like corona deaths are being under-reported. Look at deaths in care homes for example, 9,707 deaths over the 5 year average but of those 3,093 are listed as corona. What about the other 6,614?

EWryPrkXQAAcUEo.jpeg

That's why IMO the best number to look at is excess deaths. It won't be exact of course as somethings will have gone down but I think its as close as we're going to get until the data is analysed which could be months or years down the line.

clint van damme

If anything it looks like corona deaths are being under-reported. Look at deaths in care homes for example, 9,707 deaths over the 5 year average but of those 3,093 are listed as corona. What about the other 6,614?

View attachment 14980

That's why IMO the best number to look at is excess deaths. It won't be exact of course as somethings will have gone down but I think its as close as we're going to get until the data is analysed which could be months or years down the line.

I think that's what they'll eventually use to make country v country comparisons

Sky Blue Harry H

One thing that is perhaps different about the current set of circumstances is that a significant proportion of the population know that if they catch this, there is a strong possibility they will die. Yes people with cancer etc will have had to face up to their mortality (I know my brother has through discussions with him) and the 'well' amongst us rarely do. Imagine those who work in schools returning amongst groups of infected (but well) children, scared of passing something to parents, other vulnerable people. I know I will feel guilty (although I'm not currently worrying about it) if I pass on this virus to my father in law ( aside from carers, I'm the only point of contact). Let's hope that a vaccine is found asap. We're going to have plenty of time to analyse behaviour, practices etc post virus. As a final thought, I get the need to balance economy/ health, and can see that people's position may largely be swayed by their financial position. If you can't afford food, potential health issues become largely irrelevant.

Grendel

I think that's what they'll eventually use to make country v country comparisons

I don’t think they will they will extend the data analysis beyond the virus period and see if there are substitution impacts

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But they will have to look at it month by month. By the end of the year we could be seeing less deaths than normal because those dying from winter diseases are down because we lost them now. So we end up having it look like our response was better than it was because it evened out a bit over time.

clint van damme

But they will have to look at it month by month. By the end of the year we could be seeing less deaths than normal because those dying from winter diseases are down because we lost them now. So we end up having it look like our response was better than it was because it evened out a bit over time.

i thought they'd do it week by week, I've already seen this comparison done for some weeks.
But I'd imagine there's less deaths than usual through things like car crashes so I don't think we'll ever get a true picture.

Grendel

You'll need to explain substitution impact to me!

Well it’s probably not the right term. If 3,000 died last April and 9,000 this April but later in the year 1,000 died and not 3,000 they I think will say that all the virus did was result in a death in the year that was going to occur anyway

skybluesam66

On average 800000 or so Brits die each year
By the end of this we will probably have had 1 month of additional deaths
Or put it another way, people dying a month earlier

Sky Blue Harry H

Ok until the last part - it's not people losing 1 month off their life expectancy ( in some cases, maybe). Haven't got time at the moment, but that's a flawed calculation, imho.

Nick

Administrator
None of which transfer from human to human.
We have a chance to reduce the damage this does.

There have been numerous adverts in the media about people still attending appointments for cancer treatments and going to A and E if they have other complaints and there is stuff about mental health everywhere.
Don't think its fair to say it's been forgotten.

Maybe seasonal flu then?

shmmeee

giphy.gif

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 4439

One thing that is perhaps different about the current set of circumstances is that a significant proportion of the population know that if they catch this, there is a strong possibility they will die. .

Is there? The current rate is 2.5% for those under 75, and that rate is most likely skewed by the lack of testing.(number of coronavirus cases probably higher than reported). That's not an insignificant figure, but I'd say the very strong possibility is that if people catch it they won't die.

Sky Blue Harry H

Is there? The current rate is 2.5% for those under 75, and that rate is most likely skewed by the lack of testing.(number of coronavirus cases probably higher than reported). That's not an insignificant figure, but I'd say the very strong possibility is that if people catch it they won't die.
My brother is in his 50s. He gets it, he dies....the under 75s who are vulnerable (underlying conditions) are locking themselves away. If the virus gets to them, a significant number will suffer.

Users who are viewing this thread