Feeling resigned...but not down and out! (1 Viewer)

wingy

I’d just be happy if someone told me we’d get back to normal in 12 months. My concern is that it will take decades to get an effective treatment like happened with HIV. This virus is very very tricky and I’m not at all confident we have a good handle on it.
There are so many variables, possibilities.
In time it could become like having the common cold.
Mutate into a more lethal state or weaken just to carry on it's spread .
I think where the world is technologically we should remain hopeful treatments and vaccines will overcome this
While we shouldn't be complacent in any way I think we should remain positive.
I'm naturally a bit of a pessimist but feel there's no value in that approach on this occasion.
We're just going to have to play it smart for now
Get it under control, keep it there and as appears possible use all methods to eradicate it .
As seems possible in far Eastern countries

I don't understand this western liberal argument of limited action.

Terry Gibson's perm

They must gave worries about people trying to get in the grounds or congregating outside, you always get somebody who hasn’t missed a game for thirty years trying it on. How could they police it?

Sick Boy

They must gave worries about people trying to get in the grounds or congregating outside, you always get somebody who hasn’t missed a game for thirty years trying it on. How could they police it?
Actually enforce it rather than gently telling people to go home?

Covkid1968#

People die every day. I don’t honestly see the correlation
They do.... but I would guess people see it very differently if they have been directly impacted say with a death in the family. I’ve got members of family who are utterly paranoid and very very scared with talk of. It being airborne and man made. They are disaffecting everything that moves and don’t trust a word Borris says. So for them and millions of people in the UK I think they see football a very trivial affair... and a sure fire way of more people dying needlessly.... and that’s the difference with other deaths every day. With Covid People can avoid dying and all the pain it causes.

Nick

Administrator
They do.... but I would guess people see it very differently if they have been directly impacted say with a death in the family. I’ve got members of family who are utterly paranoid and very very scared with talk of. It being airborne and man made. They are disaffecting everything that moves and don’t trust a word Borris says. So for them and millions of people in the UK I think they see football a very trivial affair... and a sure fire way of more people dying needlessly.... and that’s the difference with other deaths every day. With Covid People can avoid dying and all the pain it causes.

I think people might need to back away from the graphs, the news and the media and do something they enjoy.

I don't see the point in being paranoid, you can only do so much (mostly common sense) to avoid getting it and hygiene etc. Some people are acting like the world is going to end because of it

It really isn't doing anything for people's mental health, my daughter even said that her friend (who's 10) was really worried because she heard something on the news that a kid had died so she thought she was going to die. Back away from the news, read a relaxing book, be positive, put a comedy on the TV.

clint van damme

I’d just be happy if someone told me we’d get back to normal in 12 months. My concern is that it will take decades to get an effective treatment like happened with HIV. This virus is very very tricky and I’m not at all confident we have a good handle on it.

There appear to be several facilities in various countries really fast tracking vaccine research and development and as I speak there is some medical bod on 5live saying it's possible although unlikely we could have one at the end of the year so fingers crossed.

ccfcricoh

JLR going back to work have a hell of a lot more people than would need to attend a "behind doors" football game.

Makes no sense letting a car industry get back up and running with thousands of employees in one factory while classing 22 players on a football pitch as too high risk.

Nick

Administrator
JLR going back to work have a hell of a lot more people than would need to attend a "behind doors" football game.

Makes no sense letting a car industry get back up and running with thousands of employees in one factory while classing 22 players on a football pitch as too high risk.

That's the other thing, consistency across everything.

bawtryneal

Its not people inside the grounds, its the people who will congregate outside that are the problem
Can you imagine the day Liverpool are crowned champions or Leeds are promoted for example
Thousands will congregate outside Anfield or Elland Road irrespective of them playing at home or away or on a neutral ground.

Nick

Administrator
Its not people inside the grounds, its the people who will congregate outside that are the problem
Can you imagine the day Liverpool are crowned champions or Leeds are promoted for example
Thousands will congregate outside Anfield or Elland Road irrespective of them playing at home or away or on a neutral ground.

Don't tell anybody where it will be played ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

I would say a points deduction would be the only way to deal with it but then I could imagine sone idiot Sunderland fans turning up at our home games to ruin it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's not an either or situation though in my opinion.
Football with crowds would appear to be very irresponsible at the moment.
But behind closed doors looks like something we can work towards in the coming weeks surely?
With the likes of JLR and Toyota looking to return to work surely BCD games are feasible?

Provided you don't get idiots congregating near the stadium when it's being played. But that could be sorted with a warning "if fans turn up outside grounds the match will be postponed". But of course that could lead teams that don't want games to be played to do so to deliberately get them postponed so fixtures can't be completed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think people might need to back away from the graphs, the news and the media and do something they enjoy.

I don't see the point in being paranoid, you can only do so much (mostly common sense) to avoid getting it and hygiene etc. Some people are acting like the world is going to end because of it

It really isn't doing anything for people's mental health, my daughter even said that her friend (who's 10) was really worried because she heard something on the news that a kid had died so she thought she was going to die. Back away from the news, read a relaxing book, be positive, put a comedy on the TV.

Although I agree with the sentiment on getting away from the news etc you did say you can only do so much, and most of that is in terms of common sense. So you have to ask "is it common sense to have groups of people in extremely close contact just for entertainment when there's a potentially deadly airborne virus going about?"

You then also have to look at how that would affect behaviour. Would the players think "well if I can play football and get breathed on/bloodied etc why can't I go round a mate's house?" If they had to be even more excluded between games to minimise potential infection how would they cope mentally from that isolation? Would the general public say "well if they're allowed to play football why can't I invite friends round or just go out whenever I like?

Before you know it everyone is ignoring social distancing etc, cases are spiking again and we're back where we started.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But would it just be 22 players? Managers, coaches, kit, officials, assuming some techies to stream it etc. Probably well over 100 people there already.

Not to mention the numpties who'd turn up outside.

Nick

Administrator
Although I agree with the sentiment on getting away from the news etc you did say you can only do so much, and most of that is in terms of common sense. So you have to ask "is it common sense to have groups of people in extremely close contact just for entertainment when there's a potentially deadly airborne virus going about?"

You then also have to look at how that would affect behaviour. Would the players think "well if I can play football and get breathed on/bloodied etc why can't I go round a mate's house?" If they had to be even more excluded between games to minimise potential infection how would they cope mentally from that isolation? Would the general public say "well if they're allowed to play football why can't I invite friends round or just go out whenever I like?

Before you know it everyone is ignoring social distancing etc, cases are spiking again and we're back where we started.

Again, nobody is saying about football tomorrow. This is what people are missing.

People are already starting to go out more and do more, go back to work etc.

Nick

Administrator
But would it just be 22 players? Managers, coaches, kit, officials, assuming some techies to stream it etc. Probably well over 100 people there already.

Aside from players, coaches, physio, doctor, officials etc then everybody else could social distance easily.

There are probably more people sat in a canteen at Asda at lunchtime to be honest. There are usually 4 or 5 people working in just a small one stop.

Terry Gibson's perm

The ones outside get a water cannon in them

Grendel

Exactly, it isn't all of nothing. Fill Wembley and cough on each other.

Ian Wright on Five Live was the other saying you can’t expect players to risk their lives and that of their families

Nick

Administrator
Ian Wright on Five Live was the other saying you can’t expect players to risk their lives and that of their families

Easy to say really when most of them are sitting at home watching hundreds of thousands go into their bank every week. (Premier League players, that is).

Paxman II

Have you been on a automated car line recently?

covcity4life

Doesn't matter how rich some footballers are. You cannot dismiss their concerns about safety

I expect the big leagues will end up playing however

Aa for us doubtful. Hooefukly some concrete news in the coming week

Grendel

Doesn't matter how rich some footballers are. You cannot dismiss their concerns about safety

I expect the big leagues will end up playing however

Aa for us doubtful. Hooefukly some concrete news in the coming week

The difference is premier league footballers still want paying which is a luxury other employees will not have

Users who are viewing this thread