Favourite players of the last 25 years? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah, my parents didn't have much cash, so my Mum cut up the numbers and letters from white felt and stick them on. I got bullied at school.

I only got them cos the place we got them from (this was when other shops could sell them) a name was included for free on kids shirts. Once it became a cost extra I didn't get them on anymore (plus it'd have look a bit sad on someone who was 14). Hence why the only exception was the kit with the circle on the back that looked odd without a number. So I had Nilsson put on that one and hoped for the best.

Greggs

I only got them cos the place we got them from (this was when other shops could sell them) a name was included for free on kids shirts. Once it became a cost extra I didn't get them on anymore (plus it'd have look a bit sad on someone who was 14). Hence why the only exception was the kit with the circle on the back that looked odd without a number. So I had Nilsson put on that one and hoped for the best.
should have got some felt

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah, my parents didn't have much cash, so my Mum cut up the numbers and letters from white felt and stick them on. I got bullied at school.

Another indication of how sad I was (well, let's be honest, am) is that I was trying to think of a way you could get names onto shirts that could them be removed/replaced if a player was sold or if a fickle child got a new favourite player or we signed someone. Loads of ideas, but none I felt happy with.

Did a similar thing with cars as I loved soft-tops but thought they got broken into and leaked too much, so I had three or four ideas for a convertible hard-top. Obv were only simple drawings and the positives/negatives but for a 12y-o they weren't bad. All of them have since been made in some form.

ProfessorbyGrace

David Thompson was immense in our first season after relegation from the Premiership. Some of his goals were just scandalous. Always like Thommo as a player, and I'd have liked to have seen him and Roland Nilsson down the right for us.

Plenty of mentions for Steve Froggatt; on his day, yes, absolutely, he was a handful and had fireworks in his boots. For me, he went missing a lot, and was probably isolated due to Strachan's occasionally-dubious tactics.

Dion Dublin, of course. What a player in Sky Blue. Loved his partnership with Darren Huckerby in the '97-'98 season, it was their most productive season together in attack. Great times. Especially away to Southampton and Bolton that year, when Huckerby decimated them with his aggression and audacious finishing.

Always liked Trond-Egil Soltvedt in midfield too, his workrate and 'decoy' runs were excellent, as was his tackling. Always seemed to be smiling, too.

mark82

Max Biamou.

2018-05-18T202735Z_315206563_RC12D0877660_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-NOT-CVC.jpg

shmmeee

I had a felt number 7 on my kit as a kid, mostly because asking my mum to also cut out “Gallacher” was a bit much.

Samo

David Speedie

mmttww

David Thompson. Could not believe we'd signed him after he tore us to pieces at the end of the previous season. On debut it seemed to hit home how bad we were and he lost his mind trying to win the game on his own before getting sent off!

Convinced him in a side with either Keane or McAllister would've seen us safe. Felt like he dragged us to wins the next season all by himself several times over and that we fell to bits when he was sold for peanuts before his England call up.

Edit - checked and we sold him in the summer, not mid season. Proof memory isn't always reliable!

Users who are viewing this thread