Favourite ever goal? (1 Viewer)

Mask

Some great candidates already mentioned but Noel Whelan also scored some crackers. The last one in this video is my favourite of those I was there to see - Whelan dancing past basically the entire Southampton side before scoring, leading to the fans singing Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel to the tune of the Christmas carol. Not sure if this was on his debut? Must have been around then.

Edit: apparently I’m misremembering- he’d already signed for us a while before this.

My favourite all-time Cov player (born in 86, so the mid/late 90s was my main era growing up)! Huckerby gets so much credit for his goal in that 3-2 win over Man United (rightfully so), but Whelan's goal is so slick. Especially as he starts and finishes that move.

Seamus1

All of those mentioned remember fondly.

Another one to add to the list is Chippo’s goal vs Leeds. Yes that one! I watched it over and over for months.

What a team we had the then and the match although we lost was a classic.

That was one hell of a strike! I cannot seem to find it on Youtube though

Colin Steins Smile

For me it's
Ernie Hunt donkey flick v Everton
Ernie Hunt chipping Tony Waiters from the centre circle v Burnley....the pained look on Waiters face as his finger tips touched the ball as he dived backwards was a picture!
Tommy Hutchison v Arsenal away, when he beat 6 or 7 players? That almost got me beaten up by the locals.
Cyril Regis goal at Sheffield Wednesday in quarter final of the cup.
Keith Houchens goal in the final
Jimmy Holmes goal v Birmingham City away which hit both posts then dribbled in.
Huckerby v Man United
Robbie Keane v Derby
Adebola v Notts Forest to help us stay in the Championship

Cov kid 55

Graham Westley was their manager for that game. I remember the ball rolling out of play towards him, he shaped to trap it and then lifted his foot so it could roll away. Preston at that time reflected the manager. I hate time wasting (from us as well) and Preston in that game took it to a new level. Credit to the ref as he added the time on which allowed Moussa to score his great goal. Very sweet moment after what they had tried to do.
Ah, Graham Westley, thank you, a very similar type of Manager to Greyson, I think. Yes, credit to the ref, I think it was. About the 96th minute we scored. City deserved that - and so did Preston!

Johhny Blue

For me it's
Ernie Hunt donkey flick v Everton
Ernie Hunt chipping Tony Waiters from the centre circle v Burnley....the pained look on Waiters face as his finger tips touched the ball as he dived backwards was a picture!
Tommy Hutchison v Arsenal away, when he beat 6 or 7 players? That almost got me beaten up by the locals.
Cyril Regis goal at Sheffield Wednesday in quarter final of the cup.
Keith Houchens goal in the final
Jimmy Holmes goal v Birmingham City away which hit both posts then dribbled in.
Huckerby v Man United
Robbie Keane v Derby
Adebola v Notts Forest to help us stay in the Championship
That Hutch goal at Arsenal was on TV news that night but I've never been able to find it on line. By the time he'd beaten half of the Arsenal team and rolled it home he was wearing three defenders like scarves. One of the best for sure

SkyBlueSoul

Dublin against Newcastle where he was behind the goal, Given rolled the ball out not seeing him, and dublin tucked it in the net. Loved it.
Given's doing a charity thing for Sport Relief outside MediaCity this Friday, trying to save penalties for 11-hours. Anyone can have a go. Think it would be rude not to wear a City shirt with Dublin on the back.

He probably won't even clock it, but I'll know... :emoji_smirk:

Irish Sky Blue

That Hutch goal at Arsenal was on TV news that night but I've never been able to find it on line. By the time he'd beaten half of the Arsenal team and rolled it home he was wearing three defenders like scarves. One of the best for sure
Dean Nelson ( think that’s his name) the chap with all the City videos, had an event at Fargos a couple of years ago showing some of his films of City games. Hutch’s goal at Arsenal was one of the clips he had. At the end of the session I asked him about the clip and he said that one of the ITV companies had the clip but were reluctant to release it. The clip he had shows the last moments of the goal as Tommy puts the ball in the net. It doesn’t show his complete run.

Johhny Blue

Given's doing a charity thing for Sport Relief outside MediaCity this Friday, trying to save penalties for 11-hours. Anyone can have a go. Think it would be rude not to wear a City shirt with Dublin on the back.

He wouln't even notice you............ ........................Until it was too late

SkyblueBazza

Emotionally...Houchen's header at Wembley for me.

Overall...I would say Ernie Hunt v Everton (1st ever goal of the season) - pure coincidence it's CCFC related.

There are too many contenders to mention for 2nd place, but Ernie's goal from Willie Carr's 'donkey kick' was & is still iconic (outlawed even!), original & utterly unique...a revelation.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The Great Eastern

Tommy Hutch scored the only goal in an early season, mid-week game against Liverpool. Sometime in the mid-70's....can't remember the year.
Basically, a pass came from Brian Alderson on the right wing which found Colin Stein's head while he was being challenged by a Liverpool defender. He heads the ball back into the path of the onrushing Tommy H who volleys an unstoppable shot across Ray Clemence who is still in mid-air as the ball is falling to ground after hitting the back of the net.
Stupendous goal !!! Ive never seen it again but if anybody knows where to look, please post a link.

Nonleagueherewecome

Some great candidates already mentioned but Noel Whelan also scored some crackers. The last one in this video is my favourite of those I was there to see - Whelan dancing past basically the entire Southampton side before scoring, leading to the fans singing Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel to the tune of the Christmas carol. Not sure if this was on his debut? Must have been around then.

Edit: apparently I’m misremembering- he’d already signed for us a while before this.

Brilliant goal, was behind the opposite goal and had a nice view of that slaloming run and peachy finish. First game I ever took a girlfriend to. Main other memory of the day, aside from her telling me off for swearing cos there were children present, was when I asked her what she thought she said "that Whelan's good isn't he?"

Lots of other crackers there, but personal favourites are probably the "ooooh, me groin!" stretch v Liverpool and the hammered finish versus The Hammers.

Nonleagueherewecome

I re-read Fever Pitch a few weeks back and had a good hunt for it based on its mention in there, but no joy!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Hucks against Man U
Moldovan v villa
Houchena header
Cyrillie scored a belter v sheff Wednesday in the quarter final

But in the Ricoh years dele scored a great header against Sheffield Utd

Cranfield Sky Blue

Davor Suker on Boxing Day. Had McAlllister 3-2 at 180/1. Never celebrated an opposition goal before!!

The real one would have to be Moldovan at Vile Park.

hamil99

Facebook User

Try hiding by the goal post with your Dublin shirt on an see if he twigs lol.

Johhny Blue

Tommy Hutch scored the only goal in an early season, mid-week game against Liverpool. Sometime in the mid-70's....can't remember the year.
Basically, a pass came from Brian Alderson on the right wing which found Colin Stein's head while he was being challenged by a Liverpool defender. He heads the ball back into the path of the onrushing Tommy H who volleys an unstoppable shot across Ray Clemence who is still in mid-air as the ball is falling to ground after hitting the back of the net.
Stupendous goal !!! Ive never seen it again but if anybody knows where to look, please post a link.
Liverpool hit the bar about 30 seconds before that goal

Irish Sky Blue

Into the arms of, possibly, Jim Blyth ? Whoever it was in goal the threw it out to Mick Coop who then passed it to Brian Alderson... The rest is as described above. My fav Cov goal by a large margin.
That was a great start to that season. First two games were at home (as was the tradition then, first two games either home or away). The first game we beat Tottenham 1-0, second game Hutch’s goal beat Liverpool. What a good exciting team we had back then; Stein, Carr, Mortimer, Alderson, Ernie Hunt still around as well as Hutch.

Gazolba

Paul Williams vs Newcastle 1999, second goal here (1:30):

Last edited:

rob9872

Seen hundreds over the years and yet the iconic ones apart I struggle to remember them without tv footage. I can't even remember half the ones from the last couple of years. Perhaps I'm just old!

wingy

Seen hundreds over the years and yet the iconic ones apart I struggle to remember them without tv footage. I can't even remember half the ones from the last couple of years. Perhaps I'm just old!
Yeah same here, have been Impressed with some of the choices relating to the 60-70-80's .

While youtube Reinforces the more recent era .

rupert_bear

Apart from the obvious cup-final goal I was at Arsenal in the clock end to see that amazing Tommy Hutchison when he dribbled around half the Arsenal team leaving our old player Jeff Blockley, George Graham, Bob McNabb and keeper Bob Wilson in a line on the ground before tucking it in the net. At the time I was surrounded by about 50 very drunk and vocal London based Glasgow Rangers fans there to support their old hero Colin Stein who had recently joined us when the inevitable Arsenal hooligans turned up to flex their muscles the look of terror on their faces when these Scots turned on them was a wonderful sight.
Surprised older fans haven’t mentioned the George Hudson goal v Southampton in the snow when he mesmerised their centre half Tony Knapp with super skill, flicked the ball over Knapp’s head and buried the ball in the net.
We signed Knapp later to fill in for the injured George Curtis, not one of Jimmy Hill’s better days.

NortonSkyBlue

Apart from the obvious cup-final goal I was at Arsenal in the clock end to see that amazing Tommy Hutchison when he dribbled around half the Arsenal team leaving our old player Jeff Blockley, George Graham, Bob McNabb and keeper Bob Wilson in a line on the ground before tucking it in the net. At the time I was surrounded by about 50 very drunk and vocal London based Glasgow Rangers fans there to support their old hero Colin Stein who had recently joined us when the inevitable Arsenal hooligans turned up to flex their muscles the look of terror on their faces when these Scots turned on them was a wonderful sight.
Surprised older fans haven’t mentioned the George Hudson goal v Southampton in the snow when he mesmerised their centre half Tony Knapp with super skill, flicked the ball over Knapp’s head and buried the ball in the net.
We signed Knapp later to fill in for the injured George Curtis, not one of Jimmy Hill’s better days.
I remember the goal very well and yes it is was a fraught afternoon but a great 2-0 win and got home in one piece only to get burned by a Roman candle on my face that night! Oh the joys of The White Horse pub in Henley Green.....

Users who are viewing this thread