Favourite Ever Cov City Player ? (4 Viewers)

bringbackrattles

I read it years and years ago...can’t say I remember anything about us or Hutchison but do remember it being a great read.
For some reason the chapter I most remember was about Gus Caeser, who I am sure I saw play at HR. Helps me realise just how good footballers really must be compared to the average fan, when we’re giving them grief for being shite...and the psychological aspects of playing in front of big crowds etc.

Makes me think a bit about abuse players get. Apart from Julian Darby who really was shite.
I'm sure he does mention the Hutch goal and has a sly pop at us. I'll have to see if I can get hold of a copy and have another read ? But I do recall enjoying reading it.

Terry_dactyl

I'm sure he does mention the Hutch goal and has a sly pop at us. I'll have to see if I can get hold of a copy and have another read ? But I do recall enjoying reading it.
Yeah, I’m sure he does, just been a long time since I read it. Now the Hutch goal reference might be coming back to me...something about shouting “you’re going home in a fucking ambulance”?

Was it ‘Viz’ that used to have a character based on Nick Hornby?
Sorry...my memory is going! I’m starting to sound like Grandpa Simpson.

Legia Sky Blue

I read it years and years ago...can’t say I remember anything about us or Hutchison but do remember it being a great read.
For some reason the chapter I most remember was about Gus Caeser, who I am sure I saw play at HR. Helps me realise just how good footballers really must be compared to the average fan, when we’re giving them grief for being shite...and the psychological aspects of playing in front of big crowds etc.

Makes me think a bit about abuse players get. Apart from Julian Darby who really was shite.

In the book 'Staying Up' I remember that John Salako was similarly mentioned I think by Strachan saying how his confidence was easily eroded by comments he could hear from the sidelines. Being a winger meant he was going to hear those barbs more clearly. I suspect the same had happened earlier to David Smith, who became a shell of the player he started out as, and was almost scared to take a full back on in case it went wrong.

bringbackrattles

Yeah, I’m sure he does, just been a long time since I read it. Now the Hutch goal reference might be coming back to me...something about shouting “you’re going home in a fucking ambulance”?

Was it ‘Viz’ that used to have a character based on Nick Hornby?
Sorry...my memory is going! I’m starting to sound like Grandpa Simpson.
I'm on a quest now to read it again ! He also in the book writes sarcastically about his dislike for Blockley. Who played for us and the Gunners.

bringbackrattles

In the book 'Staying Up' I remember that John Salako was similarly mentioned I think by Strachan saying how his confidence was easily eroded by comments he could hear from the sidelines. Being a winger meant he was going to hear those barbs more clearly. I suspect the same had happened earlier to David Smith, who became a shell of the player he started out as, and was almost scared to take a full back on in case it went wrong.

Terry_dactyl

Conversely...my dad used to take me up to Pompey games if Cov were away. They had a player called Mark Stimson. He was woeful, the crowd would be on him all game. We were at this game and he did something good - beat a couple of players and set up a goal or something. He went back to the crowd, got a big cheer and gave it the celebratory fist pump to the crowd. Anyway, from that moment on he was great whenever he played, couldn’t put a foot wrong. Confidence is a strange thing.

Legia Sky Blue

Conversely...my dad used to take me up to Pompey games if Cov were away. They had a player called Mark Stimson. He was woeful, the crowd would be on him all game. We were at this game and he did something good - beat a couple of players and set up a goal or something. He went back to the crowd, got a big cheer and gave it the celebratory fist pump to the crowd. Anyway, from that moment on he was great whenever he played, couldn’t put a foot wrong. Confidence is a strange thing.

On your previous Gus Caesar point about us fans not realising how good you have to be to make it as a pro, I also remember from the 'Staying Up' book, which was maybe from Strachan again, commenting about Paul Telfer at the training ground, saying how when he kicked the ball it made a pinging sound he could hit it so cleanly, that only a few top pros could do. Of course Telfer was widely viewed as our weak link throughout his time at the club.

Terry_dactyl

On your previous Gus Caesar point about us fans not realising how good you have to be to make it as a pro, I also remember from the 'Staying Up' book, which was maybe from Strachan again, commenting about Paul Telfer at the training ground, saying how when he kicked the ball it made a pinging sound he could hit it so cleanly, that only a few top pros could do. Of course Telfer was widely viewed as our weak link throughout his time at the club.
I’ve still not got round to reading ‘Staying Up’...think I should.
Exactly, he didn’t look great playing in a very good prem team. Stick him in any Sunday pub team and he’s scoring 10 a game!

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

I’ve still not got round to reading ‘Staying Up’...think I should.
Exactly, he didn’t look great playing in a very good prem team. Stick him in Amy Sunday pub team and he’s scoring 10 a game!
In the 60's we had a keeper called Bob Wesson who was often barracked by the crowd as he would make a fair few blunders. My dad said he was great one game but woeful the next. Anyway we went to Molineux to see us play Wolves and as I was only a young lad it was the first time I'd seen Wesson in goal. Wolves outplayed us throughout the game but due to an outstanding performance by Wesson who saved everything thrown at Him, we came away with a goalless draw. I think from them onwards the City fans left him alone !

Terry_dactyl

In the 60's we had a keeper called Bob Wesson who was often barracked by the crowd as he would make a fair few blunders. My dad said he was great one game but woeful the next. Anyway we went to Molineux to see us play Wolves and as I was only a young lad it was the first time I'd seen Wesson in goal. Wolves outplayed us throughout the game but due to an outstanding performance by Wesson who saved everything thrown at Him, we came away with a goalless draw. I think from them onwards the City fans left him alone !
We’ve had our fair share of hapless/inconsistent performers. I’ve not heard of Wesson, was he more Burge than Westwood? Did his performances get better from then on?
It seems to me that for the most part we’ve had decent goalies. I guess, for me, this is due to Oggy being between the sticks for so long. Although I always thought he was suspect with low crosses...the back pass rule ruined him!

oscillatewildly

I'm on a quest now to read it again ! He also in the book writes sarcastically about his dislike for Blockley. Who played for us and the Gunners.
Jeff Blockley is not fondly remembered by the Highbury faithful. He took the rap for the semi final defeat to Sunderland in 1973 and generally was not well received.
I spoke to him briefly at a Legends day gathering a few years back and asked if he ever went back to Arsenal in similar circumstances. He looked at me aghast and delivered an incredibly resigned and slightly trembling, "No".

oscillatewildly

We’ve had our fair share of hapless/inconsistent performers. I’ve not heard of Wesson, was he more Burge than Westwood? Did his performances get better from then on?
It seems to me that for the most part we’ve had decent goalies. I guess, for me, this is due to Oggy being between the sticks for so long. Although I always thought he was suspect with low crosses...the back pass rule ruined him!
Have spoken to Bob Wesson a few times at Legends day gatherings, too! He's a smashing chap - very enthusiastic to have a chat.
He was before my time of watching but during his tenure there was another keeper called Dave Meeson - I think it was he who made way for Bill Glazier. I think Bob Wesson was still here as we embarked on our title winning season of 1966/67.

bringbackrattles

Have spoken to Bob Wesson a few times at Legends day gatherings, too! He's a smashing chap - very enthusiastic to have a chat.
He was before my time of watching but during his tenure there was another keeper called Dave Meeson - I think it was he who made way for Bill Glazier. I think Bob Wesson was still here as we embarked on our title winning season of 1966/67.
We had Meeson, Wesson, and before them Arthur Lightening in goal. And then the best of the lot Bill Glazier came and what a signing he was.

bringbackrattles

We've been fortunate over the years to have had some really good keepers. My favourite has always been Bill Glazier followed by Jim Blyth. But I recall a match v Chelsea when our keeper let a really soft shot through his grasp much to the bewilderment of us stood behind the goal in the West End. I think it was McManus or Ramsbottom ? He got some stick for that and many fans never let him forget it for gifting them a soft goal.

Terry_dactyl

We've been fortunate over the years to have had some really good keepers. My favourite has always been Bill Glazier followed by Jim Blyth. But I recall a match v Chelsea when our keeper let a really soft shot through his grasp much to the bewilderment of us stood behind the goal in the West End. I think it was McManus or Ramsbottom ? He got some stick for that and many fans never let him forget it for gifting them a soft goal.
Who’d be a keeper! Completely exposed if you make a mistake.
my favourite performance by any city keeper was when Les Sealy came back on loan. Saw him at HR, can’t remember who it was against. He played the pantomime villain to perfection, and was roundly booed when he came out.
At one stage he kicked the ball to one of their strikers but saved the subsequent 1 on 1. If memory serves me right he raised his arms to the crowd, to acknowledge the mistake/receive credit for the save...just got booed again! Everyone, including him, fell about laughing. Loved it.
At the time I didn’t know the history behind it all - think it’s been talked about on here - just knew we were supposed to hate him!

tisza

according to the book even his teammates were calling him Slasher because he was missing sitters. Player that didn't quite live up to his potential.

bringbackrattles

Who’d be a keeper! Completely exposed if you make a mistake.
my favourite performance by any city keeper was when Les Sealy came back on loan. Saw him at HR, can’t remember who it was against. He played the pantomime villain to perfection, and was roundly booed when he came out.
At one stage he kicked the ball to one of their strikers but saved the subsequent 1 on 1. If memory serves me right he raised his arms to the crowd, to acknowledge the mistake/receive credit for the save...just got booed again! Everyone, including him, fell about laughing. Loved it.
At the time I didn’t know the history behind it all - think it’s been talked about on here - just knew we were supposed to hate him!
I've mentioned it on here before but as we are on the subject of keepers and Sealey now it's worth repeating. As I'm a window cleaner I cleaned Les Sealey's house a few times when he lived in Walsgrave. Always had to go back for payment as he would never have cash on him he said when he was in. He was pleasant enough and I said on a couple of occasions when he took the bucket to add water : " Don't drop it Les." He got the joke and laughed. Then again maybe that was why he always said come back for the cash ! 🤔

bringbackrattles

Another goalkeeper incident has come to my mind. My dad was the strong silent type, didn't say a lot until he was at a match, then he'd become another person fairly loud and opinionated. I recall one game and I was at the front of the Spion Kop with other young kids with our rattles and decked out in sky blue. My dad would stand a few rows up behind shouting fairly loud at the ref or something that had got him irate. Him and his mates used to jokingly shout at Arthur Lightening in our goal saying " been robbing houses again Arthur ? " The keeper either never heard them or just ignored it as can't recall him responding. As a kid I never bothered asking my dad why he shouted that at Lightening, too busy watching the games. But when I got older I did read that he had been arrested once for some dodgy business. If it was true I'm not sure but he did get some banter off our fans !

oscillatewildly

Another goalkeeper incident has come to my mind. My dad was the strong silent type, didn't say a lot until he was at a match, then he'd become another person fairly loud and opinionated. I recall one game and I was at the front of the Spion Kop with other young kids with our rattles and decked out in sky blue. My dad would stand a few rows up behind shouting fairly loud at the ref or something that had got him irate. Him and his mates used to jokingly shout at Arthur Lightening in our goal saying " been robbing houses again Arthur ? " The keeper either never heard them or just ignored it as can't recall him responding. As a kid I never bothered asking my dad why he shouted that at Lightening, too busy watching the games. But when I got older I did read that he had been arrested once for some dodgy business. If it was true I'm not sure but he did get some banter off our fans !
I've heard a similar story from many years ago - that he was (or had been) a burglar. It may have been a one off incident and may not have even occurred whilst with City but I remember my Dad mentioning it years ago.

bringbackrattles

I've heard a similar story from many years ago - that he was (or had been) a burglar. It may have been a one off incident and may not have even occurred whilst with City but I remember my Dad mentioning it years ago.
He was South African I think ? Big build with a cap on I recall. I'm sure though he did get convicted for burglary and our fans especially my dad loved to wind him up !

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

Yes, Hutch wasn't the greatest goalscorer, but when he did score they were often special. Remember him scoring a cracking 30 yarder against Man U. Not read it myself, but I believe in Nick Hornby's fever pitch book he talks about Hutch's goal at Highbury where he basically dribbled past every Arsenal player (some of them twice) before scoring. Of course there was the Bristol game too :)
I was at Highbury that day and can confirm what an amazing goal that was, the ball seemed to be tied to Tommys feet as he beat one player after another. The shame is that I don’t think any footage exists of it.

Irish Sky Blue

I was at Highbury that day and can confirm what an amazing goal that was, the ball seemed to be tied to Tommys feet as he beat one player after another. The shame is that I don’t think any footage exists of it.
There is some footage of Tommy's goal. A few years ago Dean Nelson put on a show of archive City clips at Fargos. One of the clips was the last few second of the run and ball hitting the net. I asked Dean about the clip and he told me ITV have footage of that goal but had only released film of the last part of Tommy's run.

clint van damme

I used to get so frustrated with Smith and probably gave him more abuse than any City player in my time watching the club (I generally don't get on players backs).
However, I have it on good authority that Sillett told him to stay deeper in order to protect Downes who Sillett loved.

oscillatewildly

I used to get so frustrated with Smith and probably gave him more abuse than any City player in my time watching the club (I generally don't get on players backs).
However, I have it on good authority that Sillett told him to stay deeper in order to protect Downes who Sillett loved.
If that genuinely is the case then there may be quite a few of us who owe DS an apology!

bringbackrattles

I try hard never to barrack our players always have tried to keep positive and look for the good. But Tom English used to niggle me as he along with Lorimer of Leeds had the hardest shot in football at the time. But hardly on target ! 😣

clint van damme

I try hard never to barrack our players always have tried to keep positive and look for the good. But Tom English used to niggle me as he along with Lorimer of Leeds had the hardest shot in football at the time. But hardly on target ! 😣

I remember sitting in that row or two of seats under the main stand and Jimmy Case hammering a ball clear which just missed me. It hit the window of one of the boxes behind me, can't believe it didn't break it. If it had hit me it would have hurt!

bringbackrattles

I remember sitting in that row or two of seats under the main stand and Jimmy Case hammering a ball clear which just missed me. It hit the window of one of the boxes behind me, can't believe it didn't break it. If it had hit me it would have hurt!
Jimmy Case was almost deaf so If you had shouted abuse at him he wouldn't have heard you !

Users who are viewing this thread