Favourite Ever Concert ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

As mentioned before me and 2 mates would go every summer to the Monsters Of Rock concert. Saw some great bands there and we always had a great time. Got me thinking about my favourite concert over the years ? Not easy picking one but the one that stands out is the Rolling Stones at the old Wembley Stadium. First time I'd seen them and what a performance they put on, the packed crowd in the stands and on the pitch went crazy.
A group of us were down the front and they sounded great.
So picking just one concert inside or outside, what's your favourite ?

clint van damme

Impossible to.pick I've seen so many bands it's hard to pick one but there's a few stand outs.

Damned - Tower ballroom Brum
Jesus and Mary chain - Cov poly
Pogues - first time I saw them, can't remember the venue.
Super Furry animals - Brum O2
LCD sound system- Bestival
Idles - Ally pally
Leonard Cohen - Big chill
Flaming lips - Brum O2.

Sure I've missed a lot out.

Edit - seen Blur a few times but on two occasion we were immense. Headlining Glastonbury 2009 and at the NEC supported by Super flurries. Nearly missed that for getting in to a spat with the villa mascot in the day. The wankers hammered us either 4-0 Or 4-1!

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Impossible to.pick I've seen so many bands it's hard to pick one but there's a few stand outs.

Idles - Ally pally
Flaming lips - Brum O2.

Great list. But surely one stands out ? The Stones concert topped off a great day out.

ovduk78

I've got a few but for different reasons.

Fleetwood Mac at NEC as I only went as my mate's wife didn't want to go at the last minute.

Thin Lizzy at de Montfort were brilliant.

Gary Moore at NEC as not only was he brilliant but they were all having a great time on stage.

Cyndi Lauper at Shepherd's Bush, she was crazy telling stories between songs.

Standout one though is Evanescence at Hydro in Glasgow backed by a full orchestra, the sound and her voice were amazing.

Honourable mentions for Dio, Def Leppard, Pink Floyd & Rolling Stones.

Seen some shocking ones too!

bringbackrattles

Couldn't honestly pick one. Same with songs and albums.
So Idles stands out now but that was last December but the memories are still fresh.

The Damned gig was over 30 years ago so they're hard to compare.
Fair comment. I was in the pub when I got told a load from the pub were going to see Oasis at Wembley, spending the day on the lash etc. A spare ticket was going so thought sod it fancy a day out even though Oasis weren't a favourite band. What a great day that was drinking and having a laugh, still talked about to this day years on. And Oasis weren't bad ! 😎

bringbackrattles

I've got a few but for different reasons.

Fleetwood Mac at NEC as I only went as my mate's wife didn't want to go at the last minute.

Thin Lizzy at de Montfort were brilliant.

Gary Moore at NEC as not only was he brilliant but they were all having a great time on stage.

Cyndi Lauper at Shepherd's Bush, she was crazy telling stories between songs.

Standout one though is Evanescence at Hydro in Glasgow backed by a full orchestra, the sound and her voice were amazing.

Honourable mentions for Dio, Def Leppard, Pink Floyd & Rolling Stones.

Seen some shocking ones too!
I was at the Fleetwood Mac concert there. My then missus loved them but I preferred the early Fleetwood Mac. Recall they were good though.

eastwoodsdustman

Like others, its difficult to single any one out.

In not particular order

New Order at Reading 1993
Levellers at Glastonbury 1992
JAMC at The Roadmenders in Northampton a couple of years ago
The Fall at Cov Poly 1990
Pavement at Brixton Acedemy 2010
The Cure at Glastonbury 1995 They got panned for it but I thought they were great.
Reading Festival 1991. Nirvana before they really broke, Dinosaur Jr, James, Sisters of Mercy. It was just an awesome line up for the whole weekend.
Neds Atomic Dustbin at the Hummingbird 1990
Dinosaur Jr at the Hummingbird 1993. The sweat and condensation was running down the walls inside the place.
J Mascis acoustic set at the Rescue rooms in Nottingham about 8 or 9 years ago. Bloke is a genius.

Grendel

There was an open air festival with Marillion headlining at Milton Keynes with Jethro Tull and Gary Moore in support. I’ve always wished I was old enough to go on the Space Ritual Tour in the early 70’s

clint van damme

In not particular order

The Cure at Glastonbury 1995 They got panned for it but I thought they were great.
Reading Festival 1991. Nirvana before they really broke, Dinosaur Jr, James, Sisters of Mercy. It was just an awesome line up for the whole weekend.
Dinosaur Jr at the Hummingbird 1993. The sweat and condensation was running down the walls inside the place.
J Mascis acoustic set at the Rescue rooms in Nottingham about 8 or 9 years ago. Bloke is a genius.

I can't remember why I didn't go to JAMC at the Roadmenders but I really regret not catching one of their dates

bringbackrattles

Idles - Ally pally
Flaming lips - Brum O2.

Edit - seen Blur a few times but on two occasion we were immense. Headlining Glastonbury 2009 and at the NEC supported by Super flurries. Nearly missed that for getting in to a spat with the villa mascot in the day. The wankers hammered us either 4-0 Or 4-1!
Blur and Villa what a combination !

bringbackrattles

In not particular order

The Hummingbird was a great venue. Saw Big Country and The Mission there.
Another great place gone.

Grendel

As for the worst I saw Gillan at Rock City - dear me. Worryingly hed already cancelled a radio interview that day as his voice was gone. Shambolic

I was never a fan of Thin Lizzy studio stuff but the concerts in the early 80’s were top drawer

chiefdave

The Hummingbird was a great venue. Saw Big Country and The Mission there.
Another great place gone.
Its not gone, was in there a few months ago. You could open it back up easily. Would just need a quick coat of paint and general clean up and would be good to go. Why we have to suffer the god awful Academy at the former Dome nightclub when that building is stood empty is a mystery to me.

Birmingham has never been brilliant for venues. At the moment apart from the Institute there's very little choice. Academy is terrible, especially when sold out, the Mill is OK but the bare minimum has been done to convert it into a venue.

DHP, who own Rock City among others, were supposed to be opening a new venue on John Bright Street - the building that used to be Midland Skin Hospital. No idea what happened to that, was originally scheduled for 2018.

Hopefully by the time Covid is over Wolves Civic& Wulfren will have finished their massive refurb project. Was supposed to reopen in March 2018 so they are massively behind schedule.

wingy

Its not gone, was in there a few months ago. You could open it back up easily. Would just need a quick coat of paint and general clean up and would be good to go. Why we have to suffer the god awful Academy at the former Dome nightclub when that building is stood empty is a mystery to me.

Birmingham has never been brilliant for venues. At the moment apart from the Institute there's very little choice. Academy is terrible, especially when sold out, the Mill is OK but the bare minimum has been done to convert it into a venue.

DHP, who own Rock City among others, were supposed to be opening a new venue on John Bright Street - the building that used to be Midland Skin Hospital. No idea what happened to that, was originally scheduled for 2018.

Hopefully by the time Covid is over Wolves Civic& Wulfren will have finished their massive refurb project. Was supposed to reopen in March 2018 so they are massively behind schedule.
And we will have the New Empire.

Fletch

Due to reopen or was Pre-Covid: New music venue to open on site of old Birmingham Ballroom and Carling Academy | I Am Birmingham

Mcbean

Was too young to see original Quo unfortunately but the reunion gigs at Hammersmith were pretty special. Amazing atmosphere and just something I never thought I'd get to see.
They played the Bulldog Bash when the main stage was in a marquee - great night non stop rocking about 30ft from the stage !

Covstu

Some great ones and impossible to pick one, heres a few of mine

REM at MK bowl
,Manics in brum and Cardiff
Shed seven anywhere
Stone roses in manchester
Beck at V96
Radiohead at Glastonbury 95
Specials at the cathedral

clint van damme

REM at MK bowl
Shed seven anywhere
Beck at V96

I'm assuming the Stone Roses was on the Come back tour?
Another one I fucked up not going to!

It’sabatch87

REM at MK bowl
Shed seven anywhere
Beck at V96
Was up in York a couple of years ago and out for a few after York races and Rick Witter of Shed Seven was doing a DJ set in a pub had a chat with him so down to earth guy!!

Users who are viewing this thread