Famous people you've met (1 Viewer)

publican1990

Shane Warne - when I was a kid we were visiting family on the Isle of Wight at the same time he was playing for Hampshire. My old man got tickets to an evening with him and Robin Smith. My dad asked a question about developing a young players game. He spoke to me for about ten minutes. At the end of the show he says "would the young lad like to come down onto the stage". I went down and he told me to bowl at him, then he bowled the most perfect googly that I couldn't have read in a million years. I picked up the ball to give it back to him and he says "keep it mate, it's yours" when I looked at he'd signed it "good luck, Shane Warne." I know he's had his moments over the years but that is a really great memory.

David Suchet - filming something at the cathedral, lovely guy.

Simon Reeve - not famous as such but on the telly regularly. Great guy, as warm as he comes across on TV.

That's about it for me, what about you fellas?

LastGarrison

This thread title rang a bell so just checked and there is already another thread about this but no harm in another!

If you're interested it's here:

publican1990

This thread title rang a bell so just checked and there is already another thread about this but no harm in another!

If you're interested it's here:

Should have checked first!🤦 the bloke who met Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall, fecking hell😄

LastGarrison

Should have checked first!🤦 the bloke who met Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall, fecking hell😄
Years ago that thread though so be good to hear others or ones that weren't mentioned.

I walked past Michelle Keegan and all her mates in Dubai Airport who were on their way to her Hen Do.

Also, Danny Wilson at Cheltenham one year when he was just about to get sacked from Sheffield Wednesday so wasn't in the most talkative mood. He had £40 on a horse called Inca which was the favourite and came absolutely no-where!

publican1990

Years ago that thread though so be good to hear others or ones that weren't mentioned.

I walked past Michelle Keegan and all her mates in Dubai Airport who were on their way to her Hen Do.

Also, Danny Wilson at Cheltenham one year when he was just about to get sacked from Sheffield Wednesday so wasn't in the most talkative mood. He had £40 on a horse called Inca which was the favourite and came absolutely no-where!

Well, Michelle Keegan beats any of mine😆

rob9872

Played poker with quite a few famous poker players and a few celebs if that counts. Not exactly really met them though and doubt they'd remember me.

LastGarrison

Played poker with quite a few famous poker players and a few celebs if that counts. Not exactly really met them though and doubt they'd remember me.
Which ones?

Recently put a TV in our bedroom with that Rakuten TV and it has a dedicated poker channel so started watching it again.

Remember being obsessed with Late Night Poker on Channel 4 back in the day!

publican1990

My dad was in music in the sixties. He met a lot of bands, some of them before they hit the big time. The Who, Manfred Mann, Spencer Davis group, Herman's Hermits, Ginger Baker. Got some great stories.

clint van damme

Shane Warne - when I was a kid we were visiting family on the Isle of Wight at the same time he was playing for Hampshire. My old man got tickets to an evening with him and Robin Smith. My dad asked a question about developing a young players game. He spoke to me for about ten minutes. At the end of the show he says "would the young lad like to come down onto the stage". I went down and he told me to bowl at him, then he bowled the most perfect googly that I couldn't have read in a million years. I picked up the ball to give it back to him and he says "keep it mate, it's yours" when I looked at he'd signed it "good luck, Shane Warne." I know he's had his moments over the years but that is a really great memory.

Simon Reeve - not famous as such but on the telly regularly. Great guy, as warm as he comes across on TV.

I love Simon Reeves, seems a good fella glad that was your perception.

Last edited:

rob9872

Which ones?

Recently put a TV in our bedroom with that Rakuten TV and it has a dedicated poker channel so started watching it again.

Remember being obsessed with Late Night Poker on Channel 4 back in the day!

Some of the celebs: Tony Cascarino, Michael Greco, Victoria Coren-Mitchell, Steve Davis, Norman Pace, Ross Boatman

Famous poker: Sam Trickett, Jake Cody, Mel Judah, Dave Ulliott, Simon Trumper, Mike Sexton, Tony G, Dave Colclough

rob9872

Knocked a few out of tournaments too, but did get beat heads up for £8k by Dave Colclough when I had a 2 to 1 chip lead starting. He offered to chop it and I said no expecting to beat him.

LastGarrison

Some of the celebs: Tony Cascarino, Michael Greco, Victoria Coren-Mitchell, Steve Davis, Norman Pace, Ross Boatman

Famous poker: Sam Trickett, Jake Cody, Mel Judah, Dave Ulliott, Simon Trumper, Mike Sexton, Tony G, Dave Colclough
Fair play, some good names there.

Covkid1968#

Marco Pierre White just accused me of fancying his daughter….just because I said she looked like him 🤷🏻 These ‘famous’ people often turn out to be the biggest cocks.

Tea & Busquets

NBA player Chris Paul at “The Galleria” in Houston TX.

The entire Brazil National Mens Volleyball team at Imam Khomeini Airport in Tehran.

That’s about all I can remember.

Greggs

Lol you've played poker against Tony G and Sam Trickett? What stakes are you playing and where?

stay_up_skyblues

Back at HR as an impressionable early teenager we entered and left through the players and directors’ entrance so over my first two seasons following the club I had pictures with all of the premier league players and managers that would stop. You wouldn’t think that the most polite and approachable manager was Ferguson and the most miserable Bobby Robson (RIP).

Sat one seat behind Rod Stewart at England V Scotland (last one at the old Wembley). He was pissed and giving it large to the England fans. “Banter” was had.

Outside of football I once met Republica at an album signing at a music store in Weston Super Mare. Saffron (lead singer) had brown teeth, stank of fags and my 12 year old crush died a death.

The MP for North Warwickshire and Bedworth presented my daughter a girls brigade award two years ago…. Underwhelming.

The best one, and I am very jealous, my best mate bumped into Paddy Considine a couple of months ago in Burton. Mate was fitting a garage door on a posh estate and Paddy was walking his dogs. Such a good sport he let my mate WhatsApp call our little group and say hello. Got a couple of selfies too. Proper down to earth chap.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Suchet was back in Cov about a month ago as part of a tour. Deliberately asked for the Belgrade Theatre on the itinerary because it's where he met his wife.

Similarly, Ian McKellen did a show a few years back about his time in showbiz because he started his acting career in Coventry. I was one of the people on stage with him and he had his arm around me as he was 'instructing' us.

Also had a very brief chat with Lucy Porter outside the Belgrade a number of years ago before a show.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
In no particular order….

Nina Myskow
Nicky Campbell
Eamon Holmes
Edwin Star
John McVicar

Diana Rigg
Lenny Henry
Robert Plant
Jimmy Page
Freddie Starr
John Bradbury (Specials)
Tim Lovejoy
Helen Chamberlain
Johnny Vegas
Chris Tarrant
Phoned Joana Lumley
Those top ones in red were in the 'Green Room' at the ATV studios when I was a guest on a show.
There may be more 'celebs' I've met, but just can't think at the moment.
When I was at the Sky studios for the Soccer AM show, I had a picture taken with them. (All three of us looked a lot younger back then!!) + a few others from the day....
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

rob9872

Lol you've played poker against Tony G and Sam Trickett? What stakes are you playing and where?
Tony g $5k entrance in Singapore, Sam Trickett £2k gukpt final in London

rob9872

Singapore got knocked out of main event on day 1. Tony G was Betfair sponsored Pro, I had free entry from Betfair as I used to write articles for them back then circa 2006/7. Won a side event $500 entry for $25k which is still my biggest live cash ( was much easier back then) and that's where I knocked Mel Judah out. The Dave Colclough heads up you'll find listed online too from Birmingham, I said £8k higher up,was nearer £10k for top 2 as just googled it. I ended up with just over 3 and him nearer 7. Should have split in hindsight he was far too good for me. Sam Trickett I was on his table but he went much deeper after I was eliminated without cashing. Only other listed cash I have was from Reading where Willie Tann was final table with me so I can add him to list too.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Mentioned before, not me, but my daughter has met quite a few. Chris Hemsworth, Hugh Jackman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Morgan Freeman, David Thwelis, Michael Fassbender, Marion Coutilard.
Isn't Marion Coutilard an ex Formula One driver? Scots bloke I think.

publican1990

Suchet was back in Cov about a month ago as part of a tour. Deliberately asked for the Belgrade Theatre on the itinerary because it's where he met his wife.

Similarly, Ian McKellen did a show a few years back about his time in showbiz because he started his acting career in Coventry. I was one of the people on stage with him and he had his arm around me as he was 'instructing' us.

Also had a very brief chat with Lucy Porter outside the Belgrade a number of years ago before a show.

I remember Suchet telling me about his wife too, and telling me Cov has always held a very fond place in his heart because of that. Instantly endeared me to him.

I read that recently about Sir Ian as well, took me by surprise as just always assumed he started out with RSC in Stratford/London.

skybluetony176

I met Guz Khan at Walsgrave McDonald’s the other week. Apparently he’s from Coventry and still lives in Coventry in the house next door to his mother;)

SkyBlueSoul

Install home automation/lighting/AV/home cinemas in the north west so met a few through work, most relevant below.

Ben Mee - lovely guy, worked on his house around the time his daughter was born prematurely. Was obviously stressed but would always have a chat with me

Nathan Ake - can’t speak highly enough of the guy, so down to earth, worked at his for about 3 months straight so got to know him and his fiancé well. Liked to talk football, as soon as he found out I was a Cov fan said “Oh like Callum!” because he played with Wilson at Bournemouth (apparently he spoke about Cov all the time). I’d say “how are you?” casually when I turned up and he’d explain his latest injury in depth He also taught himself piano over lockdown, bought a grand piano and when he found out I play piano he insisted I sit down and play too.

Fred - only spent a day at his. Doesn’t speak much English but a nice guy.

Brighton Sky Blue

Chris Coleman and Joe Elliott at the Saxon Mill many years ago. Coleman so tall he had to crouch to get in

Users who are viewing this thread