FA Cup VAR (1 Viewer)

Marty

I understand that VAR needs to be tested before being fully rolled out, but why are some matches using it and others not?

It's now creating an uneven playing surface, Liverpool got a very soft penalty through VAR, and man city got a good goal chalked off wrongly for offside and they aren't using VAR. surely it's only fair if the whole tournament uses it?

On a side note, why was Biamou told to leave the pitch after receiving treatment yesterday, as their player received a booking he should have been allowed treatment and to carry on without leaving. Do they use different rules between league and cup games?

skybluesam66

I understand that VAR needs to be tested before being fully rolled out, but why are some matches using it and others not?

It's now creating an uneven playing surface, Liverpool got a very soft penalty through VAR, and man city got a good goal chalked off wrongly for offside and they aren't using VAR. surely it's only fair if the whole tournament uses it?

On a side note, why was Biamou told to leave the pitch after receiving treatment yesterday, as their player received a booking he should have been allowed treatment and to carry on without leaving. Do they use different rules between league and cup games?
should have stayed on . Robins was protesting, but the ref and linesman were oblivious to the rule

Otis

Thought the Liverpool one was a nailed on penalty. Thought everyone agreed with that. On BT Sport they all said it was a pen and they all said so too on MOTD.

Clear one for me. Definite pull back of the player.

What puzzled me was all the West Brom players arguing and arguing with the ref after the VAR decision. Surely that's it. No more argument to be had and surely only the player who committed the foul would know the foul was committed. None of his teammates would have seen it.

There should be a no tolerance policy. VAR decision made that's it. Any further argument needs to be an immediate yellow card.

The system is new, it will get better and in time will be rolled out further.

I really like it. All the VAR decisions last night were 100% spot on.

Marty

Thought the Liverpool one was a nailed on penalty. Thought everyone agreed with that. On BT Sport they all said it was a pen and they all said so too on MOTD.

What puzzled me was all the West Brom players arguing and arguing with the ref after the VAR decision. Surely that's it. No more argument to be had and surely only the player who committed the foul would know the foul was committed. None of his teammates would have seen it.

There should be a no tolerance policy. VAR decision made that's it. Any further argument needs to be an immediate yellow card.

Imo it was a very soft penalty, the outcome isn't important, the point I'm getting at is there is a different set of rules within one competition, either all games need to use it or none. Why should one game a ref be able to review a decision but not in another?

Otis

Imo it was a very soft penalty, the outcome isn't important, the point I'm getting at is there is a different set of rules within one competition, either all games need to use it or none. Why should one game a ref be able to review a decision but not in another?
Yeah, but as I say, it's all new and will be rolled out in time.

More of a test drive for it at the moment. Need to see it works properly.

ccfcway

There should be a no tolerance policy. VAR decision made that's it. Any further argument needs to be an immediate yellow card

That should be the rule, VAR or not. Players shouldn’t be allowed to argue with the ref

wingy

4 mins at liverpool yesterday way to long.
Needs to be inhouse at the ground and shared on screen with ref and fans ,just like RU.
Was yesterday unusual as it was almost like he had to refer what felt like every decision as he'd made a bad call on everything when much of it was obvious.
Not a good advert .

Grendel

The Liverpool player should have been booked for asking the referee to review the decision

Johnnythespider

Honestly don't like it as it stands. When a good goal is scored but is reviewed all the joy of the moment seems to be lost, i also thought it a very soft penalty last night. There has to be some involvement for the fans who don't know what's going on at the minute, one minute it's a goal the next it's not without any explanation. So a long way to go in my view before this gets rolled out.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

A few things-

They need to determine what it’s going to be used for.

Needs to be a clear signal it’s being used.

The onfield ref should review all decisions pitchside and yes take on any advice from the ref in a truck.

They should use for all TV games as they need as many games as possible asap to iron out/advise on potential decisions etc one game every month is doing it no favours!

Sky Blue Pete

Was thinking the same and assumed the cup and league different

Londonccfcfan

I like the use of it. Should be like cricket each team gets 2 uses of it max during the course of the game. It's at team captains discretion. Simple.

Liquid Gold

I think we need to establish that either football is a contact sort and a certain amount of rough and tumble is acceptable or it’s non contact and you can’t touch your man under any circumstances because this is getting rediculous.

standupforcity

It should be same as RU.. very straightforward. As Shearer says they should speak to the RU guys, find out how it's done.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I like the use of it. Should be like cricket each team gets 2 uses of it max during the course of the game. It's at team captains discretion. Simple.

Problem is when In play can they use it!? Cricket/NFL have natural breaks in play between balls/plays.

Football doesn’t it’ll end up in chaos like that Dutch cup game.

Johnnythespider

I was watching the one day game in Australia this morning and they reviewed an lbw decision, in about a minute the third umpire checked the delivery, the head on camera, the snickometer and ball tracker before giving his decision. It should be that fast in football and the fans should know what's happening.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I was watching the one day game in Australia this morning and they reviewed an lbw decision, in about a minute the third umpire checked the delivery, the head on camera, the snickometer and ball tracker before giving his decision. It should be that fast in football and the fans should know what's happening.

That’s the point I made in an earlier post Cricket they know the process to review football they’ve set it out with no processes.

Pen appeal it should be right-
1. Check for contact= yes follow step 2.
2. Check in box or not.
3. Advise on if a card is required.

(Something along the lines of that)

Then that throws up the issue a pass or 2 before there was a potential offside or foul do they check for that etc?

italiahorse

Honestly don't like it as it stands. When a good goal is scored but is reviewed all the joy of the moment seems to be lost, i also thought it a very soft penalty last night. There has to be some involvement for the fans who don't know what's going on at the minute, one minute it's a goal the next it's not without any explanation. So a long way to go in my view before this gets rolled out.

In rugby the ref calls for a review and then watches it on the big screen with the fans.
As its replayed from different angles and in slow motion the fans participate with oohs and noisy confirmation it happened (even if it didn't).
If you have the referee commentary you can hear the discussion.
Adds to the atmosphere and the crowd is sort of involved.

Hobo

It's not fair unless all games have the same ref and that's before we check on the rain and the wind direction.

Grendel

In rugby the ref calls for a review and then watches it on the big screen with the fans.
As its replayed from different angles and in slow motion the fans participate with oohs and noisy confirmation it happened (even if it didn't).
If you have the referee commentary you can hear the discussion.
Adds to the atmosphere and the crowd is sort of involved.

It’s the only atmosphere in the plastic premier crap you watch.

Grendel

How would you know,?
Perhaps you need to go to a match you might enjoy it.
Once you understand it it's quite exciting. A new found love for me in my later years.

I don’t like Rugby but if I did I’d watch the team that’s represented the City since it’s inception. You on the other hand I guess if you’d never been introduced to football and some massive club turned up in your city wouldn’t give a crap about the local team that’s served the community for over a century.

I’d enjoy hemmoroids more.

italiahorse

I don’t like Rugby but if I did I’d watch the team that’s represented the City since it’s inception. You on the other hand I guess if you’d never been introduced to football and some massive club turned up in your city wouldn’t give a crap about the local team that’s served the community for over a century.

I’d enjoy hemmoroids more.

If you don't know anything about rugby then leave it to those that do.
My local team is Cov Welsh so I also support them.
You can support 2 teams you know. Could even be 3 if Cov Rugby was closer or didn't clash with City matches.

Marty

The key decisions in the Man City game which could have benefitted from VAR today

This is the point I'm trying to make, Why are Liverpool allowed to benefit from this (Penalty decision which they ended up missing and WBA had a goal disallowed), but other clubs can't, we see today that Man City had a good goal disallowed and one of the opponents should have been sent off before half time. How close were we yesterday to the ref not giving the goal, even though it was over?

The whole competition needs to be done with VAR or not at all.

Covstu

This is the point I'm trying to make, Why are Liverpool allowed to benefit from this (Penalty decision which they ended up missing and WBA had a goal disallowed), but other clubs can't, we see today that Man City had a good goal disallowed and one of the opponents should have been sent off before half time. How close were we yesterday to the ref not giving the goal, even though it was over?

The whole competition needs to be done with VAR or not at all.
I think its the cost of a rollout, if they are going to put this into the premier then fine but they should insist that the clubs have the kit to make this work. The waiting around at the Liverpool game was a joke, fans not knowing what the hell was going on and players trying to influence the ref on whether he should or shouldn't use the system! I wonder how many stadiums 'could' show replays or decisions of this type to make it more inclusive to the supporter

Otis

As I have said, it is really early days and we need to give it time to work. I am convinced within 2 years we will all be pretty much totally behind it.

I don't buy Alan Pardew's argument either, that a couple of his players did their hamstrings because they were waiting too long.

What happens when a player is injured? They can easily be down for 2 or 3 mins. Do players then suddenly pull their hamstrings after play resumes, or do mini warm ups while the injured player is receiving treatment?

It is taking time to get a decision, but surely the system will speed up in time and besides, there's loads of wasted time in games anyway. As much as 30 mins a game, so I suggest the ref's clamp down on that for starters, rather than have us all moaning that the technology that can provide the correct decision in matches is slowing us down.

Users who are viewing this thread