F1 2021 (3 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

The two who win consistently? It's underdog with Button and Mansell, not quite getting the rub of the green. Arguably... Button needed more focus and he'd have won more titles too (although the only teammate of Hamilton to outscore him during his period with the team).

Hill was also underdog, exacerbated by him not being top draw of course, and added sympathy because of his Dad and Senna too. Plus, Schumacher was winning everything, and played close to the rules, so played into plucky Brit standing up for fair play.

(Mansell was a moaning overly precious git who played the victim btw;)

Hamilton has a few hurdles to overcome with sections of society, too. Again, he is putting his money where his mouth is to try and create opportunity, change perceptions, but that gets curiously underreported.

This is a somewhat bizarre post for me to write as I don't particularly care for him, but there's no denying he has some serious talent, and is sincere in what he believes. Someone I'd like to go for a pint with? Probably not, think he'd bore me rigid... but that'll be one of the reasons he's a multiple world champion and I'm not! Ultimately, if it was a likeability contest the majorly successful drivers are all out the running. Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna, Prost all with the same focus that set them apart, but not the best drinking companions.

A fair assessment that.

Il openly admit Hamilton is up there as the greatest of all time, a phenomenal driver especially when needing to come through the pack. Just as said before, the do as i say not as i do and holier than thou preaching when a lot of it is very hypocritical is what gets me.

But as a fan of F1 I will say without question he deserves his place as one of the greats of nit just F1 but sport as a whole

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The two who win consistently? It's underdog with Button and Mansell, not quite getting the rub of the green. Arguably... Button needed more focus and he'd have won more titles too (although the only teammate of Hamilton to outscore him during his period with the team).

Hill was also underdog, exacerbated by him not being top draw of course, and added sympathy because of his Dad and Senna too. Plus, Schumacher was winning everything, and played close to the rules, so played into plucky Brit standing up for fair play.

Hamilton has a few hurdles to overcome with sections of society, too. Again, he is putting his money where his mouth is to try and create opportunity, change perceptions, but that gets curiously underreported.

This is a somewhat bizarre post for me to write as I don't particularly care for him, but there's no denying he has some serious talent, and is sincere in what he believes. Someone I'd like to go for a pint with? Probably not, think he'd bore me rigid... but that'll be one of the reasons he's a multiple world champion and I'm not! Ultimately, if it was a likeability contest the majorly successful drivers are all out the running. Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna, Prost all with the same focus that set them apart, but not the best drinking companions.

Good post. I definitely agree with Hamilton having to overcome obstacles. I think he's once of the greats because basically he had to be to even get a chance. Fact is when you look through the entire sport (not just the drivers but pit crew etc as well) it's a very, very white sport. For someone with black heritage to come through motorsport at all, let alone to the pinnacle, they're going to have to be unbelievably good. I think he's the best driver on that grid and has been for many, many years and when you see him on a charge you're rooting for him. He's had a fair amount of good fortune over the years to go with it but he's still had to perform. Only reason I ever want him to lose is just for it to be different and to make it a bit more of a competition.

There's plenty of other drivers I have/had some sort of problem with. Schumacher was an utter bastard who, as far as I'm concerned, twice deliberately caused crashes to win himself the title. Mansell was dour, Verstappen drives like a fucking lunatic at times and makes utterly reckless manoeuvres and other drivers just get out of the way to avoid him because he's so unpredictable. When it happens to him though (and the Hamilton thing was much more a racing incident IMO) he whines like a bitch.

As I said my issue with Hamilton is the preachiness but not necessarily following what he says himself. I've no problem with him having views on stuff and as we've seen with people like Marcus Rashford arguably we need more people that have that level of fame and influence showing an interest in politics to get others more engaged in it. It's just at times he comes across as "I know better that you". He's like a sporting equivalent of Bono.

tisza

Long weekend at GP.
Appeal etc apparently it was Marko & Verstappen snr pushing all of that- team management weren't keen and had wanted to move on.
Non-aligned teams pretty much had it down to a racing incident with both drivers not wanting to get pushed around. Feeling was that the Albon lap idea was bizarre and accusations of bias petty.

Booing - just a large group of Dutch Verstappen fans who come in large numbers every year and dominate a block of the main stand area (locals can't afford it there). Basically booed every time they saw a Mercedes or Hamilton over the 3 days.

Bottas driver error based on slow start but with the conditions, and the run into that first corner someone was bound to mess up. Weather caught everyone by surprise as the forecast had been hot 37-38 and track temp (60+) would have been the main problem for tyre management.

Wasn't going to go to the race but had a new viewing point this year where I could see main straight then turn around and see down into turn 4 (normally blocked by the trees) plus VIP pass which meant could use hard shoulder and avoid the terrible traffic. Lucky race finished when it did as huge storm came across shortly after.

SkyBlueSoul

Just realised this is another season where Ricciardo has left a team only for them to win a race the next year.

Wasn't too much of a surprise when he moved from Red Bull but got to be a kick in the teeth the season after he lands a couple of podiums for Renault then moves to McLaren because he has more faith in their project going forwards. More so given he's been nowhere in a car that's arguably the 3rd best on track. And who's to say what will happen when the new regs come in next year

tisza

Just realised this is another season where Ricciardo has left a team only for them to win a race the next year.

Wasn't too much of a surprise when he moved from Red Bull but got to be a kick in the teeth the season after he lands a couple of podiums for Renault then moves to McLaren because he has more faith in their project going forwards. More so given he's been nowhere in a car that's arguably the 3rd best on track. And who's to say what will happen when the new regs come in next year
Noticed in the paddock this weekend there is an age gap - these young drivers are quite different from the older ones. Spoke to a few and they are so assured, self-confident, obviously talented but hungry. Not so sure Ricciardo as is hungry as these younger drivers .
They obviously respect the likes of Hamilton, Alonso & Vettel but aren't in awe of them and are desperate to race them. Does seem Ricciardo does coast along at times - Norris gets so much more out of his car

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As you say Britain seems to dislike it when their sports stars aren’t Underdogs. I feel the same in boxing - the likes of Frank Bruno are adored, don’t get it myself.

love Hamilton and Murray -they’ve got the drive to win.

even in Cricket, Pietersen doesn’t get the love he deserves (he was the catalyst to England winning the cricket World Cup IMO)

I was at Silverstone and Hamilton was just brilliant, sporting great right in front of us and he isn’t appreciated

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As you say Britain seems to dislike it when their sports stars aren’t Underdogs. I feel the same in boxing - the likes of Frank Bruno are adored, don’t get it myself.

love Hamilton and Murray -they’ve got the drive to win.

even in Cricket, Pietersen doesn’t get the love he deserves (he was the catalyst to England winning the cricket World Cup IMO)

I was at Silverstone and Hamilton was just brilliant, sporting great right in front of us and he isn’t appreciated

I've not seen anyone denying the talents of those people. But that's a very different thing from liking the person they come across as.

They have that drive to win, but often that's what makes them unlikeable. They're very self-centred and egomaniacal. At times they can come across as petulant and like overgrown toddlers when things aren't going their way.Brits tend to prefer people who, even if they are brilliant, have some sort of self-deprecation.

Murray is a bit different, as he is more dour than egotistical and I think a lot of his drive came from his mother (who doesn't come across as particularly likeable IMO and it seems she's used her kids to fulfil her own dreams and ambitions). He doesn't have the same drive as, say, Djokovic, who is another who doesn't come across well a lot of the time, especially if he's not winning. Serena Williams is the same - all fine when she's winning but has a massive strop when thing's are not going her way.

If you want a society based on everyone thinking how great they are look at America. Or Victorian Britain.

tisza

If you want a society based on everyone thinking how great they are look at America. Or Victorian Britain.
What Brits don't seem to like is people saying they're great - can think it but don't verbalize it. A culture where you're supposed to be "humble" and under-stated
Also we set a very high bar for greatness eg Murray counts as very good but not great as just didn't win enough Grand Slams, didn't dominate for a period of time.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

What Brits don't seem to like is people saying they're great - can think it but don't verbalize it. A culture where you're supposed to be "humble" and under-stated
Also we set a very high bar for greatness eg Murray counts as very good but not great as just didn't win enough Grand Slams, didn't dominate for a period of time.
Depends on what context though with Murray - in terms of grand slams he wasn’t quite as good as the greatest 3 players ever to play the game.

I’ve no doubt Murray is that good that if he played in the early 2000s he’d have had many more slams

Hamilton definitely deserves more love on these shores. Given that He’s one world title away from winning more than anyone else

Paul Anthony

Aston Martin withdraw their appeal against Vettel DSQ. Bit confused, if they were adamant they had new evidence of a fuel system failure, wouldn't they be determined to push ahead with it?

tisza

Aston Martin withdraw their appeal against Vettel DSQ. Bit confused, if they were adamant they had new evidence of a fuel system failure, wouldn't they be determined to push ahead with it?

Didn't FIA say that it didn't matter whether there was a leak/failure as rules are have to produce x amount of fuel for the test/sample?

NorthernWisdom

That's Checo done for the day, didn't even get to the grid.
With all the speculation about Bottas, Perez hasn't really progressed through the season. Started OK, but hasn't got any closer to Verstappen and, if anything, seems to have gone backwards a bit. Was slightly surprised they renewed him tbh, guess the new regs went in his favour as he's pretty experienced so could be useful in developing a brand new car.

Users who are viewing this thread