Ex-soldier fights to stay in UK... (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Sometimes life confuses me. I don t think it's unreasonable to be frustrated by the tolerance shown to people who openly hate this country and the freedoms it offers while applying the letter if the law when it suits to easy targets. I would be apalled by a comment that said that all Pakistanis were terrorists, but I'm fairly sure this was just a badly phrased comment.

Fwiw I believe that ultimately the people who wish to destroy us will be successful. They are our polar opposites. Ruthless, unshaking and single minded. We have become overwhelmed by worrying about saying or doing the right thing which certainly has its plus side but could also be our undoing.

Ruthless, unshaking, and single minded? David Cameron in a nutshell.

Sky Blue Kid

@ ImARealWizard........
In 2008 she(Joanna Lumley) became the public face of a campaign to provide all Gurkha veterans who served in the British Army before 1997 the right to settle in Britain. Those serving after 1997 had already been granted permission, but the UK Government has not extended the offer to all of the Gurkhas, who are natives of Nepal. They have served Britain for more than 200 years with over 50,000 dying in service, and 13 have been awarded the Victoria Cross Challenge this!........

Macca

You probably find that the overwhelming majority of people who seek refuge in this country don't hold the extremist views that you are stating.

In fact, by definition, few people have this mindset no matter where they are born.

I challenge your view that the Government aren't concerned about this or are doing little to address radicalism in any form.

It's also worth noting that our forces have spent years invading/occupying these countries that you are naming.

You reap what you sow.

Well I guess if another terrorist attack does happen and you find yourself in the middle of it with no legs left at least you can seek comfort in your last sentence

I'mARealWizard

Well I guess if another terrorist attack does happen and you find yourself in the middle of it with no legs left at least you can seek comfort in your last sentence

Firstly, I no longer live in the UK.

Secondly, where did I state that I agreed with whichever Government of the day decided to put troops into other countries?

You seriously agree with the government taking troops into Afghanistan because of America's twisted over reaction to 9/11?

We had no right to invade the country. That was not our war, that was theirs.

Similarly, we had no real right to enter into Iraq. And God forbid that politicians seriously consider invading Iran.

In a world community, you can not 'pick and choose' which countries to invade based on your own prejudices and preferred means of ruling.

Why assist in Libya yet not in Syria?

Why invade Afghanistan yet do nothing to support 'white' farmers in Zimbabwe?

Why choose Iraq yet stand by and watch the destruction in Darfur?

If I was born in Afghanistan or Iraq and witnessed troops from oversees entering my country and dictating how things 'should be done' - I would be fucking pissed off with them too.

No matter how well meaning their actions may have been.

*For clarification - I understand that troops go to where their told and do a difficult job, often disagreeing with the motives for their actions*

Macca

Mate I totally disagree with our troops being in afghanistan and similiarly when we were in Iraq. I hate the way we sacrifice our young people to appease the yanks. I also accept that this type of foreign policy adds to the hatred if us by certain people. However all the rational thought I possess cannot prevent me from hating those people who wish to kill or maim me because of a government policy I did not dictate. I feel exactly the same about these "invaders" as the native people of Afghanistan feel about our troops. It may not be intellectual brilliance but it is my emotion.

To be honest I would bring every member of the armed forces back from these foreign follies to protect the security of this country

I'mARealWizard

Mate I totally disagree with our troops being in afghanistan and similiarly when we were in Iraq. I hate the way we sacrifice our young people to appease the yanks. I also accept that this type of foreign policy adds to the hatred if us by certain people. However all the rational thought I possess cannot prevent me from hating those people who wish to kill or maim me because of a government policy I did not dictate. I feel exactly the same about these "invaders" as the native people of Afghanistan feel about our troops. It may not be intellectual brilliance but it is my emotion.

To be honest I would bring every member of the armed forces back from these foreign follies to protect the security of this country

And I understand your feelings.

However, I am sure that you would also agree that the number of people who actually come here with intentions to cause 'terror' are incredibly small.

How difficult is it to actually blow up a plane in this country? Answer: Not very. There are many open fields and public areas around Heathrow and Gatwick from where you can launch a STA missile. How often has that happened? None.

How difficult is it to take in incendiary device onto the tube, bus, train or ferry? Not very. How often has it happened despite the 'heightened terror status'? None.

7/7 was a tragedy. And right next to a school that I taught at in London. Thankfully, these incidents are incredibly rare. If Al Queda are as well funded and connected as are made out to be, they would be able to coordinate attacks like we saw in London on a monthly basis in many countries around the world.

It suits the governments to use terror as a way of controlling and eroding civil rights. However if feeds the xenophobic fuel that is liberally sprayed throughout certain socio-economic groups in society by less than desirable characters. Which I find unpalatable and irrational.

Macca

But at no point have I suggested that all immigrants from country a, b or c are terrorists? My point is that I hate those who are whether their motivations are in some way justified or not. It was the earlier chap who started naming countries. They arrested that chap last week who was as white as my arse and I d quite happily see him swing. It's the desire to cause mass murder I have an issue with. Ditto the Norwegian nutter

Macca

Besides all conflict is futile. People a attack people b making people b resentful and angry and wanting revenge. They then attack people a who are left with similar feelings and attack back etc etc etc. Desire for power and to inflict your will on others runs through all humans

Sky Blue Kid

@ ImARealWizard......

You love this country so much, that you no longer live here....nice one!
I suggest when you actually come back here to live THEN, you can pass judgement on how the UK should be run...Not until.:jerkit:

Grendel

@ ImARealWizard......

I suggest when you actually come back here to live THEN, you can pass judgement on how the UK should be run...Not until.:jerkit:

Considering our Foreign Policy is largely directed from the White House I fail to see the relevance in where you live.

Grendel

And I understand your feelings.

However, I am sure that you would also agree that the number of people who actually come here with intentions to cause 'terror' are incredibly small.

How difficult is it to actually blow up a plane in this country? Answer: Not very. There are many open fields and public areas around Heathrow and Gatwick from where you can launch a STA missile. How often has that happened? None.

How difficult is it to take in incendiary device onto the tube, bus, train or ferry? Not very. How often has it happened despite the 'heightened terror status'? None.

7/7 was a tragedy. And right next to a school that I taught at in London. Thankfully, these incidents are incredibly rare. If Al Queda are as well funded and connected as are made out to be, they would be able to coordinate attacks like we saw in London on a monthly basis in many countries around the world.

It suits the governments to use terror as a way of controlling and eroding civil rights. However if feeds the xenophobic fuel that is liberally sprayed throughout certain socio-economic groups in society by less than desirable characters. Which I find unpalatable and irrational.

Well said, an excellent summary and my feelings as well, especially the last paragraph.

I'mARealWizard

@ ImARealWizard......

Considering you have no idea what job I'm doing, I suggest that you keep your ill-informed prejudices about me to yourself.

And as a point of order, you're not on Twatter now, so no need to act like one and use the atmark out of correct context. x

Last edited:

Macca

Considering you have no idea what job I'm doing, I suggest that you keep your ill-informed prejudices about me to yourself.

And as a point of order, you're not on Twatter now, so no need to act like one and use the atmark out of correct context. x

@ realwizard, agreed :D

Sky Blue Kid

Grendel.........
Did you reach the conclusion that you liked and agreed with what I'mARealTw@t had to say about me, or.....did you arrive at that conclusion by another one of your "Estimated Facts?" or was it "Undisclosed?"
@ I'maRealTw@t.......
I may not have your eloquence and diction when writing, but I do ok. People like yourself and Grendel(kduffy) think you're so much better than everyone else, but every now and then you'll hit the ground with a fooking big thud....Isn't that right Mr "Estimated Fact":jerkit:

Grendel

I thought he constructed his argument very well and I agreed with the points he raised.
Personally, I find you something of a bully. You resort to abuse and bigotry even over minor disagreements. I find this not to be acceptable and I believe it perfectly reasonable to challenge you when appropriate.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Can I have some of these? .... :jerkit:
I've never had one yet and feel I'm somehow missing out! :D

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
'ang on BSB! I know I'm just across the water, but that's near enough! :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread