Ex-soldier fights to stay in UK... (1 Viewer)

dutchman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18940236

_61729436_balephotoiniraq2.jpg

A Fijian man who served in the British Army for 13 years is fighting to stay in the UK after being told he must leave the country by 9 August.
Isimeli Baleiwai served in Afghanistan and Iraq, before leaving the Army in June. He is married to a UK national.
But disciplinary action for a 2010 fight with a colleague means he is considered to have a criminal record.
The Border Agency said applications for settlement by ex-forces personnel were considered the same way as all others.
"This involves consideration of a range of factors including unspent convictions, whether passed by military courts or resulting from police involvement," a spokesperson said in a statement.
Lance Corporal Baleiwai - known as "Bale" - was born in Fiji but told the BBC's Angus Crawford he now considered the UK his home. He is married to Kim - a British national with whom he has two children, aged three and six.
The 32-year-old applied for British citizenship in March 2012 because he planned to leave the Army. He left voluntarily on 15 June after 13 years' service.
Foreign and Commonwealth soldiers can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after four years' service, and citizenship after five.
L/Cpl Baleiwai served in Bosnia, Northern Ireland, Iraq twice and once in Afghanistan.
In 2011, his commanding officer said his performance was "of an exceptionally high standard". L/Cpl Baleiwai was rated "an excellent junior NCO [non commissioned officer]" who was "always leading from the front". "He is charismatic, selfless and well-liked," the officer said.
But on 28 June 2012, L/Cpl Baleiwai heard that he had been refused citizenship and would also be refused Indefinite Leave to Remain because he had what the UK Border Agency (UKBA) classed as a criminal conviction so was not of "good character". On 12 July he was informed by letter that he must leave the country by 9 August.

logo_bbcnews.png

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

This man fought for our country, and because he had a fight with a British colleague the powers that be want to deport him?
What about the trash that gets let into this country everyday that actually hate us? Iraqi, Afghani, Pakistani, etc,etc. come to this country claiming asylum, then plot to blow up British people,(Not just plot, but actually do it 7/7 springs to mind) It just shows how fucked up this Government really is!:jerkit:

rob9872

This reads like tabloid propaganda (I suspect originated in the Daily Mail as opposed to the BBC :) ) and I pray that's all it is. Of course he should stay and I would hope now that it's highlighted that the government intervene.

Of course, the likelyhood is that they probably will do so now, but had his plight remained unreported only serves to demonstrate that we have a huge flaw in our policies allowing many more undeserving to stay.

Sick Boy

What about the trash that gets let into this country everyday that actually hate us? Iraqi, Afghani, Pakistani, etc,etc. come to this country claiming asylum, then plot to blow up British people,(Not just plot, but actually do it 7/7 springs to mind) It just shows how fucked up this Government really is!:jerkit:

ahhhh....yet more racism on here.

CTID

ahhhh....yet more racism on here.

Not sure that constitutes racism. More discrimination against people who plot to (or actually do) blow up our country as opposed to people who fight for our freedom. Thats how i read it anyway.

Sick Boy

Labelling certain nationalities as trash and then claiming they all want to kill people here, perhaps?

Marty

He hasn't generally labeled any nationalities as trash, just the people who hate us and our way off life but will happily sit on benefits while then plotting to cause destruction.

Sick Boy

He hasn't generally labeled any nationalities as trash, just the people who hate us and our way off life but will happily sit on benefits while then plotting to cause destruction.

I will ask my Afghan mate later when he is planning to kill me, if I don't get back to you, you know what has happened.

Sick Boy

'What about the trash that gets let into this country everyday that actually hate us? Iraqi, Afghani, Pakistani, etc,etc. come to this country claiming asylum, then plot to blow up British people'

I think he would come under this description....:whistle:

He is an Afghan, this implies he hates the country and wants to blow people up. Fair play to people like you for watching out for everyone else...:whistle:

Marty

You really are something else.....

He was talking about individuals who hate us and our way of life, states some countries these terror suspects are likely to come from and suddenly he hates everyone from those nations and they all want to blow us up.

There's good and bad in every nation off every colour and if the actions of a small number determine your overall picture of a race/nation then it's ignorant beyond belief. Yet i'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that.

Trust me, I don't look out for anyone but myself or my family.

I'm off to bed, on the night shift. :wave:

Sky Blue Kid

Sick Boy.....

Fuck you arsehole,:jerkit: I'm not racist, but I am anti terrorist. It's been proven the countries i've specified have terrorist cells in the UK......I'm sorry Astute but......FACT!
Thank you CTID.... that is exactly my point.

Tad

My, my...someone is biting the bait today.

Mong.

To be fair, he is right. You only have to watch the news to see whats going on in these countries. It's the same countries always fighting too. We should be really watching who we let in anyway. It needs to be one of the biggest focuses now. Labour has completely ballsed up the immagration system and they've even admitted themselves.

Sky Blue Kid

Anyone that fights under the Union Jack, Ghurkas, Indian, etc, Deserves the respect from people in the UK to be able to settle here.
Because we're in the EU anyone from the Eastern Block countries can come and go as they please, but people who defended the UK can't?!?!?. Governmental policies need to be looked at...and NOW!:jerkit:

Grendel

Sick Boy.....

feck you arsehole,:jerkit: I'm not racist, but I am anti terrorist. It's been proven the countries i've specified have terrorist cells in the UK......I'm sorry Astute but......FACT!
Thank you CTID.... that is exactly my point.

Here's a fact for you. There is a greater probability of being killed by a bumble bee in this country then in a terror attack.

Sky Blue Kid

@ Grendel......

I suppose it was a Bumble Bee that killed FIFTY TWO unarmed civilians in 7/7 ?......Go and give your head a wobble you fooking moron.

Sky Blue Kid

Hey Thick Boy....I mean Sick twat......If I was racist would I be defending this soldier? A little touchy, when mentioning Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan aren't you?
btw....I couldn't give a fook what colour skin anyone has got, Black, White, Yellow.......If you're a terrorist, you're not welcome in this Country. NOW! if that makes me racist I hold my hands up.:jerkit:

Grendel

Hey Thick Boy....I mean Sick twat......If I was racist would I be defending this soldier? A little touchy, when mentioning Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan aren't you?
btw....I couldn't give a fook what colour skin anyone has got, Black, White, Yellow.......If you're a terrorist, you're not welcome in this Country. NOW! if that makes me racist I hold my hands up.:jerkit:

It doesn't make you a racist but it does make you somewhat sad and ignorant and to be honest I cannot even be bothered to argue the point with you.

Sky Blue Kid

You can't be bothered to argue the point with me, because I've just pulled down your pants and smacked your arse mate, THAT'S why you can't be bothered!!!.......Fooking Bumble Bees by fook!!!!:jerkit:

Grendel

You can't be bothered to argue the point with me, because I've just pulled down your pants and smacked your arse mate, THAT'S why you can't be bothered!!!.......Fooking Bumble Bees by fook!!!!:jerkit:

No I said I would not pursue the point as you are clearly an individual with limited intellect. There is a right wing columnist called Peter Hitchens who is the incarnate to most liberal thinkers. However his views on our war on terror are surprisingly akin to Liberty itself. Download and read these articles, if your little brain can absorb it.

Sky Blue Kid

In one year, one man and one woman died after being “bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect” while five people suffered fatal “contact with hornets, wasps and bees” and another man was fatally stung by another venomous insect......
8 deaths from various insects in one year.........52 deaths from terrorism in ONE DAY.
Another one of your "Estimated facts" eh Grendel?

Sky Blue Kid

@ Grendel....
Is that right........but I do know the diference between "Undisclosed" and "Estimated facts" though!

Grendel

In one year, one man and one woman died after being “bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect” while five people suffered fatal “contact with hornets, wasps and bees” and another man was fatally stung by another venomous insect......
8 deaths from various insects in one year.........52 deaths from terrorism in ONE DAY.
Another one of your "Estimated facts" eh Grendel?

One day in 20 years thanks for proving my point.

Macca

Sometimes life confuses me. I don t think it's unreasonable to be frustrated by the tolerance shown to people who openly hate this country and the freedoms it offers while applying the letter if the law when it suits to easy targets. I would be apalled by a comment that said that all Pakistanis were terrorists, but I'm fairly sure this was just a badly phrased comment.

Fwiw I believe that ultimately the people who wish to destroy us will be successful. They are our polar opposites. Ruthless, unshaking and single minded. We have become overwhelmed by worrying about saying or doing the right thing which certainly has its plus side but could also be our undoing.

Sky Blue Kid

@ Macca......
You put across a well reasoned point mate. With regards to my point, I don't think it was a badly phrased comment, it was a true and accurate appraisal of core terrorist attacks on the UK atm in time. At no point did I say ALL Iraqi, Pakistani, and Aghani people are bad. What I DID say was these three countries are where the threat was coming from. I have also said, "Would I be backing this soldier if I was racist".....If anyone would care to take a look at his picture on the first page, you will see he is BLACK.
@ rob9872......Thank you for that mate, I forgot about that.
To end this debate(On my side of things anyway) It comes to something when a born and bred BRIT, has to account for what his beliefs and thoughts are. I have two sons, one retired from the armed forces, who served six tours of Ireland, Kosovo, and the Gulf war. The other is still serving in the armed forces with multi tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. So anyone who wants to oppose my feelings on terrorism, bring it on, it's water off a ducks back, Both of my sons have fought against terrorism, these two boys fought, so the likes of you and me can have, albeit a restricted amount of freedom in our OWN country....Rant over!

I'mARealWizard

You probably find that the overwhelming majority of people who seek refuge in this country don't hold the extremist views that you are stating.

In fact, by definition, few people have this mindset no matter where they are born.

I challenge your view that the Government aren't concerned about this or are doing little to address radicalism in any form.

It's also worth noting that our forces have spent years invading/occupying these countries that you are naming.

You reap what you sow.

Users who are viewing this thread