Blog Ex players (like Burge!) (1 Viewer)

South West Sky Blue

Just watching EFL on Quest. Fans are like tribes, you’re with us or against us. The likes of Bellamy and others haven’t endeared themselves to the SBA with good reason.
With players like Dublin it’s a bit more nuanced. Class over years but the way they left may have left a bitter taste and a few details are still unknown to fans.
However I’ve just been watching Sunderland. Despite liking Lee Johnson (I live near where he’s from and find him a decent man), I find myself constantly wanting them to lose. I was born in the early 80s, after the controversy of Bristol City staying up instead of them.
However I look at Burge as someone who tried his best for our club and wonder if he is maligned on this forum. Yes he’s like Dracula with crosses, but a decent man, great shot stopper and a servant for our club.
In terms of how we treat ex players, do we think we treat them better than other clubs? I acknowledge and applaud the work of CCFPA?
I’ve been to many away games where our fans boo ex players, yet simultaneously also applaud them (Clarke Harris at Bristol Rovers springs to mind). I’d like to think we support the Burges and Clarke Harris’s more than other clubs do.
Am I naive (and maybe a little drunk!?). Don’t mean to be too specific, just like to treat those who have been good to us as they deserve (applauding, not booing!).

Attachments

• 1612654842778.png
    1612654842778.png
    86 KB · Views: 26

letsallsingtogether

I'm not into booing ex players regardless of how they left the club.

Not into booing the team even when they have played atrociously, a few choice words maybe but no booing.
I'm a believer that no one goes out to lose, I go to work every day always give my all yet somedays I do less then others, nothing to do with the effort I put in just how it rolls.

jonathan makin

I think we’ve been less bothered about ex players since we dropped out of the championship in 2012. The lower leagues are much more transient-players come players go & (can be) with clubs for relatively short time periods. In this “revolving door” atmosphere players can be just another face. Some players do burn their bridges like Leon Clarke who “engineered” a move to Wolves. But on the other hand we look at it from a fans perspective. The players doubtlessly see it differently-footballers playing out a relatively short career-will inevitably go where the money is (Madison Wilson etc.)

DannyThomas_1981

I find the constant derision of certain ex-players to be totally classless.

As you point out Burge was a decent lad who clearly cared about playing for us - I wish him every success as I do for most of our ex players who always gave 100% for the shirt.

And as for being critical of players who left for more money - I think 99% of us would do what is financially right for our family in the same situation - it's a very short career at the top level.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not into it. Concentrate on us. If they were here for ages I don't see the point in booing - it either comes across as classless or it'll just fire them up or sour their memory of their time with us. I may give an ex-player a quick clap if they get subbed off but that's it.

Of course there is the light-hearted 'bantz' of "City reject", which I find slightly amusing when used against players that have gone on to bigger things.

The only ex-player I've even felt the desire to boo is Bellamy for some reason. I just got the impression he felt like he was bigger than the club and didn't give 100% for us. Fact he cost so much and was Keane's replacement probably work against him too.

Sbarcher

Burge always had a goal against in him but over a season I'd say he saved us more points than he cost us.
Reading the Sunderland forum (sorry, but I was born up there and still have relatives so do keep an eye out for their results), Burge is being given a right hammering. It's fine to have an opinion and express it on here or any other forum, but it's wrong to dish out vile abuse to one of your own.

D

Deleted member 2477

Why the need to appologise for reading the sunderland forum. Dont give in to the idiot bully boys on here. If I want to read or post about other teams including Sunderland then thats my choice, if the idiots that moan dont like it then dont read it. Its what football is all about having banter and an opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Gibson's perm

I dislike all the players in our league apart from our ones. I will have booed ex players In the past and sung songs about them. I think players should celebrate goals against their former teams.

As for Burge we should have got rid of him sooner a liability and he nearly ran me over speeding out of the car park after a friendly at Rugby Town.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

The thing about Burge is that league 2 he was quality but then when we made the step up to league 1 he seemed to be less confident and that may have cane with every time an error came to a goal and when he used to boot it out, Ill remember his time with us when he helped to win us premotion to League 1, similarly to Clarke Harris

stevefloyd

I dislike all the players in our league apart from our ones. I will have booed ex players In the past and sung songs about them. I think players should celebrate goals against their former teams.

As for Burge we should have got rid of him sooner a liability and he nearly ran me over speeding out of the car park after a friendly at Rugby Town.
Did he recognise you 😳

fatso

I'd boo Bellamy even if I saw him in a library.

(Not that I go to many libraries)

Users who are viewing this thread