Ex Player Watch (6 Viewers)

Stafford_SkBlue

Carl Baker to line up with his son for Nuneaton in tomorrows FA Cup game.
I watched the previous round with Litchfield live on TV (BBC Red button), Carl totally bossed it in the second half. Son came on as sub and scored a scorcher of a goal, almost identical to their previous goal, scored by the person he replaced!

Legia Sky Blue

To be fair that must a great thing for a dad and lad to do; play together at a reasonably high level. I recall Baker being a proper family bloke and having some tragedy so this must be all the more special.

Good thoughts to the Baker boys. Hope you have a great day.

Yes I think his brother died. Baker was a big help to a friend of mine who was fund raising for 'Help The Heroes', and obviously loved playing for us so have always felt a little uneasy when posters have thrown back handed insults his way. I like to think most has just been banter but some posts seemed to have a nastier edge to them. He was also a better player than a lot gave him credit for, particularly in League 1.

As for playing in the same team as his son, I think that's fantastic. I know how proud I was to play in the same cricket team as my son, but cricket is an easier sport to play in as you get older, at League cricket level anyway, so doing so in football at semi-pro level is quite an achievement. Good luck to them!

Terry_dactyl

Yes I think his brother died. Baker was a big help to a friend of mine who was fund raising for 'Help The Heroes', and obviously loved playing for us so have always felt a little uneasy when posters have thrown back handed insults his way. I like to think most has just been banter but some posts seemed to have a nastier edge to them. He was also a better player than a lot gave him credit for, particularly in League 1.

As for playing in the same team as his son, I think that's fantastic. I know how proud I was to play in the same cricket team as my son, but cricket is an easier sport to play in as you get older, at League cricket level anyway, so doing so in football at semi-pro level is quite an achievement. Good luck to them!
This is my favourite father/son sporting moment…

Londonccfcfan

Sam McCallum was having another good game almost scored 3 games in a row but got the assist vs Everton. But has gone off injured.

Only 21. Light years ahead of Maatsen imo.

Londonccfcfan

2 years older and a championship season under his belt
Maatsen wont grow another foot in 2 years and be physical specimen that Sam looks like now.

Seems to be getting a few niggles my QPR mates saying been hes amazing for them and he was only just settling in when he made his debut for them vs us.

He will be playing premier league next year. Natural progression.

Torquay Sky Blue

Maatsen wont grow another foot in 2 years and be physical specimen that Sam looks like now.

Seems to be getting a few niggles my QPR mates saying been hes amazing for them and he was only just settling in when he made his debut for them vs us.

Didn't know being tall was the only criteria for developing into a premiership player 😳

The Philosopher

I hope our natural progression is that we don’t have to sell off good prospects to similar potential teams like Norwich for 3m. If we had have held him, what would he be worth now?

shmmeee

For some reason many on here think hes better going forward than Sam???? Absolute nuts. I seen nothing that Maatsen is even close to scoring or assisting.

Neither was McCallum last season aside from his long throws.

Maatsen’s gone off the boil last couple of games but first few matches his link up with O’Hare was excellent.

Sick Boy

Reckon he’ll have a season at the top of the Championship with Norwich, can’t see them staying up or letting him go before he’s even played for them.

Sky Blue Harry H

Reckon he’ll have a season at the top of the Championship with Norwich, can’t see them staying up or letting him go before he’s even played for them.

Have we got a sell on clause with him - I can see him moving for a decent amount eventually.

Terry_dactyl

For some reason many on here think hes better going forward than Sam???? Absolute nuts. I seen nothing that Maatsen is even close to scoring or assisting.
Maatsen looks decent but I’d agree, Sam has far more to his game at the moment. He appears to be developing into a class act.

DannyThomas_1981

Neither was McCallum last season aside from his long throws.

Maatsen’s gone off the boil last couple of games but first few matches his link up with O’Hare was excellent.

I thought he struggled first half against Millwall but was very decent second so all credit to him. What I can’t work out is if we adjusted our formation to negate Millwall constantly attacking down the right. I don’t think we did but on the other hand Millwall shifted formations which might have helped.

Pretty pleased also with Kane’s first full performance - good to have another assertive presence at RWB. Back up for Maatsen - still think we are short there but no doubt Robins has a plan for January. Not 100% convinced that Kane can switch sides to LWB but happy to be proven wrong.

CovBrummie94

McCallum really progressed last season in the latter stages after a tough introduction to the Championship. QPR are now reaping the benefit, much like we are with Hyam after his tough first year.

Maatsen is getting to grips with this division and has shown enough to say he’s going to be a quality addition over the course of the season. He’s only 19 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread