Even I must admit.... (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

I bet when Dann left us, he didn't imagine he would (could?) be playing against the likes of Crawley, Gillingham and urm, us in the old 3rd Division a few years later.

Spencer

We were £60m in debt, we doubled our money on Keane we couldn't afford to turn it down. And who's to say that macca wouldn't have rejected a contract renewal?

The wrong decision was not replacing Keane appropriately, and not bringing in Hartson sooner.

Correct - if Hartson had only come at Xmas, when I think it was first discussed but delayed on insurance grounds - I believe we'd have stayed up that season.

I loved watching Keane in a city shirt but the offer was to good to refuse.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Didnt richardson and a consortium of people put money in to buy keane,hence why we sold him asap for a massive profit?

Ah. Richardson's racehorse-styled investment venture. Queue the involvement of Mr Robinson I recall. Didn't they also 'invest' in Eion Jess? Hmmm...

The CableGuy

Correct - if Hartson had only come at Xmas, when I think it was first discussed but delayed on insurance grounds - I believe we'd have stayed up that season.

I loved watching Keane in a city shirt but the offer was to good to refuse.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we sold him for £7 million profit and years later, ended up £60 million in debt.

Colonel Mustard

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we sold him for £7 million profit and years later, ended up £60 million in debt.

I remember somebody doing a breakdown of player transfers during the Richardson regime, to find CCFC had made a handsome surplus. When you then factor in years of Premier League money and the cash from the sale of Highfield Road, one does wonder how that £60m figure came about.

lordsummerisle

I remember somebody doing a breakdown of player transfers during the Richardson regime, to find CCFC had made a handsome surplus. When you then factor in years of Premier League money and the cash from the sale of Highfield Road, one does wonder how that £60m figure came about.

We were paying huge wages for the size of the club though as well at the time to be fair.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm pretty sure we were £60m in debt at te time we got relegated from the PL.

I remember 27m being quoted-which was a lot then...

Nonleagueherewecome

Didnt richardson and a consortium of people put money in to buy keane,hence why we sold him asap for a massive profit?

Exactly. As Mustard says above, we made a healthy transfer profit under Richardson. Unfortunately the vast majority of it went into the pockets of the people who "invested" the money to sign them. It was heralded by Richardson as the answer to our dreams, a way of spending like we could never have done before.

Nonleagueherewecome

We'd have been hit with a huge points deduction for 3rd party ownership now, of course, but back then, it was all on the level, like Arthur Daley ;)

Colonel Mustard

We were paying huge wages for the size of the club though as well at the time to be fair.

Oh for sure.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...ll-wage-figures-for-the-past-25-years-301002/
http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ave-wk-wage-since-61.jpg

A couple of interesting documents there showing average salaries. According to those stats a very rough estimate would be £11m a year among a squad of 25 players in 1999.

Even if the club were overpaying, I would think that the transfer surplus, sale of Highfield Road, and annual Sky TV money would have gone a long way to plug those holes. £60m though?

Last edited:

stupot07

Oh for sure.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...ll-wage-figures-for-the-past-25-years-301002/
http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ave-wk-wage-since-61.jpg

A couple of interesting documents there showing average salaries. According to those stats a very rough estimate would be £11m a year among a squad of 25 players in 1999.

Even if the club were overpaying, I would think that the transfer surplus, sale of Highfield Road, and annual Sky TV money would have gone a long way to plug those holes. £60m though?

We signed mcallister for £3m and paid him £20k per week (£1.04m per annum). The average wage that season was £3,365 per week (£175k per annum).

Even last season forest were losing £12m per annum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...that-the-future-is-the-derby-way-6329938.html

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

We signed mcallister for £3m and paid him £20k per week (£1.04m per annum). The average wage that season was £3,365 per week (£175k per annum).

I think Dublin was on a smiliar whack. But that same squad had the likes of Filan, Borrows, Ducros and O'Neill.

Just to add: you can see the average wage almost double over the next couple of years. So the likes of McAllister and Dublin were probably just symptomatic of higher wages in football that would bite within the lifetime of their contract.

Last edited:

stupot07

I think Dublin was on a smiliar whack. But that same squad had the likes of Filan, Borrows, Ducros and O'Neill.

And we had Strachen then we added to that year on year with the likes of Whelen, hadji, chippo, issias, boatang, hedman, clement, nilsson, etc, etc

Just seen you're update. Yep wages were rising, but what was the comparison with income, ticket sales, sponsorship, tv rights PL money.

We also spent lots of money on duffers - Norman, Delorge, the Hondurans, Zuniga.

I don't know whether it was on here or gmk, but a poster had heard mcallister on talksport and he basically said we had paid him an obscene amount of money, and it was the only reason he came - too good to turn down.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

And we had Strachen then we added to that year on year with the likes of Whelen, hadji, chippo, issias, boatang, hedman, clement, nilsson, etc, etc

Yep - and we see the average wage of the PL footballer go up accordingly. It is tough to see how CCFC would be too far from the average mark when you consider the makeup of the PL teams. We certainly wouldn't have come close to spending as much as the top six, say.

Grendel

Just read that Ipswich Town have a declared debt of £73 million!

torchomatic

Mucca Mad Boys

Hypocrisy taylor? You can see venky's are shit but you stick up for our owners who are worse.

Not really, Venky's are sending a club who should be playoffs minimum down to out lowly level, 2 straight relegations, some people measure SISU on relegation and at least with CCFC, we've been on a major decline since relegation from the PL (In fact, our relegation to L1 seemed inevitable to the neutral) whereas there isn't/wasn't evidence of that with Blackburn, I had them to get playoffs this season. Their appointments have got them where they are, Berg was a joke, seriously, I could not tell you who he's managed before B'burn, and I only knew he was manager because of FM12 (when he sent CCFC down! Same with Wolves' Solbakken) then sacked him in a flash, then appointed Appleton, who I seriously don't rate as a manager and his tenure at Blackburn only vindicates those opinions. Their owners don't have a clue, I genuinely thought they were going to appoint a big name manager who has some credentials, they've down exactly the opposite.

I blame for SISU appointing poor managers, in particular Coleman, he had decent backing yet failed miserably, Boothroyd, we got sussed out from Xmas, then Thorn (do I need to explain) I've also blasted the way they've conducted the rent row, I've only said if it works, it'll be vindicated, however, I do believe a football stadium should belong to its club so I'm going to be hostile to alien ownership of the stadium and it's unarguable that the rent is too high especially as we get nothing back. I've said SISU have mismanaged us on many occasions. So no, clearly I don't stick up for them. I'm pro-CCFC, and as I've said a million times, I'll support the club 100% whoever is the owner, clearly, my support is unconditional to CCFC, and because of that, I lend conditional support to SISU when it's in CCFC's best interests!

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Madness I can only take your age as been the reason why you get it so wrong.

When Cov were relegated a further relegation to division 3 was as likely as it is now for Blackburn

The only time it was an inevitable fact was when SISU sold out the previous summer and the Juke in January.

Trust me until that summer people did not think relegation was inevitable and the actions of SISU changed that

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Not really, Venky's are sending a club who should be playoffs minimum down to out lowly level, 2 straight relegations, some people measure SISU on relegation and at least with CCFC, we've been on a major decline since relegation from the PL (In fact, our relegation to L1 seemed inevitable to the neutral) whereas there isn't/wasn't evidence of that with Blackburn, I had them to get playoffs this season. Their appointments have got them where they are, Berg was a joke, seriously, I could not tell you who he's managed before B'burn, and I only knew he was manager because of FM12 (when he sent CCFC down! Same with Wolves' Solbakken) then sacked him in a flash, then appointed Appleton, who I seriously don't rate as a manager and his tenure at Blackburn only vindicates those opinions. Their owners don't have a clue, I genuinely thought they were going to appoint a big name manager who has some credentials, they've down exactly the opposite.

I blame for SISU appointing poor managers, in particular Coleman, he had decent backing yet failed miserably, Boothroyd, we got sussed out from Xmas, then Thorn (do I need to explain) I've also blasted the way they've conducted the rent row, I've only said if it works, it'll be vindicated, however, I do believe a football stadium should belong to its club so I'm going to be hostile to alien ownership of the stadium and it's unarguable that the rent is too high especially as we get nothing back. I've said SISU have mismanaged us on many occasions. So no, clearly I don't stick up for them. I'm pro-CCFC, and as I've said a million times, I'll support the club 100% whoever is the owner, clearly, my support is unconditional to CCFC, and because of that, I lend conditional support to SISU when it's in CCFC's best interests!

Ps find me a neutral who expected us to be in division 3 when we were relegated from the prem and I will find you a mermaid with a willy

stupot07

When Cov were relegated a further relegation to division 3 was as likely as it is now for Blackburn

The only time it was an inevitable fact was when SISU sold out the previous summer and the Juke in January.

Trust me until that summer people did not think relegation was inevitable and the actions of SISU changed that

Championship predictions

2011/12
Guardian - Coventry tipped for relegation
Don goodman - 1 of 5 teams tipped for relegation battle
Telegraph -
Coventry City

The prospect of Olympic events being held in a League One stadium beckons unless some quality can be injected into the squad. Eight players, including Marlon King, left in the summer without adequately being replaced. Although Thorn sounds fairly upbeat about Coventry’s chances this season, nobody else seems to be.

Prediction: 23rd

2012/13
Guardian - blackburn - 4th favourites for the title.

Title odds
Bolton 15-2, Leicester 8-1, Wolves 10-1, Blackburn 12-1,

Grendel

Every other club relegated from the Premier League that had not been promoted again within 2 seasons have been relegated with the possible exception of Palace. We had been in the League longer than any other club.

How could it not be inevitable? Juke's sale improved the points ratio.

dongonzalos

Every other club relegated from the Premier League that had not been promoted again within 2 seasons have been relegated with the possible exception of Palace. We had been in the League longer than any other club.

How could it not be inevitable? Juke's sale improved the points ratio.

So at the end of the summer before we released Marlon, Westwood, Gunnar

Did the neutral think it was more or less likely that we would be relegated.

Same question when we sold our top striker whilst in the bottom three in January

In fact forget it.

There are some conversations not worth having ....

Grendel

Ps find me a neutral who expected us to be in division 3 when we were relegated from the prem and I will find you a mermaid with a willy

Stats aren't your thing are they?

We escaped relegation by 4 points in our second season after relegation and other than one season have always been in the bottom half.

stupot07

442 magazine.

COVENTRY have stagnated recently, but mid-table mediocrity is something to aspire to this season. Unfortunately for the Sky Blues, a relegation battle is likely to loom large, especially having lost Marlon King and Kieren Westwood.

Predicted 22nd relegated.

dongonzalos

442 magazine.

COVENTRY have stagnated recently, but mid-table mediocrity is something to aspire to this season. Unfortunately for the Sky Blues, a relegation battle is likely to loom large, especially having lost Marlon King and Kieren Westwood.

Predicted 22nd relegated.

Thanks stu
Relegation predicted after the actions of SISU

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread