eric black on talksport (1 Viewer)

philmcc

interviewed by keyes/gray and was asked about the ccfc job...sounds like he has applied, said he had unfinished business in terms of management and when asked about ccfc he said "lets see what happens....."

philmcc

he also said that it would be ideal for him due to where he lives, said he was aware of the financial problems and a logical way forward is needed financially... but the team had shown a lot of potential under Robins.

dadgad

Him going public is interesting.
Sisu are not interested in making a decision based on footballing sense or what would be perceived as "popular" by fans.
Black is going to ask for assurances. Him going public puts Sisu in a difficult position. Going to be interesting.:guitar2:

philmcc

Him going public is interesting.
Sisu are not interested in making a decision based on footballing sense or what would be perceived as "popular" by fans.
Black is going to ask for assurances. Him going public puts Sisu in a difficult position. Going to be interesting.:guitar2:

he didnt openly admit he had applied for the job but didnt rule himself out and went on to say the above, just sounds to me like he is interested and may well have sent his CV in

Walking Bird

If he has i hope he's got a better list of players he wants than last time! :whistle:

dadgad

he didnt openly admit he had applied for the job but didnt rule himself out and went on to say the above, just sounds to me like he is interested and may well have sent his CV in

So when Sisu eventually get round to giving it to Carsley we know they could have done better. Check.:whistle:

LastGarrison

Have to say he spoke very well but unfortunately Cov fans hold him as some sort of messiah and I think the pressure on him would be enormous.

In two minds whether I would want him back to be honest.

Walking Bird

Have to say he spoke very well but unfortunately Cov fans hold him as some sort of messiah and I think the pressure on him would be enormous.

In two minds whether I would want him back to be honest.

People would gave to realise that he wouldn't have anywhere near the quality of players he had back then. I cant see Bell flying the wings like Richie Partridge did or Jennings pulling the strings in midfield like Craig Hignett ! ;)

dongonzalos

Towards the end there was a joke made by Keys and Gray about going into another club with farcical owners and not wishing it on him.

Black didn't take the bait. It was interesting that he passed no opinion or comment on the state of the club.

I think if he had not applied he would have past a comment on how sad it is to see Coventry as it is.

CovLis86

Steve Clarke is the same age as Black an only just getting his first crack at management, not everyone goes into management straight away

I was just about to say this. And he's doing a blinding job.

I'd like black above many others that have been suggested. Not perfect, but you'd think within budget, right football and is interested. Don't see what boxes he doesn't tick.

Walking Bird

Unforutnately, I think it says a lot about the bloke that he's never had a full time management gig bar at us.

Wasn't he a Manager in Scotland before Macca bought him down here?
Also the way he was treated here i'm not surprised he decided to be a #2 to Bruce for years.

covcity4life

we need this guy for closure...before the club closes!

steve clarke shows that good assitant managers can be good managers

i hope he gets it,noone else jumps of the page for me

zuniga

Black would be my choice, based on the other names mentioned. Nigel Pearson is another example of an assistant becoming a manager and being a success (didn't we choose Coleman over him before he joined Southampton?)

He's got 9 years of experience in the Prem/Championship since leaving us, potentially a better manager now than he was with us before.

torchomatic

Is this really good news? He was here a decade ago and hasn't managed on his own properly since. How's he going to be without a manager to hold his hand.

I think we should be looking forward rather than back. Particularly when we need to push on if we want to get into the play-offs.

It's a nostalgia trip, pure and simple.

rupert_bear

The bring back Black everytime we have a vacancy has got on my threepennybits but you know what, this time i could go for it ! His time at Birmingham City and Sunderland has proved he's no mug and like Steve Clarke at West Brom who has been coach or assistant everywhere might just do the job and i could take a Black/Steve Keene partnership too. Both have handled big time players in coaching and managing, we need a manager to stay the course and build a new era, not some fly-by-night who;s head gets turned by the first so called better offer elsewhere.

Last edited:

brinner

wudnt really want him back in all fairness, yes we played some good stuff under him when he was manager before but for every 4-0/5-2 win there was always a 1-4 defeat round the corner, his win to games record was good, but his looss to games record almost matched it..............

P W D L was his record at us.
26 12 4 10

P W D L
61 21 11 29 is his managerial record overall including caretaker roles.

Colonel Mustard

his win to games record was good, but his looss to games record almost matched it..............

P W D L was his record at us.
26 12 4 10

A points-per-game record good enough to take the club to the brink of the playoffs over the course of a season - and that was with McAllister's ratty squad and little time for improvement. There was a serious malaise at CCFC when he took the reigns, with most accepting McGinnity's austerity argument and believing the squad was extremely limited in talent. What Black did with what he had was nothing short of remarkable.

I can understand having preferred candidates, but there is no good reason to be opposed to Black.

brinner

A points-per-game record good enough to take the club to the brink of the playoffs over the course of a season - and that was with McAllister's ratty squad and little time for improvement. There was a serious malaise at CCFC when he took the reigns, with most accepting McGinnity's austerity argument and believing the squad was extremely limited in talent. What Black did with what he had was nothing short of remarkable.

I can understand having preferred candidates, but there is no good reason to be opposed to Black.
Andy Thorn did the same with Boothroyds leftovers in his first few months in charge and look what happend to us after that!!

My preffered candidate.............Simon Grayson has already been snapped up, id love us to appoint someone who is currently doing a good job with a team but cant sere that happening as will cost a few quid and we all know sisu dont like to do that.

we will prob end up with a manager like curle who has just been sacked by a team in our division!!

Colonel Mustard

Andy Thorn did the same with Boothroyds leftovers in his first few months in charge and look what happend to us after that!!

False equivalency there. Just because Thorn failed it does not mean that Black would have done/would do.

What's more, Black had a half-season of games whereas Thorn had just ten. Nor do I think their results were comparable, with Thorn getting three victories, two of which were against middling teams with nothing to play for, while Black was going away from home and really panning teams. The entire football culture had changed, it wasn't merely a couple of sneaky, lucky-charm caretaker wins.

My preffered candidate.............Simon Grayson has already been snapped up, id love us to appoint someone who is currently doing a good job with a team but cant sere that happening as will cost a few quid and we all know sisu dont like to do that.

Agreed. It is almost certainly going to be somebody out of work or an internal appointment.

we will prob end up with a manager like curle who has just been sacked by a team in our division!!

Hope not!

Users who are viewing this thread