England win Euros or Sky Blues get promoted to Premier League? (2 Viewers)

England win Euros or Sky Blues get promoted to Premier League?

• Total voters

slowpoke

No excuses Italy were the better team especially second half when they dominated possession we can take comfort that we didn’t lose after 120 minutes in game time. Penalties always a lottery.

SlowerThanPlatt

No excuses Italy were the better team especially second half when they dominated possession we can take comfort that we didn’t lose after 120 minutes in game time. Penalties always a lottery.

It’s not a lottery. It’s a skill and test of mental strength. If it was a lottery teams wouldn’t bother practicing for them.

LilleSkyBlue

I voted for the England win because I don't want us to go up into the moneyball league and lose 0-4 every two weeks - I'm happier in the Championship

Tough though tonight, sitting in a pub in France with 90% of the kids against England as per usual

NortonSkyBlue

I was astonished that the last two guys were chosen to take penalties, I can see some sort of logic with them being young, fearless and unencumbered with historical failures but once Rashford missed his penalty the pressure was enormous and the frown on Sancho's forehead told you he was shitting himself and as for Saka he sent the goalie an email telling him where he was aiming for.
They should never have been in that situation and that falls on Southgate. England have done themselves proud but I fear may have scarred these guys for a long time.

Sick Boy

I was astonished that the last two guys were chosen to take penalties, I can see some sort of logic with them being young, fearless and unencumbered with historical failures but once Rashford missed his penalty the pressure was enormous and the frown on Sancho's forehead told you he was shitting himself and as for Saka he sent the goalie an email telling him where he was aiming for.
They should never have been in that situation and that falls on Southgate. England have done themselves proud but I fear may have scarred these guys for a long time.
And nothing to do with the more senior players not wanting to take one?

NortonSkyBlue

And nothing to do with the more senior players not wanting to take one?
No idea and nor do you. The manager says he chose the penalty takers but yes the senior guys should have stepped up. I imagine that Henderson was the most relieved player when he was subbed.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Am I alone in being astonished and disappointed that one in five of our fans would sooner that England won one match than that we had the season of our lives, and potentially secured our future? WTF.
Im with you on this but I guarantee if there was an option for both then we would have seen most of the people vote both

robbiekeane

I thought once you’d named your penalty takers you couldn’t change them?

End of the day, we had a dream start to the shootout really. Itwas ours to lose after they didn’t score their second. Rashfords miss heaped a shit load of pressure on us. Gutted

Sick Boy

No idea and nor do you. The manager says he chose the penalty takers but yes the senior guys should have stepped up. I imagine that Henderson was the most relieved player when he was subbed.
Of course he’s going to say that, he’s deflecting away from his players.

shmmeee

It's madness that some people think that if someone like Sterling had said yes Southgate would of still picked Saka o take the 5th pen

Madness to think Southgate didn’t have a plan for penalties and was just waiting for someone to say they wanted to take one. Do you think he picks the team the same way?

David O'Day

Madness to think Southgate didn’t have a plan for penalties and was just waiting for someone to say they wanted to take one. Do you think he picks the team the same way?

That's not the same is it

You aren't going to make someone who doesn't want to take a Pen just like you wouldn't select someone if the didn't think they could play that day.

Stop chatting whiff, it's what all managers do i.e. deflect attention on to them not the players

Greggs

Rashford should start teaching line dancing lessons. The pen was a disaster.

dubcov

Didn't get why Stirling and grealish sat out the penalty shoot out,they should have been gagging to take one.
bottlers. they may have been lined up to take peno 6 or 7 which id say they were. but they really should of had the balls to step up for one of the first five. sancho didnt look like he wanted to take one at all, never looked like he had the composure. in fairness maguires penalty was perfect. but really the likes of mondo grealish comin out now sayin he wanted to take one. what a wank lol

Greggs

When the going gets tough, do a dance before you take the biggest penalty of your life.

shmmeee

That's not the same is it

You aren't going to make someone who doesn't want to take a Pen just like you wouldn't select someone if the didn't think they could play that day.

Stop chatting whiff, it's what all managers do i.e. deflect attention on to them not the players

Oh you’ve got evidence those lads said they didn’t want to take one now? As you’ve got such an in with the camp please pass on my congratulations to the squad.

People miss penalties, Italy missed two. Get over it.

David O'Day

Oh you’ve got evidence those lads said they didn’t want to take one now? As you’ve got such an in with the camp please pass on my congratulations to the squad.

People miss penalties, Italy missed two. Get over it.
What are you talking about?

Legia Sky Blue

Don't think Grealish volunteering would have made the slightest difference. Always felt that Southgate was reluctantly playing Grealish as it was, and ultimately he didn't trust him. In hindsight it appears Southgate made the mistake of judging his best penalty takers from training, where the pressures were clearly entirely different to that in a match situation. Proven experience of taking penalties in a match situation should perhaps have been a preferred method of choosing the penalty takers. Not sure Sancho or Sakho had that previous experience but Grealish did, and if Sterling wasn't to take one then Calvert-Lewin might have been a better option to bring on in the last minute to take one. Having said all that, Maguire was a surprising choice but took the best penalty of the lot so its not an exact science whoever you pick.

COV

Don't think Grealish volunteering would have made the slightest difference. Always felt that Southgate was reluctantly playing Grealish as it was, and ultimately he didn't trust him. In hindsight it appears Southgate made the mistake of judging his best penalty takers from training, where the pressures were clearly entirely different to that in a match situation. Proven experience of taking penalties in a match situation should perhaps have been a preferred method of choosing the penalty takers. Not sure Sancho or Sakho had that previous experience but Grealish did, and if Sterling wasn't to take one then Calvert-Lewin might have been a better option to bring on in the last minute to take one. Having said all that, Maguire was a surprising choice but took the best penalty of the lot so its not an exact science whoever you pick.

Sancho takes them for Dortmund I think

But in that situation we should have been looking for confidence and mental strength, nothing else- Saka for instance, you knew by his face what was coming whereas Maguire didn’t look that phased and took the best penalty of all

skyblu3sk

As soon as he started that highland jig I knew he'd miss, it just overcomplicates it don't try and be clever just hit it low and hard.

mark82

It’s not a lottery. It’s a skill and test of mental strength. If it was a lottery teams wouldn’t bother practicing for them.

It's not a lottery, there is skill involved but there's also a large chunk of luck too. You can score a terrible penalty if the keeper dives the wrong way, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread