England squad (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

Behind Kane, he’s an our best player and I’m not sure why people would want him playing as an ‘8’ with more defensive capabilities. He’s better than Madison, Foden, Palmer and anyone else who’d play AM for England.

Our defence is a weak point so as much criticism as Southgate gets for his insistence on playing the double pivot, it’s the right choice for this team.

Foden is exceptional for Man City but calls for him to play centrally are wrong. He’s not impressed there for England yet. If Rashford finds good form at Man U, he gets the LW berth ahead of Foden. Despite this, I do think Foden is a better player than Rashford overall - we need more goals in our team outside Kane, Bellingham and Saka.

Foden has scored 21 goals at city this season and looks unreal in the 10 role , yea bellingham has 20 at Madrid but they aren't as good as city are they ?

Better to fit them both in and if that means playing jude as an 8 next to rice then so be it

Otis

Foden has scored 21 goals at city this season and looks unreal in the 10 role , yea bellingham has 20 at Madrid but they aren't as good as city are they ?

Better to fit them both in and if that means playing jude as an 8 next to rice then so be it
I would definitely choose Foden over Rashford.

His energy is better and his tackling and tracking back is better.

SBT

It’s an interesting shout but generally speaking you try not to play your best players out of their best positions just to accommodate inferior ones. Yes, Bellingham can do a job anywhere in the midfield, he’s that talented. In his best role (at 10) he can be a match-winner against any opposition. Can we say the same about Foden yet?

Otis

It’s an interesting shout but generally speaking you try not to play your best players out of their best positions just to accommodate inferior ones. Yes, Bellingham can do a job anywhere in the midfield, he’s that talented. In his best role (at 10) he can be a match-winner against any opposition. Can we say the same about Foden yet?
Not quite for England yet

Evo1883

I think foden had accomplished far more than jude by 20 years of age , premier league winner twice , champions league runner up , fa cup etc

SBT

I think foden had accomplished far more than jude by 20 years of age , premier league winner twice , champions league runner up , fa cup etc
He’s a wonderful player playing for a dominant team, no doubt. But you’re answering a different question to the one I asked.

Mucca Mad Boys

Conveniently raised after he overtakes Bellingham’s tally from last night.

The issue you could have with Bellingham, Foden and Kane playing centrally is that they all like to occupy the space a number 10 likes to operate. One of those players performances will likely suffer. With a weak defence, giving Foden and Bellingham more defensive responsibility, to me, isn’t a sensible idea.

Personally, playing Foden on the left makes the most sense because Bellingham and Kane are already top performers in their roles for England. Despite Foden’s Man City form, that hasn’t transferred over to the England setup yet.

On the flip side, it would be nice if we could emulate France’s 2018 setup - Bellingham and Rice being our answer to prime Pogba and Kante. Although Matuidi (a left footed DM) played LM to accommodate that despite France’s embarrassment of talent on the wings.

Evo1883

Conveniently raised after he overtakes Bellingham’s tally from last night.

The issue you could have with Bellingham, Foden and Kane playing centrally is that they all like to occupy the space a number 10 likes to operate. One of those players performances will likely suffer. With a weak defence, giving Foden and Bellingham more defensive responsibility, to me, isn’t a sensible idea.

Personally, playing Foden on the left makes the most sense because Bellingham and Kane are already top performers in their roles for England. Despite Foden’s Man City form, that hasn’t transferred over to the England setup yet.

On the flip side, it would be nice if we could emulate France’s 2018 setup - Bellingham and Rice being our answer to prime Pogba and Kante. Although Matuidi (a left footed DM) played LM to accommodate that despite France’s embarrassment of talent on the wings.

I raised the issue before hence why were having the chat , Bellingham as an 8 that gets forward whilst having foden centrally seems like the best outcome for me .

Sky Blue Pete

Rice is one of the first names on the team sheet these days isn't. Been so impressed with him for England.

It has to be Bellingham and Rice, whatever. Others to fit in around those two
Kasey palmer looking good for a squad place

Mucca Mad Boys

I raised the issue before hence why were having the chat , Bellingham as an 8 that gets forward whilst having foden centrally seems like the best outcome for me .

Every England fan knows how to win a World Cup after 3 pints, the old saying goes.

Who’s playing out on the left?
Would Rice get isolated on his own in midfield?
Does the defence have sufficient cover?

If Bellingham plays as an 8, we’re probably going to play 3-4-3, which may have the benefit of fitting in TAA. Either way, Foden gets shifted out to the left.

International football is slower, a more tactical and defensive in its nature and a lot of England fans seem to think we can play 5 attacking players without compromising

SBT

The issue you could have with Bellingham, Foden and Kane playing centrally is that they all like to occupy the space a number 10 likes to operate. One of those players performances will likely suffer.
It’s a weapons-grade hot take, and obviously there’s no way you’re dropping him even if it’s right, but I have sometimes wondered if Kane is one of the problems stopping England from being the free-flowing dominant side we think they should be. Scores boatloads of goals for England, Spurs and now Bayern, but none of those teams ever win anything….

Evo1883

Every England fan knows how to win a World Cup after 3 pints, the old saying goes.

Who’s playing out on the left?
Would Rice get isolated on his own in midfield?
Does the defence have sufficient cover?

If Bellingham plays as an 8, we’re probably going to play 3-4-3, which may have the benefit of fitting in TAA. Either way, Foden gets shifted out to the left.

International football is slower, a more tactical and defensive in its nature and a lot of England fans seem to think we can play 5 attacking players without compromising
Well Stan collymore said similar this morning too tbh , he's not a fan after 3 pints

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s a weapons-grade hot take, and obviously there’s no way you’re dropping him even if it’s right, but I have sometimes wondered if Kane is one of the problems stopping England from being the free-flowing dominant side we think they should be. Scores boatloads of goals for England, Spurs and now Bayern, but none of those teams ever win anything….
Well, given our performances without Kane in the latest friendlies and North Macedonia… I’d say that’s wrong.

Spurs have never been capable of winning the league or trophies and Bayern are a team on a downward trajectory from Pep’s days. They’ll probably end up winning the league next year and Kane finally wins a league title.

Leverkusen have been fantastic this year but I wouldn’t bet on them going back to back.

Mucca Mad Boys

Well Stan collymore said similar this morning too tbh , he's not a fan after 3 pints

Just because he said it, doesn’t mean it’s what will win us the tournament. Rio Ferdinand and Lescott also said something similar but interestingly, Lescott said that Rice and Bellingham would just have to ‘figure it out between themselves’. Which hardly screams of attention to detail.

Most of our LW options, ironically, are out of form - Rashford, Grealish and Mount who’ve played there previously. By default, Foden will likely end up at LW whether or not we play 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3.

Besides, people talk about Southgate picking teams based on form. What about international form? Bellingham and Kane have been better for England than Foden and have chemistry playing in the AM and ST role.

If Foden starts to crush it for England, it’s a different conversation.

Liquid Gold

I'd play Bellingham as an 8. I think he can do the lot.

Rice - Bellingham
Saka - Foden - Rashford
Kane

Alternative for me is to put TAA in the middle then shift Foden out wide and play Bellingham in the 10. Then you have two players not in their best positions instead of 1 and your options to change things in the two are no hopers like Gallagher.

Hertsccfc

I'd play Bellingham as an 8. I think he can do the lot.

Rice - Bellingham
Saka - Foden - Rashford
Kane

Alternative for me is to put TAA in the middle then shift Foden out wide and play Bellingham in the 10. Then you have two players not in their best positions instead of 1 and your options to change things in the two are no hopers like Gallagher.
Watching Man U v Chelsea and thinking it's difficult to argue that Palmer shouldn't be in. He's not far behind Foden. Rushford has been poor this season and doesn't deserve a place.

Users who are viewing this thread